Getting Amazon Prime Videos To Play On Pale Moon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Zirconia Wolf
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Getting Amazon Prime Videos To Play On Pale Moon

Unread post by Zirconia Wolf » 2019-03-08, 21:04

(Sorry for starting a new topic for this, but the thread I was taken to when I searched for an answer to this problem has been locked.)

I see that it is apparently possible to get Amazon Prime Videos to play nice with Pale Moon, so long as I have the Silverlight plugin (which I do) and a particular set of override codes in the config file. (Which I have not entered yet.)

The poster mentioned using the following strings...

general.useragent.override.amazon.com
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:25.8) Gecko/20151126 Firefox/31.9 PaleMoon/25.8.1

...and as that information was posted in July of last year, I wanted to know if it was still valid, or if I need different version numbers for anything now. (I can figure out the latest Pale Moon version easy enough, but have no clue about the other programs; or even if the "updated" versions matter.)

Thanks for any clarification anyone may have on this.

***** EDITED *****

After opening the config editor, I see that the current string includes the "www" before "amazon". Should I remove that, or leave it alone?
Browser: Pale Moon (29.2.0 32 bit)

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Getting Amazon Prime Videos To Play On Pale Moon

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-03-08, 21:37

Yes it's still valid. Amazon videos play fine for me.
I would remove the "www.".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Zirconia Wolf
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Zirconia Wolf » 2019-03-08, 21:49

Coolness.

Thanks for the feedback, especially about the "www" thing. I'm making the changes right now.

Zirconia Wolf
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Zirconia Wolf » 2019-03-08, 22:11

Well nuts.

Everything looked good until I got some sort of "content error 6023" message. Unfortunately all the help threads I've found so far assume I'm trying to watch on a tablet or phone (I'm on a laptop) so they aren't much help. Anyway, since this isn't an issue with the code-strings (that worked fine) and is obviously some sort of problem with Amazon or something else on my end, I won't bother anyone here with it. Just not looking forward to Amazon "customer service"....

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-03-08, 22:24

I'm guessing that's an Amazon server error. I've gotten it before and restarted PM and it would work.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

oldlinuxguy

Unread post by oldlinuxguy » 2019-04-13, 18:13

These two strings are in

Code: Select all

About:Config

general.useragent.override.addons.mozilla.org;Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:4.1) Goanna/20170101 PaleMoon/28.4.1

general.useragent.override.amazon.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:25.8) Gecko/20151126 Firefox/31.9 PaleMoon/28.4.1
But I'm still getting this error when using Pale Moon v. 28.4.1
A later version of Mozilla Firefox is required for Prime Video. To update, click the menu button (three horizontal stripes) on the web browser toolbar, click About Firefox, and then click Restart to update Firefox.
I did a complete restart to be sure Pale Moon saw the changes - same Amazon error.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-04-14, 11:13

I am using:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:25.8) Gecko/20151126 Firefox/31.9 PaleMoon/25.8.1

still works for me.
Tommy Lasorda

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-04-14, 11:56

This still looks to be a case of user agent sniffing by Amazon. If Amazon Prime wants Firefox, then change the user agent to a different value. YouTube does the same thing to Pale Moon when I want to access YouTube's new interface and I use a totally different value than the one below. Although I don't use Amazon Prime, this value below for the user agent "might" work (no guarantee) in Amazon Prime if you're using Windows 7 if Amazon wants Firefox.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:66.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/66.0
If the above value works for Amazon Prime, just remember this. As long as Mozilla keeps upping the their version numbers for Firefox; you have to keep the changing the value above because after awhile, once the version number of Firefox gets to a higher version than 66, the old coding above won't work anymore in Pale Moon so it needs to be changed also.

Most people don't keep up with the version numbers for Firefox. So what worked once for user agent sniffing, won't work anymore when one is using Pale Moon to trick websites into thinking Pale Moon is Firefox.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

oldlinuxguy

Unread post by oldlinuxguy » 2019-04-14, 22:59

I'm using MX-17 Linux but I'd think it should work the same as it's HTML.

I tried the string you provided but got the same error - so I tried this ...

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:45.9) Goanna/20170101 Firefox/66.0
Now I get a browser not compatible - use Chrome, error.

BTW: Above the Amazon string is one for Mozilla ...

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:4.1) Goanna/20170101 PaleMoon/28.4.1
And well below that is one for What's App ...

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/37.0.2049.0 Safari/537.36
And below that one for www.amazon.com ...

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20170101 Firefox/66.0
Thoughts, please?

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-04-15, 11:33

oldlinuxguy wrote:I'm using MX-17 Linux but I'd think it should work the same as it's HTML.

And below that one for http://www.amazon.com ...

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20170101 Firefox/66.0
Thoughts, please?
You have two Amazon overides?
For the one above "www.amazon.com" clear the field>save and restart PM. It will delete that overide. Then only use the
Retry the string I listed above because it does work for me on Windows and for others here using Linux.
Tommy Lasorda

oldlinuxguy

Unread post by oldlinuxguy » 2019-04-20, 02:45

Sorry, just getting a chance ot get back to this ...
billmcct wrote:
2019-04-15, 11:33
You have two Amazon overides?
For the one above "www.amazon.com" clear the field>save and restart PM. It will delete that overide. Then only use the
Retry the string I listed above because it does work for me on Windows and for others here using Linux.
I did as you suggested and am now getting this error pop-up ...
Microsoft Silverlight is not installed

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-04-20, 11:40

Download and install Silverlight. After installation restart PM. Go to the plugins and make sure it is set to always activate.
This is assuming your using Windows.
https://www.microsoft.com/Silverlight/
Tommy Lasorda

oldlinuxguy

Unread post by oldlinuxguy » 2019-04-20, 14:06

billmcct wrote:
2019-04-20, 11:40
Download and install Silverlight. After installation restart PM. Go to the plugins and make sure it is set to always activate.
This is assuming your using Windows.
https://www.microsoft.com/Silverlight/
I'm using MX17 Linux & can't find Silverlight or an equivalent for it.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-04-20, 15:50

You can try this:
https://www.noobslab.com/2014/04/pipeli ... e-for.html

Or this:
http://www.techmadly.com/download-moonl ... ux-version

This really needed to be posted in the Linux forum.
Tommy Lasorda

oldlinuxguy

Unread post by oldlinuxguy » 2019-04-20, 22:39

I just came upon this about Pipelight (Silverlight - substitute for Linux) ...

https://askubuntu.com/questions/874104/how-to-install-pipelight-on-ubuntu-16-10

is this or something like it available for MX-17 or MX-18, please?

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-04-20, 22:51

I don't know. The link I gave above says this:
In order to run Silverlight DLL in the Linux this project needs a patched version of WineHQ, which is downloaded automatically during pipelight installation.
Install Pipelight in Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty/13.10 Saucy/13.04 Raring/12.10 Quantal/12.04 Precise/Linux Mint 16/15/14/13/other Ubuntu derivatives.
Tommy Lasorda

oldlinuxguy

Unread post by oldlinuxguy » 2019-04-20, 22:53

billmcct wrote:
2019-04-20, 22:51
I don't know. The link I gave above says this:
In order to run Silverlight DLL in the Linux this project needs a patched version of WineHQ, which is downloaded automatically during pipelight installation.
Install Pipelight in Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty/13.10 Saucy/13.04 Raring/12.10 Quantal/12.04 Precise/Linux Mint 16/15/14/13/other Ubuntu derivatives.
I really don't want the mess of Wine on my laptop ... I guess I'll just live without being able to play those movies on my laptop. It's not like I have the time to waste most days anyhow ...

Thanks!

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-04-20, 23:28

They should play in Google Chrome using the HTML5 player.
Tommy Lasorda

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2019-04-21, 00:29

MX Linux uses wine-staging by default, which has the patches for pipelight, but I thought pipelight was abandoned for some other workaround. I used to build it for older versions of MX.