Pale Moon Problems <SOLVED>

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
rbeltz48
Moongazer
Moongazer

Pale Moon Problems <SOLVED>

Unread post by rbeltz48 » 2019-03-08, 12:19

I am using Pale Moon for Linux on my laptops. But for some reason certain websites are not displayed the way they should be. For example, http://www.wyndhamhotels.com has MAJOR problems. Except for the headers and footers, the rest of the pages are blank. Chromium displays the pages perfectly. I have also found this to be a problem on a number of websites. Are the developers aware of these types of problems?
Last edited by rbeltz48 on 2019-03-08, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Pale Moon Problems

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-03-08, 13:29

Do you use any extension? Does it display correctly in safe mode?
Also be aware that Chrome is less strict when dealing with certain websites configurations, unlike Pale Moon, so the problem can be in the website itself.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-08, 13:44

Looks good to me, at any rate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-03-08, 13:48

I clicked on the link and got the same blank pages as the OP did. So I turned off uBlock Origin 1.16.4.9 and still the same blank page results. But, this could also be a case of user agent sniffing since some websites only want to support the "big name" browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.

I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.4.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19.1 (Tessa) Xfce. User agent mode is Firefox Compatibility.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

rbeltz48
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by rbeltz48 » 2019-03-08, 14:09

Moonchild,

What are you doing different that I'm not doing? Running PM 28.4.0 with MX Linux 18 Xfce. Disabling Adblock Latitude does nothing.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-03-08, 16:21

On a new profile in PM portable 28.4.0 32bit with no add-ons, all I can get are blank areas.
Same in either Native, Gecko, or Firefox compatibility.

Edit: Added useragent overide and it works correctly.

Code: Select all

general.useragent.override.wyndhamhotels.com
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:25.8) Gecko/20151126 Firefox/31.9 PaleMoon/25.8.1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

rbeltz48
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by rbeltz48 » 2019-03-08, 17:47

Billmcct, Thanks for your help. I added the useragent override and it works great!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon Problems <SOLVED>

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-08, 20:29

No useragent override in place for me - I'm using the standard (firefox compatibility) user-agent setting.
Perhaps they are checking too strict and don't like your Linux UA?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-03-08, 21:48

Moonchild wrote:Perhaps they are checking too strict and don't like your Linux UA?

I get the blank spaces with the standard Firefox compatibility user agent setting in Windows 7, but found the site worked with a FF 52 override.

So then changed general.useragent.compatMode.version to 52.9, and the site displayed properly here with a Firefox compatibility user agent based on that.

PM 28.4, default FF compatibility user agent:

Error: The stylesheet https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/etc/designs/wyndham-tablet/modules/opinionlab/oo_combined.js was not loaded because its MIME type, “application/javascript”, is not “text/css”.
 Source File: https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/  Line: 0

Error: ReferenceError: PerformanceObserver is not defined
 Source File: https://wyndham.btttag.com/btt.js Line: 1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-09, 07:29

Ah! that would be it.
I had my general.useragent.compatMode.version set to 52.9 in my own browser. Probably from previous testing.

Setting it back to default breaks the site, indeed, but I get completely different errors now; a whole string of:

08:26:38.241 Strict-Transport-Security: The site specified a header that could not be parsed successfully.
So I'm not sure what they are doing, but it's breaking all over the place.
This is caused by a trailing semicolon, and actually doesn't pop up in an older UA version because they are trying to use it like a cache-control directive and double-up the entry, causing soemthing after the ; to show up (even if that's wrong, too).

The images are loaded from JS, and whatever JS they are using does not accept a 60.* Firefox user-agent string.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-09, 07:59

You may want to write them at accessibility [at] wyn.com to indicate your difficulties with their website. I say this because their "Website feedback" link is -also- broken. It's a mess.