Problem Displaying Content Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Amii_Leigh
Moongazer
Moongazer

Problem Displaying Content

Unread post by Amii_Leigh » 2019-03-06, 16:55

I adore using Palemoon and love it's ability to continue using extensions.
However, having said that, I have a problem with it not showing ~any~ content on *some* pages. Most notably, https://2019.plainfieldcs.com which on Sundays, and Wednesdays have extra live content.I have been using Waterfox to access it since Palemoon just doesn't see it as existent. I have written to the webmaster, and he had no problem with accessing the content with a default version of Palemoon with the same version of Linux Mint. So I disabled all of my plugins and extensions and tried to access the content, to no avail.It still wasn't there.I did refresh the page more than once with all of the plugins and extensions disabled. It made no difference. The content still did not appear.
What would be nice is if the site had a 'test' site to go to in order to check that your browser would work with the content presented, but I didn't want to be that presumptive that they should include that sort of thing.
So, I'm appealing to the kind community here to ask what I could possibly change or remove in order that I could see (what appears to be) hidden content.
Thank you in advance for any kind suggestions.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Problem Displaying Content

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-03-06, 17:46

You could try testing the site with safe mode (about:support -> restart in safe mode, no need to check any option, just click restart.)
The webmaster said he/she could access the content with a default installation, and safe mode is fairly close to that.
If it doesn't work still, then your current profile might be corrupted, in which case only creating a new profile can fix it.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2019-03-06, 22:41

Some information that could help us find the problem:

What distro you are running.

How you are installing and keeping Pale Moon updated.

A permalink to a problem video for others to test.

Amii_Leigh
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Amii_Leigh » 2019-03-07, 00:58

Part of the problem is that there is no permalink in order to figure out what exactly the problem is.
I do know that part of the problem is I'm not seeing anything to click on in order to start the program hosted on the site, it being Flowplayer. I have looked through the Flowplayer site to find what demo(s) cause the issue.
So far it appears that anything involving HLS (under HTML5) does not work at all. Either I get a large X in the middle of the screen, or get nothing at all on the area where the video is supposed to be.

moonbob69
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by moonbob69 » 2019-03-07, 21:15

which on Sundays, and Wednesdays have extra live content.I
If you can't see it, I guess you can't tell where in the page that content is.

Have you tried View->Page Style->No Style?

I have found that turning off CSS to sometimes be a way around otherwise blank pages, or blank frames.

Saving Tools->Web Developer->Page Source ought to always work to at least see what the problem is for future reference.

Can you see anything that uses Flowplayer from their own site?

Amii_Leigh
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Amii_Leigh » 2019-03-07, 21:59

I know basically where the content is due to my visiting the page with another browser, that being Waterfox.
I actually went to the Flowplayer site to find out that the HTS demos under HTML5 weren't working.
When the content is there on the site, All that I see is a blue box where the controls are with Waterfox.
Since Waterfox and Palemoon are both based on Firefox, are they similar enough that they could share some of the under-the-hood settings?

I'm currently using Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3
Palemoon 28.4.0

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-08, 06:38

Amii_Leigh wrote:Since Waterfox and Palemoon are both based on Firefox, are they similar enough that they could share some of the under-the-hood settings?
Survey says: [X]

(don't count on it -- and our difference with Waterfox will only get bigger as it will continue to hobble along after Mozilla -- I believe there are now plans by Alex to rebase his work entirely again on Firefox 68)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Amii_Leigh
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Amii_Leigh » 2019-03-08, 07:58

I'm only trying to figure out what would need to be changed in order that I could see this content. The webmaster's default Palemoon could access it, Waterfox can access it (once enabling flash), I restarted into Safe Mode and still couldn't access it.

Thank you all for your help so far.

biopsin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by biopsin » 2019-03-08, 11:17

Tested out https://flowplayer.com/demos/standard-setup and others, and noticed that (my default setting)
if < media.autoplay.enabled; false > I am unable playing any of the demo videos when I press play.
Setting < media.autoplay.enabled; true > videos will play when play is pressed,
fortunately this player does not autoplay content.. :thumbup:
voidlinux_x64 glibc-2.78 / selfcompiled latest Palemoon (gcc-13.2.0) / GTK2

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-03-09, 13:18

Did you ever test in the new (& otherwise untouched) Profile, as mentioned?

jaymel

Unread post by jaymel » 2019-03-12, 11:14

Amii_Leigh wrote:
I'm currently using Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3
Palemoon 28.4.0
FWIW, I'm using Mint 19.1 and Pale Moon 28.4.0 and have no problem seeing what's on that Plainfield's webpage at <https://2019.plainfieldcs.com/>. Seems a fairly simple page to me - just a weekly calendar with a table of events with links for each week. Is that what you see with Waterfox?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-03-12, 13:12

Amii_Leigh wrote:I'm currently using Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3
Palemoon 28.4.0
Off-topic:
Keep in mind linux Mint 17.3 (Rosa) is going to reach it's end of life next month, April of 2019, which might impact linux Pale Moon.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Amii_Leigh
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Amii_Leigh » 2019-03-12, 21:43

Actually, I'm talking about the content on https://plainfieldcs.com/live-services/ in which I see on Palemoon an empty rectangular blue box where there would be player controls with Waterfox,I do actually have to right click on that box and activate the controls, while in Palemoon, I don't have the option to do anything.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-03-13, 02:59

Amii_Leigh wrote:I see on Palemoon an empty rectangular blue box where there would be player controls with Waterfox,I do actually have to right click on that box and activate the controls, while in Palemoon, I don't have the option to do anything.

Windows 7 here, PM 28.4.

On the page just linked, at first I got an overlay with a message that live streaming was not currently available.
But clicking "OK" or hitting "ESC" removed that.

After which the player and its controls were properly visible here:
Initial message.
plainfieldcs-no-livestream.png
Player with controls.
plainfieldcs-livestream-player.png
As suggested above, have you tried this page in safe mode (to rule out interference by an extension),
or failing that, with a new profile?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Amii_Leigh
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Amii_Leigh » 2019-03-13, 12:20

I had hoped that short of trying a 'new' profile one of you might be able to direct me to a solution. Since I'm going to be upgrading my Operating System from LM Cinnamon 17.3 to Linux Mint Mate 18.3, I thought that I'd be installing -everything- fresh. However, since none of you have enlightened me on what exactly is wrong, there is nothing preventing my Palemoon installation from this malaise in the future.
For your information, I have restarted the browser multiple times in 'safe mode' to no effect. I do feel certain that a 'new' profile would also 'fix' the problem, however I'm in the dark on how one accomplishes making such a thing.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-03-13, 14:20

You can make a new profile from an existsing installation:
from a shell prompt, run "palemoon --ProfileManager --no-remote", then use the wizard to create a new profile.
If you are going to use that profile only for testing, make sure it's not selected as the default profile.

Amii_Leigh
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Amii_Leigh » 2019-03-14, 08:52

Thank you vanilla, that DID fix the problem. However, how will I be certain that I won't cause that same problem again in the future? However, thank you very muchly.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-03-14, 13:53

Amii_Leigh wrote:Thank you vanilla, that DID fix the problem. However, how will I be certain that I won't cause that same problem again in the future? However, thank you very muchly.
If a new profile solved the problem, the issue is either something you configured or your profile was simply corrupted.
The first case can be solved by combing through your modified preferences and see if restoring them to the default value fixes anything. It's very time consuming, yeah.
The second case is unfixable, you can only create a new profile and use it.