No sound playback with Pale Moon on Gentoo

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
segmentation-fault

Re: Palemoon on Gentoo

Unread post by segmentation-fault » 2019-03-07, 18:14

yami_ wrote:What USE flags did you use while building FFmpeg?

Code: Select all

emerge -pv ffmpeg

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ~] media-video/ffmpeg-4.1:0/56.58.58::gentoo  USE="X alsa amr amrenc bluray bzip2 encode fdk fontconfig fribidi gmp gpl hardcoded-tables iconv ieee1394 jack jpeg2k libass libcaca librtmp libv4l lzma mp3 network opengl openssl opus oss pic postproc pulseaudio samba sdl speex ssh svg theora threads truetype v4l vaapi vdpau vorbis x264 x265 xvid zlib zvbi (-altivec) (-appkit) -bs2b -cdio -chromaprint -chromium -codec2 -cpudetection -debug -doc -flite -frei0r -gcrypt -gme -gnutls -gsm -iec61883 -kvazaar -ladspa -libaom -libdrm -libilbc -libressl -libsoxr -lv2 (-mipsdspr1) (-mipsdspr2) (-mipsfpu) (-mmal) -modplug -openal -opencl -openh264 -rubberband -snappy -srt -static-libs -test -twolame -vpx -wavpack -webp -xcb -zeromq -zimg" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes avx avx2 fma3 mmx mmxext sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 -3dnow -3dnowext -fma4 -xop" FFTOOLS="aviocat cws2fws ffescape ffeval ffhash fourcc2pixfmt graph2dot ismindex pktdumper qt-faststart sidxindex trasher" VIDEO_CARDS="(-nvidia)" 0 KiB
I have an NVidia card - it is impossible to let ffmpeg set VIDEO_CARDS to nvidia (this seems to be related to opencl).

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-03-07, 21:19

Your FFmpeg USE flags look okay... And your FFmpeg definitely works, because you would not be able to watch MP4 videos otherwise. I do not know why your build can not decode those audio formats... YouTube uses opus for their WebM audio. Maybe try the official build to see if it also has this problem?

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2019-03-07, 21:39

All the tests at that website, except .caf. work for me. I have a more minimal set of use flags. alsa and pulseaudio and mp3 and opus and vorbis are all disbabled.

[ebuild R ] media-video/ffmpeg-3.3.6:0/55.57.57::gentoo USE="X bzip2 encode gpl hardcoded-tables network opengl postproc threads truetype vaapi vpx webp x264 x265 zlib -alsa (-altivec) -amr -amrenc -bluray -bs2b -cdio -chromaprint -chromium -cpudetection -debug -doc -fdk -flite -fontconfig -frei0r -fribidi -gcrypt -gme -gmp -gnutls -gsm -iconv -iec61883 -ieee1394 -jack -jpeg2k -kvazaar -ladspa -libass -libcaca -libilbc -librtmp -libsoxr -libv4l -lzma (-mipsdspr1) (-mipsdspr2) (-mipsfpu) (-mmal) -modplug -mp3 -nvenc -openal -openh264 -openssl -opus -oss -pic -pulseaudio -rubberband -samba -sdl -snappy -sofalizer -speex -ssh -static-libs -test -theora -twolame -v4l -vdpau -vorbis -wavpack -xcb -xvid -zeromq -zimg -zvbi" CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes avx mmx mmxext sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 -3dnow -3dnowext -avx2 -fma3 -fma4 -xop" FFTOOLS="aviocat cws2fws ffescape ffeval ffhash fourcc2pixfmt graph2dot ismindex pktdumper qt-faststart sidxindex trasher" 0 KiB
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

segmentation-fault

Unread post by segmentation-fault » 2019-03-07, 22:21

yami_ wrote: I do not know why your build can not decode those audio formats... YouTube uses opus for their WebM audio.
I have saved the build.log file just before it was deleted (when emerge completes successfully, it deletes the build, work etc. directories - one can keep them with some switch, but I only want this for unsuccessful merges). Searching for "opus" in there reveals only a line with "libmedia". Here are all such lines (extracted with 'grep libmedia build.log'):

10:27.78 libmedia_libstagefright.a.desc
13:50.09 libmedia_libwebp_dec.a.desc
13:51.96 libmedia_libogg.a.desclibgfx_harfbuzz_src.a.desc
13:53.45 libmedia_libmkv.a.desc
14:00.93 libmedia_libtheora.a.desc
14:09.40 libmedia_libvorbis.a.desc
14:12.88 libmedia_libwebp_moz.a.desc
14:13.89 libmedia_libwebp_demux.a.desc
14:17.05 libmedia_libwebp_utils.a.desc
14:24.13 libmedia_libopus.a.desc
14:25.53 libmedia_libwebp.a.desc
14:27.38 libmedia_libnestegg_src.a.desc
14:33.98 libmedia_libwebp_dsp.a.desc
14:48.53 libmedia_libvpx.a.desc
15:00.01 libmedia_libjpeg.a.desc
15:28.06 libmedia_libav.a.desc
15:31.85 libmedia_libav_libavutil_x86.a.desc
15:31.91 libmedia_libsoundtouch_src.a.desc
20:44.62 libmedia_kiss_fft.a.desc
21:56.78 libmedia_ffvpx_libavutil_x86.a.desc
22:17.75 libmedia_ffvpx_libavcodec_x86.a.desc
22:25.20 libmedia_standalone.a.desc
Looks as though all codecs are compiled into a static library libmedia_standalone.a.
yami_ wrote: Maybe try the official build to see if it also has this problem?
What is the official build exactly? The one that uses the exact same flags as they appear in the IUSE variable of the ebuild? The only thing I remember changing in USE flags is gtk2 (being replaced by gtk3) (pulseaudio is in the IUSE variable). I find GTK3's file open dialog unintuitive, to say the least (you have to know, for example, that you must press CTRL+L in order to get an input field to paste a file path from the clipboard :roll:) - but I am reluctant to recompile Palemoon with a different graphics/UI library on the grounds of codecs/sound problems.

Palemoon with GTK3 works fine here. Besides general GTK3 criticism (as in the case of the open file dialog above), there is absolutely no negative experience to report - I recommend it to everybody who has avoided GTK3 until now.

So...while we are at it...why don't you give it a try? :twisted: At least, we know that sound is fully working for you - so your starting position is better than mine. ;)

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-03-07, 23:18

segmentation-fault wrote:Looks as though all codecs are compiled into a static library libmedia_standalone.a.
This library is probably a part of libmozavcodec dynamic library.
segmentation-fault wrote:What is the official build exactly?
By official build I mean binaries from here: http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/.
segmentation-fault wrote:So...while we are at it...why don't you give it a try? :twisted: At least, we know that sound is fully working for you - so your starting position is better than mine. ;)
I can not build a GTK3 version of Pale Moon right now, but I tried a GTK3 builds of both Basilisk and Borealis and I was able to play all (excluding the "CAF" sample) test audio files from the site I linked earlier. So, yeah, this issue is not likely to be GT3 related. And yes, I agree that the GKT3 save dialog in not optimal.

segmentation-fault

Unread post by segmentation-fault » 2019-03-08, 00:10

:arrow: @yami_

I will try the official binary and will report here very soon.
yami_ wrote: This library is probably a part of libmozavcodec dynamic library.
I cannot see any such dynamic library in the output of ldd /usr/bin/palemoon (I have piped it to sed to hide the hex locations):

ldd /usr/bin/palemoon | sed -e 's/ (.*//'
        linux-vdso.so.1
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib64/libpthread.so.0
        libdl.so.2 => /lib64/libdl.so.2
        libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/7.3.0/libstdc++.so.6
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/7.3.0/libgcc_s.so.1
        libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6
        /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
        libm.so.6 => /lib64/libm.so.6
:arrow: @Walter Dnes

I wrote a small script, a one-liner:

myUSE='X alsa amr amrenc bluray bzip2 encode fdk fontconfig fribidi gmp gpl hardcoded-tables iconv ieee1394 jack jpeg2k libass libcaca librtmp libv4l lzma mp3 network opengl openssl opus oss pic postproc pulseaudio samba sdl speex ssh svg theora threads truetype v4l vaapi vdpau vorbis x264 x265 xvid zlib zvbi (-altivec) (-appkit) -bs2b -cdio -chromaprint -chromium -codec2 -cpudetection -debug -doc -flite -frei0r -gcrypt -gme -gnutls -gsm -iec61883 -kvazaar -ladspa -libaom -libdrm -libilbc -libressl -libsoxr -lv2 (-mipsdspr1) (-mipsdspr2) (-mipsfpu) (-mmal) -modplug -openal -opencl -openh264 -rubberband -snappy -srt -static-libs -test -twolame -vpx -wavpack -webp -xcb -zeromq -zimg'; yourUSE='X bzip2 encode gpl hardcoded-tables network opengl postproc threads truetype vaapi vpx webp x264 x265 zlib'; for u in $yourUSE; do echo "USE flag: $u"; echo "$myUSE" | grep "$u"; read x; done
myUSE contains my USE flags, yourUSE yours. ;)

The script just greps my USE flags for each USE flag of yours, prints what it finds and waits for the user to enter something (I just press [ENTER]). Since grep (on my system) colors the matching part of a line, I find this a very convenient way to see your flags in mine - they are highlighted in red and I can immediately see if they have a minus sign prepended.

This way I found that the only USE flags that you have enabled but I miss, are vpx and webp. From the output of equery uses ffmpeg, the descriptions of those two flags are:

- - vpx : Enables vp8 codec support using libvpx: Decoding vp8 does not require this to be enabled but libvpx can also be used for decoding; encoding vp8 requires this useflag to be enabled though.
- - webp : Add support for the WebP image format

Given that webp has to do with images, I don't expect it to be relevant. From the description of vpx, it is not required for decoding. Do you (or anyone here) think it might still be crucial to the sound issues I am experiencing?

FWIW audacious plays the OGG, FLAC and MP3 test files from that site fine. It does not even display the CAF, OPUS, WAV, WEBA or WEBM test files in the list, when I open the local directory that contains all.

segmentation-fault

Unread post by segmentation-fault » 2019-03-08, 00:46

I have tried the official binary. It is built with GTK2. :shh:

It exhibits the exact same behaviour as my my own build, regarding youtube videos and sound in that test page. The binary loads the same dynamic libraries too:

ldd ~/Downloads/palemoon/palemoon | sed -e 's/ (.*//'
        linux-vdso.so.1
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib64/libpthread.so.0
        libdl.so.2 => /lib64/libdl.so.2
        libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/7.3.0/libstdc++.so.6
        libm.so.6 => /lib64/libm.so.6
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/7.3.0/libgcc_s.so.1
        libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6
        /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
so the problem lies in the codecs somewhere. Note that in both official binary and my own build the ALSA system works fine, even when I open, say, two youtube videos in tabs and have audacious play some file - they are all mixed as configured, with the ALSA dmix plugin. So this seems to be some codec/library problem on my part. Since the official binary has the same problems and successes, it is not something I missed to include in the palemoon build, nor anything GTK2-related.

As a next step I will restart the official build in Safe Mode...I have already disabled NoScript for these tests, but I want to make sure that no other extension gets in the way (the official binary reuses an existing profile of the user, so it also loads the same extensions).

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-03-08, 00:53

segmentation-fault wrote:The binary loads the same dynamic libraries too:
ldd will not tell you this, but the main executable also loads libxul. And I need to correct myself: libmozavcodec contains libVPX. Other decoders are statically linked to libxul.

segmentation-fault

Unread post by segmentation-fault » 2019-03-08, 01:00

No change at all with the official binary in Safe Mode...same successes and same failures as in normal mode, as well as in my own build.

What inhibiting part do I have in my system that you all don't - and what enabling codec/library do I miss that you all seem to have?

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-03-08, 01:26

Do you have libopus installed?

segmentation-fault

Unread post by segmentation-fault » 2019-03-08, 01:31

yami_ wrote:Do you have libopus installed?
Yes, media-libs/opus-1.2.1 is installed, with USE flags

(-ambisonics -custom-modes -doc -static-libs ABI_MIPS="-n32 -n64 -o32" ABI_PPC="-32 -64" ABI_S390="-32 -64" ABI_X86="64 -32 -x32" CPU_FLAGS_ARM="-neon" CPU_FLAGS_X86="sse")

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-03-08, 01:40

Okay, do you also have libav and libwavpack?

segmentation-fault

Unread post by segmentation-fault » 2019-03-08, 02:41

yami_ wrote:Okay, do you also have libav and libwavpack?
media-video/libav is not installed. But AFAIK media-video/libav cannot be installed together with media-video/ffmpeg - this is controlled by virtual/ffmpeg. I have media-video/ffmpeg-4.1 installed. I do remember *libav* names of libraries in build.log:

15:28.06 libmedia_libav.a.desc
15:31.85 libmedia_libav_libavutil_x86.a.desc
21:56.78 libmedia_ffvpx_libavutil_x86.a.desc
22:17.75 libmedia_ffvpx_libavcodec_x86.a.desc
(Shouldn't x86 be x86_64 in the names?)

but ffmpeg builds libav* libraries too:

/usr/lib64/libavcodec.so
/usr/lib64/libavutil.so
If there is some hard dependency on media-video/libav that would explain why I have all the codecs (in ffmpeg) and still can't decode the test files in the browser (while I can do this in audacious now, see below).

media-sound/wavpack-5.1.0-r1 is installed - but I guess this is required for encoding only.

I can listen to all test sound files from https://hpr.dogphilosophy.net/test/index.php in audacious now (after I downloaded and stored them locally, that is). I obviously had to enable the ffmpeg USE flag in media-plugins/audacious-plugins - I enabled a few others by the way and the whole set of USE flags looks now like this:

aac alsa cdda ffmpeg flac http jack lame libsamplerate mms mp3 nls opengl pulseaudio qt5 qtmedia sdl sndfile vorbis -adplug -ampache -bs2b -cue -fluidsynth -gme -libav -libnotify -lirc -modplug -scrobbler -sid -soxr -speedpitch -wavpack
(I could even enable wavpack, I see now, as I already have it installed :) ).

So all that remains is why the browser says it "can't decode" format X, for various sound formats X - is it a libav vs. ffmpeg fight?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-08, 06:46

I'm re-titling this thread to be more descriptive.
Please also see: app.php/rules#good-topics
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

yami_

Re: No sound playback with Pale Moon on Gentoo

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-03-08, 14:05

segmentation-fault wrote:If there is some hard dependency on media-video/libav that would explain why I have all the codecs (in ffmpeg) and still can't decode the test files in the browser (while I can do this in audacious now, see below).
The platform will try to load several FFmpeg/libav versions: http://xref.palemoon.org/uxp-trunk/sour ... ker.cpp#28. You can actually see it by using strace:

term% strace palemoon &>trace.log
term% grep "open(.*\.so.*)" <trace.log | more

segmentation-fault

Unread post by segmentation-fault » 2019-03-09, 01:54

yami_ wrote:You can actually see it by using strace:

term% strace palemoon &>trace.log
term% grep "open(.*\.so.*)" <trace.log | more
The strace command with output redirection to file proved to be very helpful! I am still investigating. Here is what I have found with its help so far:

Palemoon loads all relevant libraries for the various formats. It does not seem to be a library issue:

openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/lib64/libavcodec.so.58", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 84
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/lib64/libswresample.so.3", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 84
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/lib64/libavutil.so.56", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 84
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/lib64/libvpx.so.3", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 84
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/lib64/libfdk-aac.so.1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 84
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/lib64/libmp3lame.so.0", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 84
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/lib64/libopus.so.0", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 84
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/lib64/libspeex.so.1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 84
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/lib64/libtheoraenc.so.1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 84
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/lib64/libtheoradec.so.1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 84
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/lib64/libvo-amrwbenc.so.0", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 84
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/lib64/libx264.so.152", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 84
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/lib64/libx265.so.160", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 84
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/lib64/libxvidcore.so.4", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 84
(I have omitted, or missed, quite a few in the above list)

At first, I saw that PM was trying to access Realplayer (that's an application I had 10 years ago! :shock: ). It reads the user mailcap file, then the system-wide mailcap and associates application/ogg with realplay:

openat(AT_FDCWD, "/home/XXXXXX/.mailcap", O_RDONLY) = 81
read(81, "application/vnd.sun.xml.writer;/"..., 4096) = 4096
read(81, "lplay %s\napplication/ogg;/usr/li"..., 4096) = 3055
read(81, "", 4096)                      = 0
close(81)                               = 0
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/etc/mailcap", O_RDONLY) = 81
read(81, "\ntext/plain; less '%s'; needster"..., 4096) = 2235
read(81, "", 4096)                      = 0
close(81)                               = 0
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/home/XXXXXX/.mailcap", O_RDONLY) = 81
read(81, "application/vnd.sun.xml.writer;/"..., 4096) = 4096
read(81, "lplay %s\napplication/ogg;/usr/li"..., 4096) = 3055
read(81, "", 4096)
This stale association indicates that it is a MIME misconfiguration: I had 10-year old ~/.mailcap and ~/.mime.types files. The latter had "mime types added by Netscape Helper"...These did not seem to be bad (there were only a few sound-related entries, all about MP3), but the user ~/.mailcap file was worse:

#mailcap entry added by Netscape Helper
application/x-ogg;/usr/lib/RealPlayer10/realplay %s
application/ogg;/usr/lib/RealPlayer10/realplay %s
text/vnd.rn-realtext;/usr/lib/RealPlayer10/realplay %s
image/vnd.rn-realpix;/usr/lib/RealPlayer10/realplay %s
application/smil;/usr/lib/RealPlayer10/realplay %s
audio/mp3;/usr/lib/RealPlayer10/realplay %s
audio/x-mp3;/usr/lib/RealPlayer10/realplay %s
audio/mpeg;/usr/lib/RealPlayer10/realplay %s
audio/mpg;/usr/lib/RealPlayer10/realplay %s
audio/x-mpeg;/usr/lib/RealPlayer10/realplay %s
audio/x-mpg;/usr/lib/RealPlayer10/realplay %s
audio/mpegurl;/usr/lib/RealPlayer10/realplay %s
audio/x-mpegurl;/usr/lib/RealPlayer10/realplay %s
audio/wav;/usr/lib/RealPlayer10/realplay %s
audio/x-wav;/usr/lib/RealPlayer10/realplay %s
audio/x-pn-wav;/usr/lib/RealPlayer10/realplay %s
audio/x-pn-windows-acm;/usr/lib/RealPlayer10/realplay %s
audio/x-pn-windows-pcm;/usr/lib/RealPlayer10/realplay %s
...and lots more! I renamed both files. Now the only mailcap and mime.types files available are the system-wide ones

/etc/mailcap
/etc/mime.types

as installed by their respective packages,

net-mail/mailbase
app-misc/mime-types

and without any changes by me. After that I updated the MIME database:

(for each user) $ update-mime-database ~/.local/share/mime/
(as root) # update-mime-database /usr/local/share/mime/ 
Now, the situation is still the same, but what I am getting in the trace log file is that, for example, for the .ogg file it seems to think that it has to load kaffeine (or even quicktime?):

stat("/usr/share/mime/mime.cache", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=171912, ...}) = 0
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/applications/org.kde.kaffeine.desktop", O_RDONLY) = 80
fstat(80, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0755, st_size=5298, ...}) = 0
read(80, "[Desktop Entry]\nName=Kaffeine\nNa"..., 4096) = 4096
read(80, "x-ogg;application/x-quicktime-me"..., 4096) = 1202
read(80, "", 4096)                      = 0
close(80)                               = 0

...a few lines further:

stat("/usr/bin/kaffeine", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0755, st_size=1431592, ...}) = 0
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/home/XXXXXX/.local/share/mime/audio/flac.xml", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/local/share/mime/audio/flac.xml", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/mime/audio/flac.xml", O_RDONLY) = 80
fstat(80, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=537, ...}) = 0
read(80, "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"ut"..., 537) = 537
close(80)
It is interesting that, in the above, it does not open

/usr/share/mime/audio/ogg.xml

but (at least it seems so) it goes directly to

/usr/share/mime/audio/flac.xml

I still have to find out how kaffeine makes it into the mime.cache file, as I haven't found any .xml file containing 'kaffeine' and used by mime-update-database...

Any hints are welcome, as always... :)

:arrow: An interesting question is why Palemoon (a browser) honours the user and system mailcap files (which are email-related). This seems to be a legacy from times when the browser was a suite, containing also a mail client...

:arrow: And why don't I see *any* of the MIME associations read into the browser under Preferences -> Applications - besides ZIP, Podcast, Video podcast and Web feed? It would be helpful to see if the browser associates .ogg files with kaffeine, for example. That would make such excursions to config hell less necessary...

bgstack15
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by bgstack15 » 2019-03-11, 18:37

MIME stands for Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions, and was originally intended for use in email systems. So it makes sense to me that a web browser, which can try to open a program with a downloaded file, or otherwise take actions based on filetype, would look in places where filetypes are defined and described.

segmentation-fault

Unread post by segmentation-fault » 2019-03-12, 14:09

segmentation-fault wrote: An interesting question is why Palemoon (a browser) honours the user and system mailcap files (which are email-related). This seems to be a legacy from times when the browser was a suite, containing also a mail client...
I think I can answer this myself: mime.types has associations of MIME types to file endings, while mailcap has associations of MIME types to applications - so they are both needed.

I still have to find an answer to my second question, though - and find out what exactly the browser is trying to do when I try to listen to an .ogg, .wav, .flac or similar file... For .ogg, for example, I have in /etc/mime.types:

application/ogg           ogg ogx
audio/ogg                   oga ogg opus spx
video/ogg                   ogv
while there is no entry, neither for application/ogg, nor for audio/ogg, nor for video/ogg in my /etc/mailcap - maybe I miss one, say for audio/ogg? Not sure... :think:

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2019-03-14, 21:45

I don't have any "ogg" entries in mailcap, and things work for me.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-03-15, 11:17

I believe ogg is simply handled internally using the built-in media player.
Some types are handled like that, like PNG, JPG, and some audio types.
Looking up MIME associations would mean Pale Moon requires an external program to display/play those files (think of how many years ago browsers required Flash to display videos.)