Trouble with the 'guardian' site

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
mmouse
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Trouble with the 'guardian' site

Unread post by mmouse » 2019-02-25, 08:48

Trying to get to
www.theguardian.com
hangs palemoon (last version)
I tried to get back to 28.3.1 and it's the same.
Palemoon is responsive to the mouse for a few seconds then the site continues to display it's photos and it's curtain for Palemoon (not responsive.. click to close)
Firefox 65.01 displays the site without hanging.

C1xLb

Re: Trouble with the 'guardian' site

Unread post by C1xLb » 2019-02-25, 10:40

Loaded fine for me? I just created a new profile, so maybe that's part of the problem?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-02-25, 11:50

Works For Me™. Have you tried Safe Mode?
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-02-25, 12:34

@ mmouse

I have no problems accessing The Guardian site using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.4.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19.1 (Tessa) Xfce. Your profile might have gotten corrupted somehow or you have an extension which is too old or got corrupted.

But, if you re-installed 28.3.1 and the problem remains in 28.3.1, it is because your profile is now corrupted since you can't simply can't go back to a previous version and expect things to work like it did in (28.3.1).

Try a "clean" new profile (no extensions, no customizations) in 28.4.0 and see if the new clean profile fixes the problem for the The Guardian site. Then start adding back your extensions "one by one". Ditto for customizations.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-02-25, 16:46

Unless noted in the relnotes the profile migration situation is generational as in on a milestone basis since we don't typically alter the profile format. So beween 24-26, 27, 28 are different profile generations you can't go back anf forth with.

mmouse
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by mmouse » 2019-02-26, 08:19

Thanks to everyone trying the site
Creating a new profile did not help at all.
I have another computer with straight out-of-the-box Ubuntu 16.04 LTS that I don't use much for browsing, as I had never installed Palemoon on it it was a new profile, same bad behaviour

For the record I borrowed the use of a Windows computer and Palemoon works fine here with theguardian.com.

I can add that when I can still act on the site (for the 15 first seconds or so) if I display the Web console it seems to break the timer loop and I can still access the Dom; the bad stuff seems to live a flexbox animation with beziers curve, some CSS 3 thingjy that the nice devs acting for the Guardian have added recently. When it behaves an orange circle generates another green circle and it stops there, when I see the problem the second circle appears and immediately start to flash constantly, Cpu use of X (or XWayland, no matter) goes 90% and Palemoon stops to respond to any user input while not taking much Cpu itself (but it's not dead, it seems to still fetch data from the web and display new stuff,under Firefox I was able to see that it fetches 'data' and post 'data' constantly to advertisers, something that Firefox seems to block)

If I knew a way to disable these Css 3 animations I would try it but I don't, no time to search more for now.

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2019-03-01, 18:44

I had the same problem with PM on my linux antiX laptop.
The problem is those repeating photos which is something new on The Guardian. They cause PM to freeze and become unresponsive.
I notice that The Guardian has stopped with the photo after a couple of days. Now their website works fine and does not freeze.
Hopefully, they will not return to the photo exhibit.

mmouse
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by mmouse » 2019-03-02, 00:43

Yes Palemoon has not changed but the site has and it works again now.
So problem solved, in a way.

mondkuchen

Unread post by mondkuchen » 2019-03-20, 17:13

Hi there,

I found lots of issues in the forum with specific sites, that make PM freeze. For me it was songkick.com and gutefrage.net. I'm here with PM 28.2.1, 64bit Linux.
Some refer this to addons, I've tried to disable all of them, no change.
What solved the problem for me (or maybe it's more like a workaround): disabling javascript via the addon "Toggle JavaScript", then the sites will load properly, no freeze. I don't know yet how good they work without javascript, but at least I can visit them and I'm a step further now.

Best regards,
mondkuchen