Technical: Debian 8 and Ubuntu 14.04 32-bit sbuilds fail

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Technical: Debian 8 and Ubuntu 14.04 32-bit sbuilds fail

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2019-01-18, 21:23

They all fail with the message that "virtual memory is exhausted". Setting the build to use only one thread in the mozconfig makes no difference.

These are Debian sbuild schroots cross compiling for 32-bit on a 64-bit Stretch base, which I do for the MX repos and that guy who still wants PM on Ubuntu Trusty. Debian 8 uses gcc-4.9, and the Trusty build gcc-5 from a ppa. PM won't build at all in my usual, faster pbuild procedure, even 64-bit, like Firefox and other Mozilla versions, so I was happy to learn that they would build using sbuild.

64 and 32-bit Stretch builds, which use gcc-6 6.3, succeed, even using twelve compiling threads. I've been resorting to doing the failed 32-bit builds in Virtual Box instead, which is much more of a pain and takes up a lot more of my precious, precious disk space. So I'm wondering if there are any magic flags I can pass to these older gcc versions that will reduce memory use and get them to build successfully?

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Technical: Debian 8 and Ubuntu 14.04 32-bit sbuilds fail

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2019-01-18, 22:17

I do a 32-bit build (customized for my laptop) inside a CentOS chroot on my Gentoo 64-bit host. It builds fine with gcc 7.3.1 and runs fine on Puppy Slacko 5.4, which is pretty ancient. https://www.youtube.com/html5 is 4 blues out of 6, but that's because the ancient OS doesn't support h264. Can you load a newer gcc into your build environment? You may have to check with Travis and Moonchild about whether that's still "official Pale Moon".
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Re: Technical: Debian 8 and Ubuntu 14.04 32-bit sbuilds fail

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2019-01-19, 00:50

It's approved with up to gcc-8 now. A newer gcc is currently not going to happen for Debian 8, but that PPA does have ggc-6 and 7 for Ubuntu Trusty, so I can just tweak the gcc version specified in the build to 6 or 7 and see what happens. Thanks for that!