[SOLVED] Installing in Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon ???

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
BuckSkin

[SOLVED] Installing in Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon ???

Unread post by BuckSkin » 2019-01-16, 22:38

Just a few questions regarding Pale Moon and Linux.

Was Pale Moon initially a Linux only thing and then later branched out to Windows; or, was it the other way around ?

Does Pale Moon for Linux come it a handy installer like for Windows, or does one have to do a bunch of Linux stuff to get it installed ?

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.
Last edited by BuckSkin on 2019-01-17, 05:45, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Installing in Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon ???

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-01-16, 22:47

BuckSkin wrote:Just a few questions regarding Pale Moon and Linux.

Was Pale Moon initially a Linux only thing and then later branched out to Windows; or, was it the other way around ?

Does Pale Moon for Linux come it a handy installer like for Windows, or does one have to do a bunch of Linux stuff to get it installed ?
Pale Moon was a windows only program which (I think) was released in 2009. Then in January of 2014, a linux Pale Moon version was released.

Someone else will have to answer your linux Pale Moon installation. I don't install my linux Pale Moon in linux Mint 19.1 (Tessa) Xfce. I run PM from its executable file.

Since PM is not installed, I have to create the PM launcher icon which is found in the Image File which is contained in the the Pale Moon folder which I extract from the Pale Moon tarball. Takes me about 3 minutes of time to create the linux PM launcher icon but I prefer it this way.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2019-01-17, 04:25, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-01-16, 23:29

If you download the tarball, you have to do "a bunch of Linux stuff to get it installed." Easy instructions here. Alternately, you can install PM using Steve Pusser's PPA found here (use the Ubuntu link). Or you can just use Night Wing's way.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2019-01-17, 00:06

It's not a PPA, it's an OBS repo. If I knew how, it could build and host packages for many more distros than just Debian and Ubuntu. PPAs only build Ubuntu packages. Mint 19 uses Ubuntu 18.04 packages.

If you look at the first page of this forum's active threads, you'll see that there are approved third party repositories for Debian, Ubuntu, and then Centos and Fedora. Pale Moon is also in some distros' repositories already: https://repology.org/metapackage/palemoon/versions

If you are running a compatible distro, you could do it the "Windows Way"--downloading and installing the palemoon package directly from the OBS repo. Debian and Ubuntu use deb packages, and there are several good ways to install a local deb package, some even with GUIs! I'm sure the same exists for rpm packages.

BuckSkin

Unread post by BuckSkin » 2019-01-17, 00:56

helloimustbegoing wrote: you can install PM using Steve Pusser's PPA found here (use the Ubuntu link)..
I am guessing I had best already be in Linux when I go there and download whatever, right ?
Will that be an installer ?

I found a photo program that I am familiar with already loaded up and ready to go in a "Software Manager" window of Mint; I just clicked it and let Mint do the rest; could Pale Moon also be included in this Software Manager so all one had to do was click it and get out of the way ?

One thing I have to say about Linux, one has to learn a completely new language in order to have a chance of understanding what is being said.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-01-17, 01:31

BuckSkin wrote:
I am guessing I had best already be in Linux when I go there and download whatever, right ?
You have to be if using Steve's repo; it will install PM directly (it's not an installer file).
BuckSkin wrote:
could Pale Moon also be included in this Software Manager so all one had to do was click it and get out of the way ?
Someone would have to be a dedicated PM maintainer in Mint's (or Ubuntu's) repos for that to happen. Don't hold your breath on that one.
BuckSkin wrote:
One thing I have to say about Linux, one has to learn a completely new language in order to have a chance of understanding what is being said.
Being a Linux newbie, you picked the best distro for you. Mint probably has the friendliest forum in the Linux world. I started out on Mint (using Devuan now).

BuckSkin

Unread post by BuckSkin » 2019-01-17, 02:26

Okay....,
I am in Linux and looking at the "Steve Pusser Install package home"

When I click ubuntu, two choices appear "Add repository and install manually" or "Grab binary packages directly"

What happens if I click the add repository choice ?

What happens if I click "Grab binary etc." ?

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-01-17, 02:42

I can't answer that as I have never used Steve's repo (I download the tarball straight off of PM's site). I can tell you one thing though. If you use Steve's repo and select "Add repository and install manually" you will have to follow the instructions for Ubuntu 18.04 as that is what Mint 19.0 and 19.1 is based on (same thing applies if you select "Grab binary packages directly," download the .deb file for Ubuntu 18.04). This (adding the repository) probably would be the best way to go since by adding his repo, you'd get PM updates inside of the Software Manager (I think).

BuckSkin

Unread post by BuckSkin » 2019-01-17, 05:44

I am posting this from Pale Moon in Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon so it must have worked.
I downloaded the repository thingie (the first choice), right-clicked the download, and clicked install and here I am.

Thanks, everyone, for helping me get here.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Re: [SOLVED] Installing in Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon ???

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2019-01-18, 20:51

I assume you downloaded the deb package and installed it instead of adding the repo. That means you won't see updates in your package manager, but PM should notify you of updates itself, though you might have to wait a bit for me to add those to the OBS repo--I'm only human (as far as you guys know). :D

You could ask the Mint developers to port over PM from my repo sources and add it to their package installer. Maybe they'll be helpful, maybe not, IDK. Sparky Linux already does the same. Perhaps they could even improve my packaging and feed that back to me! I'm only a hobbyist packager, after all. Doing the same for MX Linux, porting from the now defunct PPA (PM is in the MX Package Installer, BTW), is how I got involved here and set up the OBS repo, BTW.

The simplified general instructions to add the repo are in the first post of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11466 since the ones that the OBS generates automatically are a bit confusing for beginners.

I can't edit the first post to change the title, but the current supported distros are Ubuntu 16.04, 18.04, 18.10, Ubuntu_Next (19.04), and Debian 8, 9, and Next (testing, aka Buster). I also manually build debs for Ubuntu 14.04 which will install if you add a PPA for gcc-5.

Edit: whoah, Deepin has an ancient 26.2.2 version in their repo, derived from a version I did way back when. They need to update it, or remove it and point to the OBS repo instead, IMO.