Running 2 Installations of Pale Moon? Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
mtbvfr
Moongazer
Moongazer

Running 2 Installations of Pale Moon?

Unread post by mtbvfr » 2019-01-14, 21:54

Hi Folks,

I have 28.2.2 manually installed on Devuan.

I'm looking for confirmation that the following is feasible.

Can I run 2 Installations of Pale Moon without one impacting the other? My idea is to separate Google & Facebook et al crap from the rest of my browsing?

Can I create a directory under the Home directory and call it, say, palemoonFamga and install Pale Moon again there?

OR, do I simply need to add a 2nd profile?

Would each profile have its own Add-ons?

Which would be more efficient regarding CPU and Memory usage?

Thanks, MTB.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Running 2 Installations of Pale Moon?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-14, 22:05

You simply need to have a separate profile, and start the browser with the --profile CLI switch to select the appropriate profile.

If you want to run them concurrently, then you should also use the --no-remote CLI switch when starting the browser.

There is no difference in resource use -- installing the application again in a separate path isn't needed and will simply use more disk space.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite