¿How can I make PaleMoon always ask for Profile when launching a new instance?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
geppettvs

¿How can I make PaleMoon always ask for Profile when launching a new instance?

Unread post by geppettvs » 2019-01-04, 16:09

Hello. First of all, I apologize if this was previously answered. I didn't find something related, that's why I am posting this.

I am using Ubuntu 18.04 with i3WM at this very moment, and I know I can create a shell script in order to invoke palemoon and make it show the profile manager.

When we use i3WM we hit the WinKey+D in order to show the dmenu at the top of the creen, then I write "palemoon" and it starts a new window from the current profile if it is already running. Or shows the profile manager if it is not.

My question is about, can I make Palemoon behave like this natively? Perhaps a flag or something? Not an addon.

So I can both invoke Palemoon via dmenu or simply hit Ctrl+N in ordeer to open a new window asking for the profile to be used. (Then I hit Return it will be the same profile as current).

Thanks in advance.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: ¿How can I make PaleMoon always ask for Profile when launching a new instance?

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-01-04, 17:35

You could try using an alias.
It seems dmenu requires an additional configuration before being able to use aliases, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: ¿How can I make PaleMoon always ask for Profile when launching a new instance?

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2019-01-06, 17:08

The command you need in your shell script is...

palemoon -no-remote -P
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

geppettvs

Unread post by geppettvs » 2019-01-07, 18:02

Walter Dnes wrote:The command you need in your shell script is...

palemoon -no-remote -P
Sure, I know how to do this. Indeed in i3WM is as easy as write palemoon -p "" and it does the same from the dmenu.

But I don't want a launcher. I'd like to configure palemoon in order to, let's say, if I have this window open, I hit CTRL+N and then palemoon show me the Profile Manager in order to hit return if I wish to continue using the same profile, or choose a new one.

I can setup a keybinding to do this in i3wm, but I don't want a new launcher. I want palemoon to handle this. Is it there a way? A flag or something I can configure in palemoon's config files?

Thank you for your answer.

geppettvs

Unread post by geppettvs » 2019-01-07, 18:03

vannilla wrote:You could try using an alias.
It seems dmenu requires an additional configuration before being able to use aliases, but it shouldn't be too difficult.
As I mentioned to Walter Dnes, this is a launcher. Not the modification to palemoon's behavior.

Thank you

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-01-07, 18:57

geppettvs wrote:I'd like to configure palemoon in order to, let's say, if I have this window open, I hit CTRL+N and then palemoon show me the Profile Manager in order to hit return if I wish to continue using the same profile, or choose a new one.
Out of the box, the only way to make Pale Moon show the Profile Selection dialog is by launching the application with those parameters. There is no native way to configure the New Window command to do this.

There may be a way to do something like this with an extension, but I don't know if one exists yet.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

geppettvs

Unread post by geppettvs » 2019-01-07, 19:27

Isengrim wrote:
geppettvs wrote:I'd like to configure palemoon in order to, let's say, if I have this window open, I hit CTRL+N and then palemoon show me the Profile Manager in order to hit return if I wish to continue using the same profile, or choose a new one.
Out of the box, the only way to make Pale Moon show the Profile Selection dialog is by launching the application with those parameters. There is no native way to configure the New Window command to do this.

There may be a way to do something like this with an extension, but I don't know if one exists yet.
Using an extension will force every single profile to use the same extension in order to keep the behavior, I was thinking on something more, like a change in the code to be compiled after modifying this. Any ideas? Thank you!

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-01-07, 20:03

I believe it's not possible without a significant change in the UXP codebase, even for extensions.
The end result is that you still have to start a new process no matter what, so you should just use a launcher.
The thing is, some preferences change the way Pale Moon (or, in general, UXP) initializes itself, so you can't just open a new window and have a different set of preferences applied to it.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2019-01-07, 20:43

Right click the shortcut of PM icon then click "shortcut". On the "target" submenu type ""C:\Program Files\Pale Moon\palemoon.exe" -p -no-remote
Then click "apply">"ok" and that is, each time when you click PM icon the profile manager will appear.
You should to have PM closed when you perform this settings.
I use this daily because I run PM with multiple profiles simultaneous.
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-01-07, 21:03

Off-topic:
This is Pale Moon for Linux board...

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2019-01-07, 21:18

I see now is PM for Linux board, but I found this, I think is the same: https://askubuntu.com/questions/226335/ ... x-profiles
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

geppettvs

Unread post by geppettvs » 2019-01-09, 00:54

badnick wrote:Right click the shortcut of PM icon then click "shortcut". On the "target" submenu type ""C:\Program Files\Pale Moon\palemoon.exe" -p -no-remote
Then click "apply">"ok" and that is, each time when you click PM icon the profile manager will appear.
You should to have PM closed when you perform this settings.
I use this daily because I run PM with multiple profiles simultaneous.
That creates a launcher. And it is for a Windows based System. Thank you anyway.

geppettvs

Unread post by geppettvs » 2019-01-09, 01:03

badnick wrote:I see now is PM for Linux board, but I found this, I think is the same: https://askubuntu.com/questions/226335/ ... x-profiles
Oh! Thank you. But I know how to create a launcher. I am talking of a different thing.