Default Download Directory

Support and discussions for the x86/x64 Linux version of Pale Moon.

Moderators: trava90, satrow

User avatar
berni
Moongazer
Moongazer
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue, 02 Oct 2018, 10:08

Default Download Directory

Unread postby berni » Wed, 02 Jan 2019, 15:57

I somehow managed to get rid of firefox creating a "Download" directory, whenever I download a file, years ago. Now, with the switch to palemoon, the old behaviour is there again. What I'd like to have is, that the default directory for downloads should be my home directory (/home/berni/) instead of (/home/berni/Downloads/) and palemoon never ever creating any directories other than dot-files, when not explicitly asked to do so. Any ideas, how to do that?

By the way, when I select a file (i.e. for upload), my browser is pointing at a completely strange position (/home/some-other-user/). How can I get rid of that too?

Lucio Chiappetti
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon, 01 Sep 2014, 15:11
Location: Milan Italy

Re: Default Download Directory

Unread postby Lucio Chiappetti » Wed, 02 Jan 2019, 17:32

In Preferences->General at the bottom there shall be a tickable "Always ask me where to save files'.
This way you choose the directory each time
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

User avatar
berni
Moongazer
Moongazer
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue, 02 Oct 2018, 10:08

Re: Default Download Directory

Unread postby berni » Wed, 02 Jan 2019, 18:30

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:In Preferences->General at the bottom there shall be a tickable "Always ask me where to save files'.
This way you choose the directory each time


That tick is allready set and doesn't work. :( The directory "Downloads" is allready created, when I get that choice and additionally the default in that choice points to the wrong place.

PS: Found the solution! :D - your idea pointed to the right place. I had to tick "Save files to ...", then change the place there, and than go back to "Always ask ...". A little bit strange, that a greyed out value has still some meaning, but at least it works.

User avatar
berni
Moongazer
Moongazer
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue, 02 Oct 2018, 10:08

Re: Default Download Directory

Unread postby berni » Fri, 04 Jan 2019, 11:17

berni wrote:By the way, when I select a file (i.e. for upload), my browser is pointing at a completely strange position (/home/some-other-user/). How can I get rid of that too?


Meanwhile I found out, that there is a file called .config/user-dirs.dirs which contained a strange entry pointing to that other-users-home. I deleted this file and now the upload dialogue starts with "~/Desktop" and creates that directory (without my mercy). Does anyone know a preferences where I can specify this directory?

vannilla
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat, 05 May 2018, 13:29

Re: Default Download Directory

Unread postby vannilla » Fri, 04 Jan 2019, 17:41

berni wrote:
berni wrote:By the way, when I select a file (i.e. for upload), my browser is pointing at a completely strange position (/home/some-other-user/). How can I get rid of that too?


Meanwhile I found out, that there is a file called .config/user-dirs.dirs which contained a strange entry pointing to that other-users-home. I deleted this file and now the upload dialogue starts with "~/Desktop" and creates that directory (without my mercy). Does anyone know a preferences where I can specify this directory?

Reinstate the entry you deleted and change it to the desired location.


Return to “Pale Moon for Linux”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests