Javascript-heavy sites freeze Pale Moon Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Javascript-heavy sites freeze Pale Moon

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-12-20, 10:46

Good Day Community,

I like to browse with multiple tabs open and let tabs load in the background while I'm busy with surfing. However, some websites that are extremely Javascript heavy tends to freeze Pale Moon to such a degree that I can't use it (interface is "un-clickable"), I have to wait for the crap site to finish loading before I can continue.

Sites examples are:
https://www.travelocity.com
https://www.cheapflights.co.za
https://www.skyscanner.net
https://www.fly.com/
https://www.cheaptickets.com
https://www.expedia.com

Is there a way to minimise the priority of JS or a way to process it more efficiently?

Kind Regards,
Ferdi
Last edited by fatboy on 2018-12-20, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Javascript-heavy sites freeze Pale Moon

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-12-20, 13:03

fatboy wrote:Is there a way to minimise the priority of JS
No. What you are seeing is the fact that the browser has to compile literally megabytes of JS to a state where it can run at near-native speeds. This simply takes a lot of computing power. Disabling this compilation will make such sites load in a non-blocking way, BUT the end result will be that the site itself becomes really slow in operation when you actually want to use it (because everything has to be interpreted on-the-fly in that case). It's one or the other. If you load the browser with heavy tasks in the background then you can expect it to take a few seconds to complete what it's doing before "having time for you" again.
fatboy wrote:a way to process it more efficiently?
Also a no. Unfortunately people have been loading more and more on the JS specification to try and make it do literally everything. the JS library part of Pale Moon is many megabytes large, just for script processing; it comprises millions of lines of code, and is often tasked to compile just as many functions on heavy pages.

Bottom line is you are feeling the overboard-heavy JS of many websites, and your browsing habits will have to adjust. If these sites are staple sites you always visit, then you could always dedicate a portable instance of Pale Moon to them, letting it load the sites on startup, while you use a different instance to surf the web in the meantime. Just an idea.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-12-20, 13:31

Hi Moonchild,

Thank you for the great replies.

Luckily these sites are ones I do not visit frequently, was just a thing I noticed and thought I'd ask about it. I did notice that when I am on these sites that the CPU usage spikes quite a bit due to the amount of code PM has to process/digest.
It's pretty rediculous that websites have SO MUCH JS. I mean, it just boggles my mind. I usually surf the web with JS disabled :)
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-12-20, 17:29

fatboy wrote: It's pretty rediculous that websites have SO MUCH JS. I mean, it just boggles my mind.
Off-topic:
Welcome to the third millennium :cry:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-12-20, 17:39

fatboy wrote:It's pretty rediculous that websites have SO MUCH JS. I mean, it just boggles my mind.
Absolutely.

But there's a reason for that. It's called web design frameworks. These frameworks provide an abstract way of designing dynamic web pages, but the downside of that is that these frameworks tend to supply all the bells and whistles that are possible within it for every single site; even a simple 1-paragraph notice in such a framework can load megabytes of js, 99.9% of which is unnecessary but is still fed to the browser and must be parsed and digested.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2018-12-20, 17:41

I have no problem with no one of these links.
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

jars_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by jars_ » 2018-12-20, 17:42

113 js on travelocity.com & 116 js on expedia.com :wtf: antirecord :think:

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-12-20, 18:34

fatboy, I have the same problem. I haven't tried your links, but I'm sure they would be slow for me too. It really makes shopping difficult as the most popular shopping sites are among the most bloated websites. But as you've noticed, it's not just shopping sites. My PC is often frozen for a minute or so, and I can't even close the close tab button since it's frozen.

What I'm wondering is, I've noticed a lot of times the page is still loading content, as it's still scrolling through items in the taskbar (and slow), but the Stop Loading This Page red X has already changed into the Reload icon, so I can't stop the page from loading. So I'm wondering if there's a way to change this. Is there a setting for that button that can be increased so it doesn't disable prematurely? Or is there an addon that will stop page loading? I've noticed that when I am able to stop page loading, most of the time it's completely usable for whatever I need to do, as I assume the major content loads first and the last stuff is extra unneeded junk.
And I do use uBO.

No offense but replies that say they don't have the problem aren't helpful, as they most likely have more horsepower, and just because some don't have problems doesn't mean others aren't. That's a common issue with all internet forums.
badnick wrote:I have no problem with no one of these links.
I think that means you have a problem with all of them. :)

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2018-12-20, 19:12

Brian wrote: I think that means you have a problem with all of them. :)
I have not! Look here :
https://streamable.com/xggt9
PM last/64

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-12-20, 20:47

Brian wrote:What I'm wondering is, I've noticed a lot of times the page is still loading content, as it's still scrolling through items in the taskbar (and slow), but the Stop Loading This Page red X has already changed into the Reload icon, so I can't stop the page from loading. So I'm wondering if there's a way to change this. Is there a setting for that button that can be increased so it doesn't disable prematurely? Or is there an addon that will stop page loading? I've noticed that when I am able to stop page loading, most of the time it's completely usable for whatever I need to do, as I assume the major content loads first and the last stuff is extra unneeded junk.
And I do use uBO.
If the page is still loading even though the stop button has changed into the reload button, it's likely because of scripts.
They can download stuff in the background or add elements to the page while you scroll.
There's not much you can do except disabling the scripts, but it's not that easy.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-12-20, 20:49

Brian wrote:My PC is often frozen for a minute or so, and I can't even close the close tab button since it's frozen.
That really shouldn't happen, unless you run completely out of memory and your system will start swapping data out to disk (which can cause very long delays of an unresponsive computer). What we are talking about in this thread is a different problem: unresponsiveness for shorter amounts of time when browsing while heavy pages load in the background. If you want to try and troubleshoot minute-long pauses while using the browser, you should create a new thread and post basic information about your system and troubleshooting information from the browser.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2018-12-20, 21:13

That's a page that freezes indeed Palemoon:
https://globalfishingwatch.org/map/?fbc ... DTphzwJjxM
PM last/64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-12-20, 21:53

No, it doesn't. There's a 2 second pause when loading, and it's fine otherwise.
Of course its performance is abysmal because you're looking at a TON of data with that particular view, but that's not Pale Moon specific.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-12-20, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2018-12-21, 08:21

Yea, I expressed myself wrong, is not freezibg just very sluggish.
PM last/64

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2019-01-13, 19:03

vannilla wrote:
Brian wrote:What I'm wondering is, I've noticed a lot of times the page is still loading content, as it's still scrolling through items in the taskbar (and slow), but the Stop Loading This Page red X has already changed into the Reload icon, so I can't stop the page from loading. So I'm wondering if there's a way to change this. Is there a setting for that button that can be increased so it doesn't disable prematurely? Or is there an addon that will stop page loading? I've noticed that when I am able to stop page loading, most of the time it's completely usable for whatever I need to do, as I assume the major content loads first and the last stuff is extra unneeded junk.
And I do use uBO.
If the page is still loading even though the stop button has changed into the reload button, it's likely because of scripts.
They can download stuff in the background or add elements to the page while you scroll.
There's not much you can do except disabling the scripts, but it's not that easy.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... superstop/
This would allow stopping them, but it's Webextensions.

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2019-01-13, 19:06

Moonchild wrote:
Brian wrote:My PC is often frozen for a minute or so, and I can't even close the close tab button since it's frozen.
That really shouldn't happen, unless you run completely out of memory and your system will start swapping data out to disk (which can cause very long delays of an unresponsive computer). What we are talking about in this thread is a different problem: unresponsiveness for shorter amounts of time when browsing while heavy pages load in the background.
I'm talking about that as well.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-01-13, 19:39

You do not need an extension for that.

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2019-01-13, 19:46

yami_ wrote:You do not need an extension for that.
You do for what I'm describing.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-01-13, 20:31

I am pretty sure you do not:
Pale Moon 26.1.0 release notes wrote:Added a "superstop" key combination (Shift+Esc) that will stop all (foreground and background) network activity, stop animated gifs, etc. even after the page itself has fully loaded (and the stop button not being available) - some web applications may not like this if you use it since it will also cancel XHR requests, etc.