Credentials popup?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Credentials popup?

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-12-13, 11:04

Good Day Community,

I got this popup when I opened up customize.org (see attached photo).
palemoon_popup.png
I am unsure if this popup is an exploit of some sort?
Last edited by fatboy on 2018-12-13, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Credentials popup?

Unread post by athenian200 » 2018-12-13, 11:34

It seems like the website "customize.org" genuinely requires authentication to view the files on it. If you cancel the dialog box, it properly sends you to a web page complaining that you're unauthorized to view the content. This is how this type of authentication is supposed to be implemented. Notice that it says "restricted files," presumably because they don't want just anyone to be able to get a directory listing.

If I had to guess, I would say that customize.org has been taken offline and that the administrators of whatever server the domain points to now have locked up whatever remains of the site so that only they can access the files or bring the server back online. There's probably no front-facing HTML, and if you could see what's there, you would likely just see a bare directory listing of whatever is on the server rather than a website.

Still, as a precaution, I wouldn't enter whatever username and password you previously used for the site, or any legitimate username and password that someone could login to your accounts with for that matter. You don't necessarily know who is running that server or what they do with the usernames and passwords once submitted.
Last edited by athenian200 on 2018-12-13, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind