Problem with private browsing?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
yellowfinch

Problem with private browsing?

Unread post by yellowfinch » 2018-11-28, 17:33

Even from just launching Pale Moon and doing nothing in it, lots of error messages were being generated in my syslog file. They weren't clear enough for me to figure out what was going on except that I noticed the word "private" occurring frequently, including "privateTab". That clue lead me to deactivate the Private Tab add-on. This eliminated most of the errors, but I still get this (where the last two digits vary):

Code: Select all

WARNING: content window passed to PrivateBrowsingUtils.isWindowPrivate. Use isContentWindowPrivate instead (but only for frame scripts).
pbu_isWindowPrivate@resource://gre/modules/PrivateBrowsingUtils.jsm:25:14
@about:privatebrowsing:40:12
So...

Could it be that there is a bug – or simply a contraindication – in Pale Moon's private browsing that would explain why the Private Tab add-on is having trouble even though it does work as expected?

I'm using PM 28.0.1 64bit on Linux.

Background (for those who don't know "Private Tab"): It allows one to have both private and regular tabs in the same browser window. You can have a shortcut key to open such a private tab (just like Ctrl+T opens a regular tab, I had Alt+P to open a private one) and it also allows you to put the string "private:" in front of a URL in a bookmark, for those sites you want to make sure you'll always open in a private tab.

I had been using it for a decade in an old version of FF on Windows and it worked great, so I would miss it immensely.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/private-tab/versions/

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Problem with private browsing?

Unread post by therube » 2018-11-30, 01:36

Do you get that message when start with a new, clean Profile?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-30, 05:15

Ignore it. It's fine. Unless you are seeing private browsing data persisting.. Warnings are not errors.

yellowfinch

Unread post by yellowfinch » 2018-11-30, 12:42

therube wrote:Do you get that message when start with a new, clean Profile?
Good question. I don't know when I'll be able to try that. I could do it today if I was able to also install PM 28 on another machine, which I have been trying to do for over a week, as described in my other post: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=20917

On that other machine, with PM 27 and the same version of the Private Tab add-on, I don't get any warnings or errors in syslog (relating to PM).

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-11-30, 13:35

You don't need a separate installation. Simply open the profile manager and create one from there.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... x-profiles
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-30, 14:06

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Ignore it. It's fine. Unless you are seeing private browsing data persisting.. Warnings are not errors.

yellowfinch

Unread post by yellowfinch » 2018-11-30, 15:31

Isengrim wrote:You don't need a separate installation. Simply open the profile manager and create one from there.
I know. I do it often on the other machine. But I have too many tabs open (i.e. active sessions) on my main one so I rarely shut it down. Also, the session manager doesn't work, whereas it does in PM 27.