Debian(s) installation w/errors, erratic mouse behavior, +

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
LuizHall

Debian(s) installation w/errors, erratic mouse behavior, +

Unread post by LuizHall » 2018-11-22, 15:03

Hello.

On several attempts in having a smooth Palemoon running I was/am confronted with some grave issues on the browser. I've decided to give up after this last installation, but in conscience I would like to let you know what I've experienced.

$ uname -rmov
4.18.0-2-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 4.18.10-2 (2018-11-02) i686 GNU/Linux
$ lsb_release -cr
Release: testing
Codename: buster
$ palemoon -v
Moonchild Productions Pale Moon 28.2.1

(Installation on Debian Scretch behaves exactly the same as well as on Lubuntu 18.04 LTS - I didn't install it on my Linux Mint machine but I believe it's going the same way)

1 -- Installation with 'gdebi' of palemoon_28.2.1~repack-1_i386.deb:
E: palemoon: embedded-library usr/lib/palemoon/libnspr4.so: nspr
E: palemoon: embedded-library usr/lib/palemoon/libnss3.so: nss
E: palemoon: embedded-library usr/lib/palemoon/libxul.so: libpng
W: palemoon: copyright-without-copyright-notice
W: palemoon: bugs-field-does-not-refer-to-debian-infrastructure mailto: <maintainer@mepiscommunity.org> (line 1)
W: palemoon: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/palemoon
N: 1 tag overridden (1 error); 1 unused override

First run, when ideling, menu-"Restart" (after loading the "start me" page - at times too slow, by experience - so users might want to eliminate that page on start).
2nd run, "browser as is" since installation; no add-ons/extensions, no configurations at all, no restorations from others/previous installations - attempting now to customize it to my habits:

2 -- Starting the browser - "Start me" page. (img attached)
Debugging its loading (--jsconsole) throws all sorts of errors, no wonder it takes "forever" to have it idling.

3 -- Mouse issues on select text or click.
3.1 - Left click on any dialog - preferences do not work.
menu-Tools | Preferences (or standalone '$ palemoon --preferences'): Left mouse click without expecting results, i.e. users can't configure the browser to their wish without going into more advanced and risky configurations (about:config).

3.2 - Managing Search Engines almost unreachable.
Search bar | Manage Search Engine List - clicking on any entry doesn't highlight, "Move Up" or "Move Down" not functioning. Bottom buttons work. To add new search engine, after going to https://addons.palemoon.org/search-plugins/#google and clicking on the check box does not show the expected check mark. However, the entry will be placed.

On all above situations the mouse events will register, however without visual notification. The user could guess the intended result would be accomplished, on the basis of point|click&pray.

3.3 - Right Clicking on web page text treats it as a link. (img attached)
Often, highlighting any text (word or phrase - not a link) on a web page and right mouse clicking does not open the menu with Copy, Select All, Search Google for "...", View Selection Source, Inspect Element (Q)...). Instead, it opens the menu as if the selected text is a link, i.e., "... Open Link in New Tab,, ...in New Window, ... in New Private Window, ... in Current Tab, Bookmark this Link ..."

Changing to "true" value the about:config 'browser.preferences.animateFadeIn' entry occasionally, erratically, resolves left mouse click behaving in some but not all dialogs, tabs, check marks, highlighting, etc.

These mouse events misbehaving happen only on the engine itself, meaning, they are not any site/web page related.
As said before, most of these issues do not happen all the time, which makes one ask if the browser is reliable since it not perform well on basic usage.

I wish to have more detailed trialing and debugging, but my time is pretty limited.

Any hope of improvements?
Palemoon is still installed on this debian buster-DI-alpha3 machine so if you would like to have me testing anything in particular please feel free to pointing it out.

Regards
Luiz
Attachments
Screenshot from 2018-11-22 01-12-33.png
PalemoonOnLoadingStartMePage.png
Last edited by LuizHall on 2018-11-22, 18:16, edited 2 times in total.

Bind17

Re: Debian(s) installation w/errors, erratic mouse behavior, +

Unread post by Bind17 » 2018-11-24, 14:20

Hi,
I'm using Pale Moon on Debian buster and Debian stretch without any errors, same with Linux Mint 17, 18 and 19.
Always making manual installation. Maybe you consider to try this method.

Download 64x

Code: Select all

http://linux.palemoon.org/datastore/release/palemoon-28.2.1.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2
(or 32x http://linux.palemoon.org/datastore/rel ... 86.tar.bz2)

sudo mkdir /opt

sudo tar -xvf palemoon-28.2.1.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2 -C /opt
Just replace palemoon-28.2.1.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2 file name if a newer version is available

Create a symbolic link /usr/bin/palemoon that points to /opt/palemoon/palemoon:

sudo ln -s /opt/palemoon/palemoon /usr/bin/palemoon-64
Creating a shortcut in Linux Mint Cinnamon. Something like that while editing XFCE menu in other distributions:
Right-click on the Desktop and choose "Create a new launcher here..."
In the Launcher Properties window browse from the "Command" field to

/usr/bin/palemoon-64
In the name field enter "Pale Moon"
Click on the generic icon on the left and browse to

/opt/palemoon/browser/icons/mozicon128.png
and choose this *.png icon, then click OK.
Press OK to "Would you like to add this launcher to the menu also?"
start Pale Moon with new profile from terminal with "

palemoon-64 -p test
" and create a new profile, for eg. "Test"
Add add-ons one-by-one to that profile after initial test.
Last edited by Bind17 on 2018-11-24, 21:20, edited 2 times in total.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-11-24, 19:18

I get the feeling that the same problems will occur with the binary direct from PM as from my repo, but will be interested in the result of the test.

The lintian complaints from Gdebi:

E: palemoon: embedded-library usr/lib/palemoon/libnspr4.so: nspr
E: palemoon: embedded-library usr/lib/palemoon/libnss3.so: nss
E: palemoon: embedded-library usr/lib/palemoon/libxul.so: libpng
W: palemoon: copyright-without-copyright-notice
W: palemoon: bugs-field-does-not-refer-to-debian-infrastructure mailto: <maintainer@mepiscommunity.org> (line 1)
W: palemoon: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/palemoon
Are basically nitpicks about deviations from strict Debian policy. I can't not use embedded libraries and still call the package "palemoon", for example. I admit that it could use a manpage and that the copyright file needs a lot of work..I don't think that PM ships a manpage, so would have to write one.

LuizHall

Unread post by LuizHall » 2018-11-26, 21:26

Thank you very much for your input, Bind17 and stevepusser.

I did try the installation of the sources as you describe as I did via dpkg and lastly with gdebi.
But I did it again the way you suggest, this time with a couple of extreme measures:

$ wget --spider http://linux.palemoon.org/datastore/release/palemoon-28.2.1.linux-i686.tar.bz2 #test if OK
$ sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/home:stevenpusser.list
# purging all traces
$ sudo apt purge palemoon firefox-esr -y
# applied '-delete' to remove all debris in system after ' sudo find / \( -name "*moonchild*" -o -name "*palemoon*" -o -name "*mozilla*" -o -name "*firefox*" \) '
# dir opt present
$ wget -P $HOME/Downloads/ http://linux.palemoon.org/datastore/release/palemoon-28.2.1.linux-i686.tar.bz2 ; sudo tar -xvf $HOME/Downloads/palemoon-28.2.1.linux-i686.tar.bz2 -C /opt ; sudo ln -s /opt/palemoon/palemoon /usr/bin/palemoon ; palemoon --jsconsole # pure launching, no add-ons, no browser imports or copy/pasts
As soon as I got the browser running I saw right away it would behave the same as on the previous installations when the checkbox from the query for default browser didn't change on click; everything I've mentioned in previous post still happens.
Notice on point 3.3 (with pic) of my previous post, I forgot to mention the incorrect options menu not only is the ... incorrect one, but also it's not blowing to its full extent, where items below "Bookmark This Link" are not visible.

Since tehre are no more users with these issues 4 days after the post, it looks like I'm the only one so "I'll rest my case" realizing it might be any failure on this side. Probably because I did minimal distros installations... I don't know. As soon as I get some time I'll test on other machines or even once again on this one, but taking a deeper debugging look and if I encounter the cause of it I'll let you know. I should say though there are no mouse or keyboard issues at all on this system, with their modules, nor with xorg* in general, the machine resources are pretty healthy while running Palemoon and, on the other hand, I can't see any problems while running Firefox, besides being "heavy" before all work tweaking it (the main motive of Palemoon existence, isn't? :) ).
Being a Mozilla user since its beginnings I pretty much embrace Palemoon's project philosophy as a lower resource eating browser and I applaud and encourage you to keep going.

A final note and aside from the issues... are integrated devtools really necessary being active? How many users take advantage of it (I should say "play" w it)? 0,05%? :) :D
After receiving a bunch of these "Request stacks" passing trough devtools on my console (without any devtolls items being manually activated) ' $ palemoon -g -osint -headless ': \n " Request stack: request@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/shared/protocol.js:1225:14 *much more extensive*" came to my mind disabling it. I did it - went to about:conf and nulled & disabled all entries. About at least 250 of it .. just for devtools...
You know what?! Didn't solve the issues yet, but the browser it's much more responsive!
Last edited by LuizHall on 2018-11-26, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.

useronbluemoon

Unread post by useronbluemoon » 2018-11-27, 23:09

As soon as I got the browser running I saw right away it would behave the same as on the previous installations when the checkbox from the query for default browser didn't change on click;

I am getting it too..Additionally, when I try to create a profile (./palemoon -p) and try to create a new profile, the "cancel or next" button is unclicakble...
This issue only showed up after the PM 28.2 release...BTW, this occurs on a laptop running Debian Sid with Cinnamon desktop and Ubu 16.04.5.XFCE .both are 64-bit..Using the repo at deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... ntu_16.04/ /

Additionally, today (11-27-18) on a desktop (32-bit Ubu 16.04.05 XFCE) running PM which just got upgraded via ubu apt repo to 28.2.1, I was unable to drag and drop a website link to the bookmark toolbar or into the bookmark-sidebar...closed and re-opened PM three times and then it worked successfully.

If folks at PM or PM surfers have suggestions/soultions, please advise. I'll be checking forum periodically.

P.S> I also run PM on another 64-bit desktop and another laptop running Debian Sid 64-bit with PM w/o NO issues.

Many Thanks!