Credentials disappearing - intended feature?

Support and discussions for the x86/x64 Linux version of Pale Moon.

Moderators: trava90, satrow

Lew Rockwell Fan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Credentials disappearing - intended feature?

Unread postby Lew Rockwell Fan » Tue, 23 Oct 2018, 23:34

At fairly long intervals (I haven't kept records) my username/login credentials quit showing up as a dropdown when I click inside the appropriate fields. Then I have to consult my records and fill them in by hand. The first few times I just shrugged it off and it doesn't happen often so I don't recall the details of the previous times, but this time, it didn't just zap the credentials for one website, but all I've checked.

Is this a deliberate design feature and, if so, can I turn it off or lengthen the interval to a century? Or have I broken something?

PM runs away RAM fairly often. I use the memory restart extension which usually manages to catch it, but not always. When it doesn't sometimes I can xkill it, but occasionally I have to press the shutdown button. This happened recently, with conky showing my RAM at 97 before it quit updating as the system froze. I was able to get it to respond to the shutdown button without having to actually kill power. Could that have caused this?

bgstack15
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: Credentials disappearing - intended feature?

Unread postby bgstack15 » Fri, 26 Oct 2018, 14:47

Have you checked to make sure you're still using the profile you intend to? The "about:support" meta-page will show you what profile directory you're using. Perhaps the profile is just a different directory for whatever reason. Additionally, inside the profile directory, perhaps one of the various files is broken? I don't know which one stores the saved credentials. Probably one of the sqlite files.

And of course, have you confirmed the "Remember passwords for sites" option is checked in Tools menu --> Preferences --> Security tab?

Lucio Chiappetti
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread postby Lucio Chiappetti » Fri, 26 Oct 2018, 15:20

or "automatically fill login details" (ibidem)
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread postby Walter Dnes » Fri, 26 Oct 2018, 19:38

I noticed this change in Pale Moon too. But... once I type in the first character of my userID in the logon screen, it works as before.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Lew Rockwell Fan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread postby Lew Rockwell Fan » Tue, 30 Oct 2018, 06:11

Thanks, gentlesapients.
bgstack15 wrote:Have you checked to make sure you're still using the profile you intend to?
I always start with an explicit profile option, so yes.
Walter Dnes wrote:I noticed this change in Pale Moon too. But... once I type in the first character of my userID in the logon screen, it works as before.
That's the normal behavior. That changed a while ago for security reasons. That's what I EXPECT to happen, and what DOES happen for weeks. And then suddenly palemoon forgets all my credentials.

So, sounds like it's not a feature or a setting. Guess I'll blame it on cosmic rays. Or Russians. Yeah, that's it, Russians did it. OK, I can live with it. Thanks.

Lew Rockwell Fan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread postby Lew Rockwell Fan » Tue, 13 Nov 2018, 17:00

Still getting this behavior. Just happened again. All credentials disappeared together. It's really beginning to bug me.

privacy.clearOnShutdown.passwords is false.

I'm not using a master password, so, if I understand correctly
security.password_lifetime 30
is irrelevant, right?

Any suggestions on how to track this down? Is there a log I should check & something I should grep for? How about backing up the files where credentials are stored every time I enter a new one? Which file would that be?
Last edited by Lew Rockwell Fan on Tue, 13 Nov 2018, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Pale Moon for Linux”