Can't clear cache using Lubuntu 16.04 LTS

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
wally

Can't clear cache using Lubuntu 16.04 LTS

Unread post by wally » 2018-10-17, 22:57

Hello, I can't completely clear out cache on Pale Moon. I've tried checking off clear cache under privacy in preferences and manually under advanced. What am I doing wrong? Is there a linux script that would work?
Thanks, Wally

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Can't clear cache using Lubuntu 16.04 LTS

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-10-18, 00:26

Pale Moon automatically creates a cache when you start it. See about:cache for details. Maybe you've cleared your cache, and you see the new cache directory when you restart. The only time there can be no cached directory is when Pale Moon is not running. So you have to shut down all instances of Pale Moon (e.g. "killall palemoon") before manually purging. If you're paranoid, try something like...

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
killall palemoon
cd $HOME/.cache
rm -rf "moonchild productions"
This will remove cached data for all profiles. Note the quotes around "moonchild productions". Spaces in directory/file names are a Windows-ism inherited from back when Pale Moon was Windows-only.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

wally

Unread post by wally » 2018-10-18, 19:29

Walter, thanks for the help, but the script didn't work. Look I can clear out the cache sometimes by continuously hitting the clear cache button over numerous pale moon sessions. This seems like a simple matter but it's driving me over the edge. I clear everything out after a on-line banking transaction. I can't use Pale Moon without this feature. Thanks wally

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-10-18, 20:28

How are you determining that your cache is not cleared?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-18, 20:57

wally wrote:Walter, thanks for the help, but the script didn't work. Look I can clear out the cache sometimes by continuously hitting the clear cache button over numerous pale moon sessions. This seems like a simple matter but it's driving me over the edge. I clear everything out after a on-line banking transaction. I can't use Pale Moon without this feature. Thanks wally
Sounds like what you are looking for is using a Private Window to use your banking. In a Private Browsing Window, anything from websites is cached only in memory and cleared the moment you close the window.

As an important note:
Hitting the "clear cache" button once will, by the way, completely purge your web cache. It may not be instantaneous but everything -will- be purged. Of course if you have tabs open on websites, they may immediately put new data in the cache from background processes or dynamic page updates, and having a number of bytes used even after you hit "clear" doesn't mean that something wasn't cleared; it just means that at that point in time something (new) has been cached since you issued the order to clear the cache and/or the clearing is still on-going.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite