blocking social media widgets

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ce01smoot

blocking social media widgets

Unread post by ce01smoot » 2018-10-13, 22:41

How can I block those annoying facebook, twitter etc widgets that frequently move around web pages and cover the text I'm trying to read?

tooshorttoolong
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: blocking social media widgets

Unread post by tooshorttoolong » 2018-10-14, 06:46

I’ve never seen a twitter button move around a web page, but you can try uMatrix (you need to get v1.1.4 of the firefox xpi from the author’s github page; search this forum for more info).

After installing uMatrix, some web pages will not work correctly until you configure uMatrix for the site to allow access to select third-party sites. If that bothers you then maybe someone has another solution :).

It would help if you gave an exemple of a page that has this problem though.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-10-14, 08:37

There are plenty of 'Social Media' and 'Annoyances' filters to choose from @ filterlists.com.
But of course, those filters will never catch all of the crap, so you'll have to add some rules of your own too.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-10-14, 12:28

tooshorttoolong wrote:(you need to get v1.1.4 of the firefox xpi from the author’s github page; search this forum for more info)
1.2.0 works too: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20656

Terryphi

Unread post by Terryphi » 2018-10-15, 13:39

Tomaso wrote:There are plenty of 'Social Media' and 'Annoyances' filters to choose from @ filterlists.com.
But of course, those filters will never catch all of the crap, so you'll have to add some rules of your own too.
I find this filter particularly helpful: Fanboy's Social Blocking List (available from the Easylist site https://easylist.to/ ).

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-10-15, 16:13

Terryphi wrote:I find this filter particularly helpful: Fanboy's Social Blocking List.
Yes, that one comes included with uBO.
You'll have to active it though, as it's unchecked by default.
I'm using that one + several others, but I still have to make rules of my own.