disqus keyboard textbox unresponsive

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
cosmo666

disqus keyboard textbox unresponsive

Unread post by cosmo666 » 2018-10-09, 02:29

xUbuntu 16.04.4 PM 28.1.0...

While in a disqus forum, entering text into what I assume to be a browser textbox, after leaving the open text box, going to another open tab, upon returning to the disqus page, and attempting to resume entering text into the textbox, the text box does not detect the cursor. In other words, I can't return to where I left off typing in that browser session. Since the textbox is in a scrollable object within the surrounding thread object (iframe? div? -- I can't tell) if I first select the scroll bar nearest the textbox, and then I attempt to re-connect with the textbox, it appears to work most of the time (might be all the time, but I'm not certain).

Since there is usually so much additional ad-related background activity going on in the typical news-media-related websites, its possible that may be contributing to this problem. On the other hand, I have never seen this happen while using Waterfox 55.0.2.1. I have to qualify that comparison by noting that I haven't been using Waterfox very much, due to other more major problems I've encountered with it, which led to my decision to make Pale Moon my designated primary browser (about a month ago).

I'm not at all certain this is a Pale Moon problem. But given the array of mouse-related events involved, particularly those which have to do with ingress and egress from display objects on pages with multiple objects overlaying each other, I thought it worth mentioning.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: disqus keyboard textbox unresponsive

Unread post by therube » 2018-10-10, 02:48

While in a disqus forum
URL?

cosmo666

Re: disqus keyboard textbox unresponsive

Unread post by cosmo666 » 2018-10-10, 03:33

Here's the url:

http://thefederalist.com/2018/10/08/chi ... qus_thread

You have to have a disqus ID, login and try to post a reply to a comment. I suspect you'd have a hard time re-creating it. However, it does happen fairly consistently. Its been awhile since I wrote any javascript code, but I believe there's an event that gets triggered when the cursor enters the either the DIV in which the text-box exists, or the text-box itself. I can't remember off hand if this is affected if there's an iframe involved, or if Disqus might be using framesets, but it looks like this happens if I move the cursor to an entirely new tab (as you would if you were going to look up some external reference, so you could grab that url, and the paste it into the text box). So, in that instance, what appears to happen is, upon returning from the external tab, as the cursor enters the surrounding iframe (enroute to the text box in yet another sub-iframe) the event which is supposed to recognize the cursor as having entered that sub-iframe gets missed for some reason, because no matter how many times I click on the text in the text box, its ignored. However, if I go back and click on the scroll bar of the iframe containing the text box, then move the cursor into the text box, the text-entry cursor appears, and all is well.

I'm just guessing as to the underlying structures here (DIVs, IFRAMES, whatever), all I know is they do have live scroll bars on 'em.

This is really just a minor nuisance from a user point of view. But it might be an indicator of a glitch in the browser code that could create problems elsewhere if not corrected. Hope this helps.