Still about application handlers (mainly PDF)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Still about application handlers (mainly PDF)

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2018-10-05, 12:12

As reported otherwise, I am testing palemoon 28 on a new machine using a profile inherited from older versions on an old machine.
I never used the profile on the new machine until now that I'm running a sequence of tests.

Now the Preferences->Application tab contains 4 entries for PDF documents: application/binary application/force-download application/pdf and application/save.. I guess that was generated historically as I encountered sites declaring such mime types.

For application/binary the menu in Preferences->Application presents: Always ask; Save file; use default; use other. both on the old and new system.
For application/force-download and application/save the menu in Preferences->Application presents: Always ask; Save file; use default; use acroread; use other. both on the old and new system.
For application/pdf the menu in Preferences->Application presents on the new system: Always ask; Save file; use Okular (default); use other. and I cannot understand where it derived that Okular should be the default. On the old system there was instead use Adobe Reader 9 (default) (note! not acroread but Adobe Reader 9 though that was the same. Where was that information coming from ?

I noticed that for some other types like spreadsheets, doc, ps, png there is also some "default" which got automagically changed from the old to the new system (and not using my own .mailcap),but I use them seldom through a browser.

How can I edit the application handler association (in particular how can I delete unwanted handlers, or delete mime types so that I would be asked next time)? I was always ill at ease with the mechanism PM (inherited from firefox) uses. I guess that this info is not stored in a plain file like .mailcap.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Still about application handlers (mainly PDF)

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-10-05, 16:56

The MIME associations are stored in the mimeTypes.rdf file, which is an XML file.
Okular is chosen probably because in that file there's a directive that makes the browser ask the operative system for a "default program", which happens to be Okular.
Right now, the only way to delete a MIME entry is to directly edit the XML, which is a mess.