How to install self hosted Mozilla Sync for Pale Moon in 3 min on Debian 9

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ijurisic
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by ijurisic » 2018-10-04, 14:02

Pale Moon is great web browser and my my little contribution:

If love to using sync feature, make my life easy :D

no6una9a

Re: How to install self hosted Mozilla Sync for Pale Moon in 3 min on Debian 9

Unread post by no6una9a » 2018-10-05, 09:23

Hello,

I am having trouble using my own sync server since Pale Moon version 28. My sync servers runs on Debian 9 with SQLIte backend, based on the FSyncMS code since about one year. I am using Pale Moon version 27.9.4 now which is the latest version where sync is working fine. If I am using a 28.x Pale Moon version the sync server is complaining about username/password error.

Today I did a fresh sync server install based on the current code version v0.14 at https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/FSyncMS but the error is still the same: Sync is only working for PM Version prior 28.x

Maybe someone can help me with this? Am I missing some system libs because PM version 28.x has changed some encryption code on the sync part? The Pale Moon browser is great software and I would like to continue using it!

Kind regards,
No6una9a

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-05, 11:29

If you are using your sync server on a custom port, then that is a known issue. See: Issue #728 (UXP)
Unfortunately I haven't yet found out exactly where the port number is dropped (and I got too buy with other issues in the meantime) so it's currently unresolved.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

no6una9a

Unread post by no6una9a » 2018-10-05, 12:27

Hey, you made my day! Thank you so much for this info. In deed - it was the reason for my trouble. I changed the port back to standard HTTPS and - IT WORKS - even with 28.x PM versions!

From my point of view Pale Moon is the most troublefree, lightweight, easytouse, ... browser. And now even with syncing my private data on my own server again - perfect!

m ( _ _ ) m

Kind regards,
No6una9a

bgstack15
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by bgstack15 » 2018-10-08, 11:58

Wow, that sounds really cool! I think I dabbled with the [Firefox] Sync feature half a decade ago, but decided I hardly ever needed to sync my various browsers. Well, nowadays, I probably should re-evaluate. Thank you for sharing. Who doesn't like the ability to self-host a service like this?

Tell me, are you the original author of the mozsync project? Or is this related to another project, such as https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Firefox/Sync_Server? You see, I might want to package it up on Fedora/CentOS like you did for Debian.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-10-08, 13:47

The official Pale Moon sync server uses FSyncMS.

ijurisic
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by ijurisic » 2018-10-09, 09:00

bgstack15 wrote:Wow, that sounds really cool! I think I dabbled with the [Firefox] Sync feature half a decade ago, but decided I hardly ever needed to sync my various browsers. Well, nowadays, I probably should re-evaluate. Thank you for sharing. Who doesn't like the ability to self-host a service like this?

Tell me, are you the original author of the mozsync project? Or is this related to another project, such as https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Firefox/Sync_Server? You see, I might want to package it up on Fedora/CentOS like you did for Debian.
No, I just fork https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/FSyncMS and make package for Debian.