How to upgrade to v28 if I have used Pminstaller previously?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Samsemilia

How to upgrade to v28 if I have used Pminstaller previously?

Unread post by Samsemilia » 2018-09-21, 06:19

How can I upgrade to v28 if I have used Pminstaller previously?
I especially want to keep settings, bookmarks etc. To my understanding, the guides I found explain how to install a fresh version, without migrating existing data.

Thanks
Last edited by Samsemilia on 2018-09-21, 06:20, edited 2 times in total.

fillerup

Re: How to upgrade to v28 if I have used Pminstaller previously?

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-21, 07:34

make a copy of your profile folder (/home/.moonchild productions/profiles/yourprofile) (might not be necessary, but i wanna be safe)

use pminstaller to remove pm 27

follow the aforementioned instructions to install PM 28

copy your profile folder(s) back into that directory

spacy01

Unread post by spacy01 » 2018-09-21, 08:15

If you used a pminstaller till now, the Pale Moon folder must be in /opt. So, you can download Pale Moon 28.x.x from official page. Select the right architecture for you, according from your CPU, extract and move the palemoon folder into /opt (replacing the old one). After that, the Pale Moon will update itself automatically. Enjoy!

If you use Arch based distro, you can use the pminstaller to uninstall your old version, and install the last version with your package manager (or you can use pacman and install it from terminal, of course! ;) )

If you use Pale Moon on language, different from English, you may need to update the language pack manually, from github page on @JustOff.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-09-21, 12:28

trava90 wrote:Please note that in order for the internal updater to work, the browser must be located in a user-writable location. If you previously used the pminstaller to install Pale Moon 27.x, then the browser is located in /opt which by default is not writable by a standard user account. In order to allow the internal updater to work with v28 (while leaving Pale Moon in /opt), you can perform the following steps:

1. Extract the Pale Moon 28 tarball (once released) to /opt, overriding the existing version there.
2. Run the following command from the terminal: sudo chown -R "$USER:$USER" "/opt/palemoon"

Alternatively you can also simply extract Pale Moon 28 to any user-writable location you'd like such as your Desktop or home directory, though do note that if you do this you will have to update the Pale Moon launcher in your application menu to point to the new location.

agerhard

Unread post by agerhard » 2018-10-17, 21:21

spacy01 wrote:... After that, the Pale Moon will update itself automatically. ...
Hi all,
as I upgraded to v28 this way, the automatic update runs into an issue as the update process does not have the rights to access the files and quits with a respective error message.

Any hint on how to enable upgrade process to do its stuff? I did apply the above chown-command already?

Thank you.

agerhard
Last edited by agerhard on 2018-10-17, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.

agerhard

Unread post by agerhard » 2018-10-17, 21:29

Bummer - retried it now and it worked.