Pale Moon Browser in Linux Mint v19.0 Repository

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Dustie_Rose
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Pale Moon Browser in Linux Mint v19.0 Repository

Unread post by Dustie_Rose » 2018-09-15, 05:15

Hello Everyone,
I just discovered tonight, that Pale Moon is now available in the software repository Linux Mint v.19.0. I think this is great news for anyone who has difficulty using Firefox, the default browser. Hopefully this will lead to more doing the same, even making it another default alternative choice.
I wanted to ask input on feedback suggestions on this to developers, feel free to read the descriptive on the Pale Moon listing on the image I uploaded to show you all.
In my opinion the descriptive seems inaccurate and needs updated. Any ideas welcome.

It does list the details as: "Pale Moon v.28.0.1~repack-1"

Thank you all for the hardwork, long hours, brilliant creativity, knowledge and experience; put in to this project by every member of the team.
So greatly appreciated by this girl, Y'ALL ROCK!!!
PS see attached image. Dustie_Rose
Attachments
Linux Mint v.19-Pale Moon v.28.0.1 in Repository
Linux Mint v.19-Pale Moon v.28.0.1 in Repository

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Pale Moon Browser in Linux Mint v19.0 Repository

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-09-15, 10:58

I use 64 bit linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce as my default linux distro.

After reading your comment, I went into the Software Manager and using Search, to see if linux Pale Moon is listed in the Software Manager. Under the heading of "Internet", there is no listing for linux Pale Moon.

Then staying with the Internet heading again, I went through every program and utility under Internet and again, linux Pale Moon is not listed.

To continue my journey, I then went to the Synaptic Package Manager and using the Search function inside SPM, typed in.........palemoon.......and there was no result for the linux Pale Moon browser.

After looking at your screenshot and noticing the word "re-pack", I have feeling, the screenshot you are showing of linux Pale Moon in linux Mint 19, is a PPA since it is not in my Software Manager (under Internet) or in the Synaptic Package Manager. And if is not listed in the Software Manager or not listed in the Synaptic Package Manager, I don't think it is "officially" listed in the Mint repository for Mint 19.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-09-15, 11:37

I see it in my software manager, but I am pretty certain that's likely because I have added Steven Pusser's PPA to my list of custom PPAs.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

smoki

Unread post by smoki » 2018-09-15, 11:43

I don't use Mint but i dont's see it while searching here:

http://packages.linuxmint.com/
Dustie_Rose wrote:Hello Everyone,
I just discovered tonight, that Pale Moon is now available in the software repository Linux Mint v.19.0.
Since it seems it isn't in default repos try running:

Code: Select all

apt-cache policy palemoon
that will show you also from which repo package comes.
Last edited by smoki on 2018-09-15, 11:46, edited 3 times in total.

Dustie_Rose
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Dustie_Rose » 2018-09-16, 01:55

Thanks for all your feedback comments. In my Linux Mint v. 19, (Tara). It is now in both the software manager, and in Synaptic. I checked to confirm that much, have not gone further looking. I did check the list here,
http://packages.linuxmint.com/ not there.
I do believe that finally after adding Steven Pusser's PPA to my list, even after it was continually disabled, it was finally added to my personal list as my default since I deleted Firefox completely. As Isengrim stated.
One can only hope this will eventually change for some of them. I didn't connect the dots till today.
Thank you all for pointing out what I missed.
I have been too busy dealing with Windows 10 computers for the last month helping college students. Got to get my mind out of that gutter.
Dustie.