palemoon constantly crashes

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
missmoondog

palemoon constantly crashes

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-09-14, 12:20

at first i thought this was just a 32bit issue so didn't post here but now the 64bit is constantly crashing on my computers also. thought that with the release of v28 this might straighten out but since 28.0..0.1 and 28.0.1, it crashes constantly.

i don't get any error messages or anything until after i force it closed and then the only thing i get is to send a report or not. that box does show the option to check details, but when i click it, it just sets and d oes nothing for so long i get tired of waiting and kill that.

i'm using lubuntu 18.04.1 and as stated, have both 32bit and 64 bit computers. the crashing has gotten so bad palemoon is basically useless. i like using different browsers so had to download chrome, which i don't really like, just so i could have a choice besides firefox.

i have disabled the only extension i use, which is ublock origin 1.16.4.4, and this still happens. i WILL NOT remove that extension either!

any ideas on what to do other than remove palemoon?

thank you
Last edited by missmoondog on 2018-09-14, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: palemoon constantly crashes

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-09-14, 12:34

Try starting Pale Moon from the terminal and post any messages that appear when it crashes. Also, have you tried using a new profile?

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-09-14, 13:26

ok. will try that next time i'm on a linux system. might not be able to do that until tonight or tomorrow morning. wasting time updating some stupid windows boxes right now.

thank you

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-09-15, 13:54

the only thing i get is to send a report or not
Is this a Pale Moon crash report it wants to send?
Didn't know PM did that?

Or is this something on the Linux end?

Have you tested in a new, clean Profile with only uBlock added?
Last edited by therube on 2018-09-15, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-09-17, 13:22

therube wrote:
the only thing i get is to send a report or not
Is this a Pale Moon crash report it wants to send?
Didn't know PM did that?

Or is this something on the Linux end?

Have you tested in a new, clean Profile with only uBlock added?
yes, the crash report PM wants to send. takes forever for that to show up, but it does.

no, haven't tested in a new profile.

the crashes happen most often on the couple 32bit machines i have but haven't had a chance to get on one of those in the last couple days.

just to play it safe, how do i create a new profile without messing things up?

thanks

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-09-17, 18:12

There is a known issue if you're using your distro's version of oxygen-gtk. There is a list of Mozilla browsers in the package that it performs a workaround for to prevent the crashes, but Pale Moon is missing from that list. I have a patched version for Debian and Ubuntu in my Pale Moon OBS (not a PPA!) repository, though.

prosecco

Unread post by prosecco » 2018-09-20, 13:17

missmoondog wrote:at first i thought this was just a 32bit issue so didn't post here but now the 64bit is constantly crashing on my computers also. thought that with the release of v28 this might straighten out but since 28.0..0.1 and 28.0.1, it crashes constantly.
This is curious, as today I started having repetitively crashes with 28.0.1 whereas before there were none.

But I was very attentive and it seems to me my touchpad could be implied in some way. I use a Samsung netbook and I noticed whenever those crashes occur (not only with PM) the cursor seems at that moment to be somewhere on the vertical scrollbar, or close in that area. Does this make sense to someone? It doesn't to me, but there it is.

So I am rather happy with the new 28.1.0 release as I see it is addressing many issues including security issues, and maybe this will be resolved with this new release?

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-09-21, 11:31

sorry it has taken so long to get back, but been busy as heck lately.

been on PM most of this morning and opened it through terminal as suggested above, but no crashes as of yet. i have received the update to version 28.1.0 and saw that list of fixes for this version. quite the list!

was on a 64bit machine a couple days ago that runs linux mint and had it crash. doesn't happen very often on 64bit, so wasn't paying attention to what might have caused it.

@steven:
does this new version have the fix you mentioned in it, or will it soon? yes, i am using my distros version of oxygen-gtk.

will still be keeping an eye on this topic so hope what ever the issue is gets fixed soon.

thanks for the replies.
Last edited by missmoondog on 2018-09-21, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-09-21, 18:43

missmoondog wrote:sorry it has taken so long to get back, but been busy as heck lately.

been on PM most of this morning and opened it through terminal as suggested above, but no crashes as of yet. i have received the update to version 28.1.0 and saw that list of fixes for this version. quite the list!

was on a 64bit machine a couple days ago that runs linux mint and had it crash. doesn't happen very often on 64bit, so wasn't paying attention to what might have caused it.

@steven:
does this new version have the fix you mentioned in it, or will it soon? yes, i am using my distros version of oxygen-gtk.

will still be keeping an eye on this topic so hope what ever the issue is gets fixed soon.

thanks for the replies.
An unpatched version of oxygen-gtk will cause Pale Moon to crash. All versions of PM. As far as I know, only MX Linux and antiX Linux have the patched oxygen-gtk versions that I've also built in my OBS repo. https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... nes-oxygen
but maybe other distros that include PM in their repos, such as Manjaro and Sparky, have also patched it.

Mint 19 uses Ubuntu 18.04 packages, Mint 18 uses 16.04. Mint LMDE 3 uses Debian 9 (Stretch).

If you want to install the package directly with adding the repo, you could hit the "download package" link and choose the option to grab the packages directly. I don't know what setup Mint has to install local .deb files, but MX Linux uses gdebi, or you could use apt on the command line to do so. Those should also work on Mint.
Last edited by stevenpusser on 2018-09-21, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-09-22, 14:54

stevepusser wrote:
missmoondog wrote:sorry it has taken so long to get back, but been busy as heck lately.

@steven:

thanks for the replies.
An unpatched version of oxygen-gtk will cause Pale Moon to crash. All versions of PM. As far as I know, only MX Linux and antiX Linux have the patched oxygen-gtk versions that I've also built in my OBS repo. https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... nes-oxygen
but maybe other distros that include PM in their repos, such as Manjaro and Sparky, have also patched it.

Mint 19 uses Ubuntu 18.04 packages, Mint 18 uses 16.04. Mint LMDE 3 uses Debian 9 (Stretch).

If you want to install the package directly with adding the repo, you could hit the "download package" link and choose the option to grab the packages directly. I don't know what setup Mint has to install local .deb files, but MX Linux uses gdebi, or you could use apt on the command line to do so. Those should also work on Mint.
fwiw, i normally use lubuntu 18.04.01. have that on 5 machines here. i have mint on only 1 machine and for the most part, that machine runs PM quite well. that 1 crash was the first time PM has done that, so not to worried about that machine yet.

currently on a 32bit lubuntu with PM 28.1.0 running and haven't been able to make it crash now!

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-09-22, 15:03

i just had PM crash while reading yahoo news articles, which is where it seems to happen most often. i had opened PM through terminal as suggested, and this is all that ii get:

(pale moon:5423): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 10:26:57.223: g_dbus_proxy_new: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

(pale moon:5423): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 10:26:57.223: g_dbus_proxy_new: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed
1537626431750 addons.update-checker WARN update.rdf: Update manifest for uBlock0@raymondhill.net did not contain an updates property
1537626688850 addons.update-checker WARN update.rdf: Update manifest for uBlock0@raymondhill.net did not contain an updates property
Terminated

those lines appear immediately AFTER starting PM though and i have ublock origin set to NOT check for updates. i do that manually. i hate auto updating anything! that's the only extension i use and it's on version 1.16.4.4. i do have ublock origin updater installed, but that has been disabled also because i thought that may have been part of the problem.

edit:
here's a link to an article that has just crashed PM 3 times in succession
https://www.yahoo.com/news/republicans- ... 38951.html

just had PM crash reporter pop up, although i'm now using firefox, and when i clicked on the show details box, it disappeared!

i'm done for the day. will check back later.
Last edited by missmoondog on 2018-09-22, 15:23, edited 3 times in total.

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-09-23, 13:02

fwiw, tried the above yahoo link on a friends 32bit PM yesterday and it crashed/locked it also. just tried it on one of my 64bit machines and it loaded just fine.

both machines are running lubuntu 18.04.01
Last edited by missmoondog on 2018-09-23, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-09-23, 23:27

The only way to prevent crashes when you're using the oxygen-gtk theme is to use my patched version of that theme engine. Otherwise, you could use another theme.

Are you using oxygen-gtk as your theme on all the machines that crash?
Last edited by stevenpusser on 2018-09-23, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.

prosecco

Unread post by prosecco » 2018-09-24, 11:43

prosecco wrote:
missmoondog wrote:at first i thought this was just a 32bit issue so didn't post here but now the 64bit is constantly crashing on my computers also. thought that with the release of v28 this might straighten out but since 28.0..0.1 and 28.0.1, it crashes constantly.
This is curious, as today I started having repetitively crashes with 28.0.1 whereas before there were none.

Curiously, those crashes I had a few days ago didn't occur again. They happened just that day.

I have had this happen before BTW. Those crashes seem to happen a few times on just one particular day for some mysterious reason and then everything is fine again for months.

And I am still/again using 28.0.1 at this moment.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-09-24, 11:55

missmoondog wrote:here's a link to an article that has just crashed PM 3 times in succession
Unable to reproduce the crash on my 64-bit system. I will break out my 32-bit box later today and try to reproduce.
missmoondog wrote:just had PM crash reporter pop up,
Pale Moon doesn't have a crash reporter. Where did you download Pale Moon from?

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-09-24, 12:20

trava90 wrote:
missmoondog wrote:here's a link to an article that has just crashed PM 3 times in succession
Unable to reproduce the crash on my 64-bit system. I will break out my 32-bit box later today and try to reproduce.
missmoondog wrote:just had PM crash reporter pop up,
Pale Moon doesn't have a crash reporter. Where did you download Pale Moon from?
installed from here, https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... e=palemoon
Last edited by missmoondog on 2018-09-24, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-09-24, 12:25

stevepusser wrote:The only way to prevent crashes when you're using the oxygen-gtk theme is to use my patched version of that theme engine. Otherwise, you could use another theme.

Are you using oxygen-gtk as your theme on all the machines that crash?
using the default theme on all machines, what ever that is? haven't ever changed themes!

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-09-24, 14:04

don't know if i was supposed to have, but i just installed oxygen-gtk 1.4.6.2 using synaptic on my linux mint machine just to see what happens with PM. PM has only crashed once on here before, so don't know if this is supposed to fix anything, but we'll see.

will try it on one of my 32bit machines next time i get on one of those, unless some one says not to, or otherwise.

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-09-24, 19:54

just had my PM 28.1.0 on 64bit linux mint 18.04.1 crash/lockup on this link, https://www.yahoo.com/news/misconduct-a ... itics.html and this is since having installed that oygen-gtk thing!
Last edited by missmoondog on 2018-09-24, 19:55, edited 2 times in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-09-25, 00:00

missmoondog wrote:just had my PM 28.1.0 on 64bit linux mint 18.04.1 crash/lockup on this link, https://www.yahoo.com/news/misconduct-a ... itics.html and this is since having installed that oygen-gtk thing!
First off, there has never been a linux Mint version (18.04.1). In the Mint 18 series, there was: 18 (Sarah) 18.1 (Serena), 18.2 (Sonya) and 18.3 (Sylvia). The Mint 18 versions were all based on Ubuntu (16.04).

Secondly, I just copied the link you provided. Then I just opened a new tab, put the address of the link in my Navigation/Address bar and went to to the site which just made your linux Pale Moon crash. It is still open in the other tab while I type this post to you in this tab without any problems.

I can click on any buttons, go anywhere I want to on that site. I cannot get my 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.1.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19 (Tara) in the Xfce desktop environment to crash.

Incidentally, Mint 19 (Tara) is based on Ubuntu (18.04).

My 64 bit linux Pale Moon is in Firefox Compatibility mode. The only two add-ons I use are NoSquint and Adblock Latitude.

I'm guessing your oxygen-gtk theme is causing the problem.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox