Hint; maximize cpu speed for max Youtube resolution

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Hint; maximize cpu speed for max Youtube resolution

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-09-12, 20:44

This "goes without saying" but it should still be said. To get maximum resolution on Youtube, etc, you need to crank up your cpu to its max speed. It's not just laptops, many desktop PC's also have speed-scaling. On some distros the default governor seems to be "ondemand". This is not as fast as it could be. The problem is that "ondemand" drops down to slowest speed, and only ramps up when a cpu is under high load, by which time Youtube, etc is already dropping frames.

The solution to that is to switch over to "performance" mode. On a Youtube roller coaster video that I use for benchmarking, a used Lenovo went from being able to handle 480p to handling 720p without stuttering or dropping frames. Of course, laptop battery drain will speed up, and it may also heat up. So switch to a lower-drain setting after doing the heavy-duty stuff.

The details for doing so vary from distro to distro. It also requires that...
  1. The cpu is modern enough to support speed scaling.
  2. Speed scaling support is compiled into the kernel or available as a kernel module.
  3. Your distro has tools for accessing the speed scaling interface.
If you have items 1 and 2, but not 3, I wrote a bash script (YES!!!) that can enumerate, and switch between all available speeds or governors. Gentoo does have this available, but these cpu utilities tend to have a "pointy clicky oowie gui" design which pulls in a ton of graphic library dependencies. My bash script rquires bash... period... end of story.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Lew Rockwell Fan

Re: Hint; maximize cpu speed for max Youtube resolution

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2018-09-18, 01:57

Cool. Would you mind posting it? I presume this applies to local videos as well.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-09-18, 06:52

Here it is, with a "readme.txt" file.
Attachments
cpuspeed.tgz
cpuspeed script and readme.txt
(3.51 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Lew Rockwell Fan

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2018-09-19, 03:17

Walter Dnes wrote:Here it is, with a "readme.txt" file.
Thank you.