Is pale moon strictly x86 only?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
dommercb

Is pale moon strictly x86 only?

Unread post by dommercb » 2018-09-01, 06:41

Hi,

I'm learning how to port code to powerpc for linux as an excercise in how to use cmake, clang, gcc, and other tools, as well as to just better the PPC front of linux in total. However, I'm no developer, so on top of this being a learning opportunity its a practice in learning everything ground up.

So does pale moon strictly exist on X86? Would I be able to port it? If not, why not?

Thanks!

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Is pale moon strictly x86 only?

Unread post by adisib » 2018-09-01, 15:39

It shouldn't be x86 only. There used to be an Android version, built for ARM. You might be interested in this issue, as it suggests there is some degree of PowerPC support but that it is planned to be removed at some point: https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/188

dommercb

Unread post by dommercb » 2018-09-01, 16:35

Thats a shame. Looks like it'll have to be firefox and midori then. I was looking forward to having options for users who would want to use powerpc machines like pale moon because its not that resource heavy. Oh well.

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2018-09-01, 16:56

You could always maintain a PowerPC contributed build without any of the future PowerPC code removal if you wanted. Other people do similar, see here: http://www.palemoon.org/contributed-builds.shtml