[SOLVED]How do I update to v.28?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
markfilipak

[SOLVED]How do I update to v.28?

Unread post by markfilipak » 2018-08-30, 14:08

=== SOLVED ===
Success.
Steps taken:
1 - Download 'palemoon-28.0.0.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2' to any convenient temporary directory.
2 - Launch a file manager as 'root'. My file manager is DoubleCommander (not Nemo, which is way too primative, but it would probably also work).
3 - Close Pale Moon -- don't muck around while Pale Moon is running.
4 - Rename the '/opt/palemoon' directory to '/opt/palemoon (save)' (or really, any temporary name will do provided you do change it).
5 - Open 'palemoon-28.0.0.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2' and copy (drag) the 'palemoon' directory into '/opt/' (so that '/opt/palemoon' now exists again, but this time containing the new version of Pale Moon).
6 - Launch Pale Moon using the old (preexisting) menu launcher as usual -- the new version of Pale Moon should launch & run with no hiccups.
7 - If all is okay, then delete 'palemoon-28.0.0.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2' & '/opt/palemoon (save)'.
===

Events
1: Pale Moon for Linux installer v0.2.4 -> 'Update Pale Moon' responds "The latest version number could not be retrieved."
2: "You can also manually check and start the update from Pale Moon's Help -> About dialog box" (http://www.palemoon.org/faq.shtml#How_d ... _Pale_Moon)
3: NOTICE: pminstaller is no longer maintained (viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19828#p146997)

Event #1 fails. This led me to try #2 (the Pale Moon Help page).

#2 is false: There is no such update link in the About dialog box. This led me to look in the forum.

#3 explains #1, however, this leaves me with no way to update to v.28.

Help, please.
Last edited by markfilipak on 2018-08-30, 17:18, edited 5 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: How do I update to v.28?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-30, 14:28

Remove v27, install v28 from the tarball. After that #2 will be enabled.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2018-08-30, 14:35

Hi MC!
Moonchild wrote:Remove v27 ...
I'm running Linux, not Windows. I rely on 'synaptic'. 'synaptic' doesn't show 'palemoon', so I don't know how to "Remove" PM.
... install v28 from the tarball.
"... the tarball"? Kindly explain or link to something I can read.

Thanks!

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-08-30, 14:50

1) You didn't state what linux distro you're using. With that said, if linux Pale Moon is in your distro's repository, you'll have to delete the old 27 version first and then install the new 28 version.

2) If Pale Moon is not in your distro's repository, you'll have to "manually" delete the old 27 version and then "manually" install the new 28 version. This means you'll have to learn to use the command line terminal. With the terminal, you'll have to know the exact commands in the terminal to uninstall and install linux Pale Moon.

3) The third way is how I do it using linux Mint. I do not install linux Pale Moon. I basically run PM from it's executable file. Since it is not installed, I've learned how to create the PM launcher icon and this is not difficult if one is using a distro with an Xfce desktop environment. Below is how it is done (for me) using the Xfce.

What I do is download the 64 bit linux PM tarball from the link below.

http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/

I download the tarball to my Desktop. Then I right click on the tarball and when a context window appears, I left click on the words, "Extract here". Once the linux Pale Moon folder has been extracted, I place it in my Documents folder. Then I right click on my Panel taskbar and left click on "Add new items" and when the new window opens, I left click on "Launcher". Then I go through a few more steps to create the PM launcher icon using the Image Files in the PM folder.

The above most likely won't help you because there are many linux distros and they don't work the same. Mint is easy to use and I use the Xfce desktop environment because it is easy to do things in it, than in Mate or Cinnamon.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19828

In the link above, go to my the last post I made in that topic thread and you'll see my attachment showing how my PM looks like when it is not installed. And this is "not" a portable version either. You'll have to left click on the attachment to enlarge the attachment to make it easier to see. BTW, when a new version of PM is released, I first download the new version to my Desktop, then open up my Documents folder, delete the old PM folder from the previous version and then put the new extracted PM folder where the old version was deleted from and repeat the steps I've just mentioned.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-08-30, 15:09, edited 4 times in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Alexander
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Alexander » 2018-08-30, 15:08

Since you said you use pminstaller, you need to:
1. Use pminstaller to uninstall v27
2. Go to this link https://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/ and download the tarball (either 64 bit or 32 bit, depending on what architecture your system is [if in doubt, run the following line code of code in terminal:

Code: Select all

uname -p
3. Unpack the tarball in your home directory (~)

After those steps you only need a .desktop file, for a menu entry.

4. Inside directory ~/.local/share/applications create file palemoon.desktop and edit it with a text editor to have the following contents:

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Pale Moon Web Browser
Comment=Browse the World Wide Web
GenericName=Web Browser
Keywords=Internet;WWW;Browser;Web;Explorer
Exec=~/palemoon/palemoon %u
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Icon=~/palemoon/browser/icons/mozicon128.png
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Network;WebBrowser;
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;x-scheme-handler/ftp;x-scheme-handler/chrome;video/webm;application/x-xpinstall;
StartupNotify=true
Actions=NewWindow;NewPrivateWindow;

Icon[en_IE]=~/palemoon/browser/icons/mozicon128.png

Name[en_IE]=Pale Moon

[Desktop Action NewWindow]
Name=Open a New Window
Exec=~/palemoon/palemoon -new-window
OnlyShowIn=Unity;

[Desktop Action NewPrivateWindow]
Name=Open a New Private Window
Exec=~/palemoon/palemoon -private-window
OnlyShowIn=Unity;
Last edited by Alexander on 2018-08-30, 17:56, edited 1 time in total.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-08-30, 15:14

markfilipak wrote:3: NOTICE: pminstaller is no longer maintained (viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19828#p146997)
Instructions to upgrade to Pale Moon 28 exist in the very post you linked to:
trava90 wrote:1. Extract the Pale Moon 28 tarball (once released) to /opt, overriding the existing version there.
2. Run the following command from the terminal: sudo chown -R "$USER:$USER" "/opt/palemoon"

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2018-08-30, 16:04

trava90 wrote:
markfilipak wrote:3: NOTICE: pminstaller is no longer maintained (viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19828#p146997)
Instructions to upgrade to Pale Moon 28 exist in the very post you linked to:
trava90 wrote:1. Extract the Pale Moon 28 tarball (once released) to /opt, overriding the existing version there.
2. Run the following command from the terminal: sudo chown -R "$USER:$USER" "/opt/palemoon"
Wait a minute! That's your 'Instructions'? Hahahahahaha........

Look, I'm not lazy. I'm not stupid. I'm not inexperienced.

I'm a retired electronic design engineer from Silicon Valley in California. I've been submitting command lines since 1974, initially via IBM360 JCL, then Unix, then CP/M, then MS-DOS, Minix, & VM386.

You are a Linux developer. Your perspective is too technical. You don't see the problems because, like me, you tinker with Linux only to the point where you keep it limping and no further. Everyone does that. It a habit that keeps Linux perpetually crippled. In order to turn Linux into a real graphical operating system, the command line needs to be deleted.

PS: I'm running Mint 18 with Cinnamon in a VBox VM with Win10-1803 as host.
Last edited by markfilipak on 2018-08-30, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2018-08-30, 16:13

Alexander wrote:Since you said you use pminstaller, you need to:
1. Use pminstaller to uninstall v27 ...
That seems dangerous to me. What if something goes wrong? Then I'd have no web browser.

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2018-08-30, 16:20

We all will miss the pminstaller but the process of upgrading to 28 from 27 is a one-time event after which updating in Linux will become much simpler than it was before, at least according to Travis, MC and others.
Off-topic:
(I'd still like to find a way to contact access2godzilla to update what was originally his brainchild back in 2014, but that's another matter.)
Assuming 27 was last installed using the pminstaller in order to keep your current desktop launcher settings and profile in place you'll need to delete the current PM program files in /opt using this terminal command to get ownership as described by trava90:

sudo chown -R "$USER:$USER" "/opt/palemoon"
To avoid using the terminal beyond that point use the file manager to delete the contents of /opt/palemoon but not the directory folder itself which you just took ownership of the previous step. Then you can extract the downloaded v28 tarball in the file manager into /opt/palemoon using the context menu "extract to", but only after you have taken ownership of that directory which is incorrectly sequenced in his instructions.

The next problem I found is when the tarball is extracted it will be one level lower than before, in /opt/palemoon/palemoon instead of /opt/palemoon. A workaround solution is using the file manager you can initially extract the tarball into a temporary home folder and then copy the file and subfolder contents into /opt/palemoon.
After all this is done you should be able to use your existing panel (taskbar) launcher or desktop menu to start 28 and it will use your existing profile folder in /.moonchild_productions/pale moon/. I think doing it this way is easier than creating new desktop links from scratch after extracting the tarball elsewhere into your home folder. Most all system repository programs are installed in the file system and not in the user home directory and since the installer tool previously conformed to that practice I prefer to keep it that way.

At least after going through this protracted procedure one time updating will be as easy and accessing Help > About > Check for updates which will occur automatically based on your update settings in Preferences > Advanced > Update.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-08-30, 16:24

Doesn't Nemo (Cinnamon's file manager) give you the ability to extract the archive from the file context menu, and set permissions through the file properties dialog?
markfilipak wrote:That seems dangerous to me. What if something goes wrong? Then I'd have no web browser.
If something goes wrong (very unlikely), you can easily reinstall. Browser profiles are stored separately from the program files, so your actual data is not touched during uninstallation unless you tell it to. If you're still worried, listen to your engineer senses and make a backup of your profile.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2018-08-30, 16:25

Night Wing wrote:... I download the tarball to my Desktop. ...
How do I do that? Where (in the filesystem) is the 'Desktop'? I ordinarily use DownThemAll! (because it's robust) and download to a directory that's shared with the Host OS. I tried the downloader packaged in PM, but I didn't know where to save it.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-08-30, 16:27

markfilipak wrote:Wait a minute! That's your 'Instructions'? Hahahahahaha........
I fail to understand how extracting a compressed file is too technical? Those "instructions" are meant to be a help to people asking how to upgrade now that the pminstaller is no longer available (isn't that why you started this topic?). I'm sorry, but I do not know how to provide any simpler, less "technical" instructions than those.

This is my final post in this topic.

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2018-08-30, 16:30

Isengrim wrote:Doesn't Nemo (Cinnamon's file manager) give you the ability to extract the archive from the file context menu, and set permissions through the file properties dialog?
markfilipak wrote:That seems dangerous to me. What if something goes wrong? Then I'd have no web browser.
If something goes wrong (very unlikely), you can easily reinstall. ...
How? My installer is 'synaptic'. 'Synaptic' doesn't even list PM as an application.

From what I've read, I can't use 'pminstaller.sh' to reinstall because it will fail because it only installs the latest version (which I know fails).

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-08-30, 16:58

markfilipak wrote:From what I've read, I can't use 'pminstaller.sh' to reinstall because it will fail because it only installs the latest version (which I know fails).
Then I'm afraid the only way to reinstall is using the instructions provided above: extract the tarball and run the executable. /opt is the recommended directory because, from what I understand, it's the de-facto directory for installing software manually. But If you don't want to use the scary terminal to set ownership on a directory inside /opt, then extract it to the desktop or your user folder or somewhere that you do have write permissions. Pale Moon will run just fine.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2018-08-30, 17:08

Moonchild wrote:Remove v27, install v28 from the tarball. After that #2 will be enabled.
Thanks, MC, I've added the solution to the thread starter.

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2018-08-30, 17:09

Night Wing wrote: ...
Thanks, Night Wing, I've added the solution to the thread starter.

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2018-08-30, 17:10

CraigPD wrote: ...
Thanks, Craig, I've added the solution to the thread starter.

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2018-08-30, 17:11

Isengrim wrote: ...
Thanks, Isengrim, I've added the solution to the thread starter.

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2018-08-30, 17:12

trava90 wrote: ...
Thanks, trava90, I've added the solution to the thread starter.

SfdudePM

Re: [SOLVED]How do I update to v.28?

Unread post by SfdudePM » 2018-08-30, 17:47

thanks Mark
for the very clear ==SOLVED== instructions! (top of this thread)

Q:
do you still need to Run the following command from the terminal
after you complete your instructions:
sudo chown -R "$USER:$USER" "/opt/palemoon"
(as per Trava90's previous instructions?)
Last edited by SfdudePM on 2018-08-30, 17:50, edited 2 times in total.