PM28.0 not working with GTK2 ?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
anoullez

PM28.0 not working with GTK2 ?

Unread post by anoullez » 2018-08-29, 10:09

Hi,

I am using Palemoon since a few years, in fact since Firefox decided to abandon support for GTK2,
as I am maintaining/administering a few old workstations using Fedora14 32-bits i686.
Till the last version of Palemoon 27.9.4, I had no problem at all running Palemoon on these.
But the new PM 28.0 fails immediately to run and does not even start with the message:
palemoon: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/palemoon-28.0/libxul.so: undefined symbol: gdk_x11_set_sm_client_id
Is that function absent from my system (a search for it with Google says that the function is "deprecated" for
GDK2, but seems to be present in GDK3) ? Is the function needed for Palemoon ? Is there a way to circumvent
the problem ?
Thanks a lot for any help !

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: PM28.0 not working with GTK2 ?

Unread post by distantpluto » 2018-08-29, 10:35

I'm using the GTK2 built PM28 from the AUR (Arch Linux) and it works perfectly, no problems. I have no DE and my apps are GTK2 where available and GTK3 when no other option.
Pale Moon and Epyrus on Arch Linux.

tooshorttoolong
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tooshorttoolong » 2018-08-29, 10:49

PM28 still uses Gtk2 for its GUI, but I guess this function call was inadvertently kept when the devs pulled changes from the Firefox code base? I have Gtk3 installed on this Devuan system so this wouldn't prevent PM28 from starting here.

I wonder if this Gtk2/3 mix is why the GUI is behaving strangely. If I open the preferences, for example, and click on a tab, the GUI isn't refreshed. I'm still visually on the old tab. But if I close and re-open the preferences, then it's the tab I clicked on that's displayed. The context menu is sometimes behaving wrong too.

Edit: I see that this function has existed since Gtk2 2.24 so it's something else...

Edit2: according to Distrowatch, Fedora 14 only has Gtk 2.22.
Last edited by tooshorttoolong on 2018-08-29, 11:07, edited 2 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-08-29, 11:24

Fedora 14 in insanely old and if i recall the version of gtk2 it ships with isn't even the last version before it was discontinued.

Why are you using such an old copy of fedora?

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dinosaur » 2018-08-29, 12:04

anoullez wrote:palemoon: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/palemoon-28.0/libxul.so: undefined symbol: gdk_x11_set_sm_client_id
Either you update your GTK+2 version to v2.24 (get the source RPM package for Fedora14 for GTK2+, download the latest GTK+2 version, change the tarball version number in the source RPM spec file and rpmbuild it), or comment out that gdk_x11_set_sm_client_id() call in Pale Moon sources and recompile: if it's the only missing function, not calling it will not cause much trouble (only a minor annoyance if you use your window manager to decorate Pale Moon's window differently than the default theme decorations)...

In any case, I got Pale Moon v28 in its GTK+2 flavour working just fine here (on PCLinuxOS).
Last edited by dinosaur on 2018-08-29, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-08-29, 12:17

Pale Moon nor the Unified XUL Platform makes a point of supporting ancient libs or operating systems. I think you will find that even if you recompiled Pale Moon to not use that function somehow it would only be the start of a long string of missing things on such an outdated version of fedora as well as the build dependencies would indeed be too old to compile in all likelyhood.

Any apperence of Pale Moon or UXP suitably for ancient hardware or outdated operating systems and their libs is merely coincidental and actual funtionality achieved in that arena is happenstance.

The platform and its applications are soley designed for reasonably modern hardware and updated system software only.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-08-29, 12:22, edited 3 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-29, 12:20

Please take note of http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/

It lists the minimum requirements. If you system does not meet those minimum requirements in terms of lib versions, then update your libs or OS to meet the minimum requirements. We cannot provide any support or troubleshooting for systems that are below the minimum specs.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite