google recaptcha not working on pale moon linux ver.

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Lassar
Moon lover
Moon lover

google recaptcha not working on pale moon linux ver.

Unread post by Lassar » 2018-08-28, 20:52

Can't get google recaptcha to work on pale moon linux ver.

I have tested the google recaptcha on my windows pc, and it works.

Tried it on the same pc with puppy linux, and and google recaptcha does not work.

The problem is you can't click on the check box to get it checked.

Google recaptcha demo:

Thinking google must have changed the capacha javascript to something that
pale moon (linux) does not support.
Last edited by Lassar on 2018-08-28, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: google recaptcha not working on pale moon linux ver.

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-08-28, 21:20

Lassar wrote:Can't get google recaptcha to work on pale moon linux ver. Tried it on the same pc with puppy linux, and and google recaptcha does not work.

Google recaptcha demo:
Thanks for providing the clickable link.

After clicking on the link, I "can" click on the check box to get it checked. BTW, on the demo version, which took a few minutes to verify the bicycles and fire hydrants example, it said I was successful and verified I was not a robot.

I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.0.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Lassar
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Lassar » 2018-08-28, 21:56

The capatcha was working on version 27.91 of pale moon(linux), and it simply
stopped working.

Been doing more research on the forum, and tried adding
dom.messageChannel.enabled set to true.

Now it works!

Why does this make it work?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-08-28, 23:15

Lassar wrote:Been doing more research on the forum, and tried adding

Now it works!

Why does this make it work?
The "dom.messgeChannel.enabled" is not listed anywhere in my 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.0.0 in "about: config" running in 64 bit linux Mint 19. Maybe it is because we are using different linux distros. Just a guess on my part.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2018-08-29, 10:32

Lassar wrote:Can't get google recaptcha to work on pale moon linux ver.

I have tested the google recaptcha on my windows pc, and it works.

Tried it on the same pc with puppy linux, and and google recaptcha does not work.

Google recaptcha demo:

Thinking google must have changed the capacha javascript to something that
pale moon (linux) does not support.
Worked first time for me with PM28 on Arch Linux. 3 clicks on cars and authenticated.
Pale Moon and Epyrus on Arch Linux.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-08-29, 17:14

Since there can be different ways to get PM on many distros, it falls to the OP to let us know what distro they are using and how they installed PM. Maybe they are using a distro's native build? Who knows?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-08-29, 19:59

stevepusser wrote:Since there can be different ways to get PM on many distros, it falls to the OP to let us know what distro they are using and how they installed PM. Maybe they are using a distro's native build?
I think you are correct because in some linux distros, Pale Moon is in their repositories where people can install it via the Terminal or through their package manager. Pale Moon is not in the Mint repositories do I have to "manually" go it to use.

But unlike most people, my linux Pale Moon is not installed. I just create the Pale Moon launcher icon to start it. I've been doing it this way since linux Pale Moon made it's public release back in January of 2014.

GetUIDViaCovfefe

Unread post by GetUIDViaCovfefe » 2018-08-30, 22:57

Hello
I like to report that i have had experiences like this on linux too for the past month or so, after i upgraded the build today (to Version: 28.0.0~repack-3) i was able to complete the recaptcha as posted in this topic (the demo) successfully but only after i disabled noscript.

When i was experiencing this weirdness in my occasion it would just go on forever show new images and never let me able to complete the recaptcha. Note that i gave appropiate permissions to (thirdparty) domains via noscript.

I dont really get the idea about verifying that you arent bot VS doing training of neural net image data but i guess thats another topic.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-31, 06:43

GetUIDViaCovfefe wrote:i was able to complete the recaptcha as posted in this topic (the demo) successfully but only after i disabled noscript.
When i was experiencing this weirdness in my occasion it would just go on forever show new images and never let me able to complete the recaptcha. Note that i gave appropiate permissions to (thirdparty) domains via noscript.
One of the many reasons we treat this extension the way we do.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-08-31, 21:26

Lassar wrote:Can't get google recaptcha to work on pale moon linux ver.
. . . . .
Lassar wrote:The capatcha was working on version 27.91 of pale moon(linux), and it simply
stopped working.

Been doing more research on the forum, and tried adding

Greetings from a Windows user. :)

For info, this issue of "can't click on the check box" isn't Linux-specific.
But it is specific to PM 27.*

Am posting to connect this discussion to the related portion of a thread in General Support.
Please see @roytam1's post (and mini-discussion that starts here).
Night Wing wrote:The "dom.messgeChannel.enabled" is not listed anywhere in my 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.0.0 in "about: config"

That preference is irrelevant to PM 28 - it only means something for PM 27.
But with that said, in PM 27 it's a hidden preference that the user has to create.

Gordon Dry
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Gordon Dry » 2018-09-06, 02:08

Lassar wrote:Been doing more research on the forum, and tried adding

Now it works!
Thanks.

cegoj

Unread post by cegoj » 2018-09-08, 07:50

I have the same problem since a few days. Recaptcha check box is no longer clickable. After a few seconds the message "Sorry, something went wrong. Please try reloading the page" appears.

Just tried the above posted demo link. Then a different message appears. "Please upgrade to a supported browser to get a reCAPTCHA challenge. Alternatively if you think you are getting this page in error, please check your internet connection and reload."

Just disabled the addons but the problem persists.

I have about 20 old laptops from the XP era. Now revived again with debian stable or ubuntu lts in different flavors like mint peppermint bodhi linuxlite etc. Of course all 32bit and low memory 1GB 2GB or 3GB.

After a while I replaced all preinstalled browsers like midori or firefox or chromium with pale moon. Surfing is now much more fun with less %cpu and memory usage and without the almost daily browser update madness. Never had a problem until now after the update to Pale Moon 28. Ugly slow and sluggish. So I sticked on some machines with Pale Moon 27. Now new problems with recaptcha since a few days. They must have changed something. I admit I'm seldom on sites that require a captcha challenge. So not sure when exactly Google changed it. I'd appreciate if you find a solution and provide an update.