Revert back the new behaviour for login/password field

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
musicmedia

Re: Revert back the new behaviour for login/password field

Unread post by musicmedia » 2018-08-28, 12:41

sorry sir but
You seem to think I'm using browser for usage in a confined room ?
I'm using it into a room full of people and connected to multiple shared screens the same I'm looking for
That means, nobody look over my shoulder, they just look at their screens
I cannot even finish opening a website (protected area) where I'm using multiple logins for different purposes that everybody can see all my login list pop-out from nowhere and without my consent
That means everybody can see all my private logins used for that protected area in that 28 version
In the 27 version, I had TO CLICK to see that list of logins
In my personal situation, as I do not want to share all my login with everybody, I just enter the first letter of the login I want to use (ie. "mus" to get "musicmedia")... then NO pop-up was coming out just the login I wanted to use
It that 28 version I can't do that, you just put something where everyboidy can see all my login list without having any option to disable it

this sir, is privacy concern
And yes, not everybody is using a browser in a confined room

Thanks for your understanding
Hoping to have something to control that thing in the futur version
Till there, no choice than to use version 27

Thank you !

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-08-28, 16:13

If I'm looking correctly... (& I'm looking at PM 26)

A username is only automatically filled in if you have selected (or have not deselected), "Stay signed in" (on the mail.yahoo.com page).
And that (particular) name, I gather, is stored in a cookie.
(At least if a username is filled in, clearing all Yahoo cookies & refreshing the page, & the name is gone.)

So if you do not select "Stay signed in", then no names will automatically be filled in the username field.

Typing into the username field, will select name(s) based upon what you start to type.
Likewise clicking on an empty username field will display all stored "usernames" (& they may not necessarily be specific to Yahoo).

The names that the username field come up with are stored in formhistory.sqlite.
Display of form field data is controlled by:
> Tools | Options (or similar) | History -> Use custom --> Remember search and form history

So if you don't want any names to display in the username field (in fields in general), uncheck Remember search & form history.

I'm unclear, understanding, how behavior differs in PM 28?

Earlier, you mentioned an about:config Pref. Which was that?

So you have multiple things going on.
Cookies, form-fill, & separately - which I did not look at, the storing of username/passwords in Password Manager.
Last edited by therube on 2018-08-28, 16:19, edited 4 times in total.

musicmedia

Unread post by musicmedia » 2018-08-28, 16:25

this has NOTHING to do whith the new behaviour I want to get an option to revert it
what you are syaing was already and always been available on all version and was NOT a concern and it is NOT concerned here
If you don't know how to do exactly what I'm asking for... please don't reply... sorry but I got alot of reply which can't do anything asking...
Only the guru is capable to do something because it has no way whatsoever right now in pm28 to get rid of this new behaviour...
We had some discussion already here... just hope he will understand...

No way to use 28 version in is actual behaviour
pm 27 works great... so whay change for something I do not want to deal with...
Currently is the only choice I have

I wish an option in "about:config" will be created in the future version something who look like:
browser.privacy.popup.login-list.enable true/false

It's all I'm asking about
this is giving the choice to the user to use it or not (even it is enabled by default, I will able to revert it if the option is there... of course)

Please, don't send me message who cannot do anything with the behaviour change

Thanks !

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-28, 16:29

Excuse me but you are talking about privacy when you are broadcasting your screen to others, and then want to blame the browser for it?... :crazy:

The only thing that will ever be shown on the screen will be the user names, never the connected passwords.

Since user names in login fields are already displayed in the form of a filled-in text field, nothing new will be shown on the connected screens. The only issue you seem to have is that you are using the browser in a public setting in a profile with private stored credentials as well. That's not very smart. I suggest you use a profile in which the user names that you don't mind others seeing being the only ones stored, and not storing login details of user names you don't want displayed.

Pale Moon 27 did -not- work great, in this respect, since it did not allow people to store specific username/password combinations, nor did it allow storing passwords without a user name attached to it. With the way login screens have changed, the way it worked was no longer satisfactory for most users.

If you insist you want an option in the browser for your very specific workflow, then I suggest you either write an extension for it, offer a pull request to that effect for the core, or hire someone to do it for you. If we make a feature request out of this, I have to be realistic and say that it will be far in the back of our backlog to look at, and will likely never be prioritized.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-08-28, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

musicmedia

Unread post by musicmedia » 2018-08-28, 16:31

So I will stay with version 27 and block any future version
Same I did with firefox a couple time ago

Good Luck !

musicmedia

Unread post by musicmedia » 2018-08-28, 16:39

& by the way I may have say "sharing screen" instead "display"
where NOBODY can do anything else than to LOOK AT
multi-monitors room for people to follow what I'm saying & doing

So they just saw all logins pop-out
but they will never see anything because I did not make any upgrade and will not occur unless the behaviour is revised with an option to control it

Just wanted to precise it

Thank you,

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin » 2018-09-03, 20:05

Last I checked nobody here is on your payroll. Options were offered and ignored; rollback means you are on an unsupported version - please don't ask for further support.

Locking this thread.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"