Is gconf required? Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Is gconf required?

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-08-18, 12:53

I'm trying to build Pale Moon 28 from source, however, during the configuration phase it fails saying that it can't find gconf 2.0.
I don't have gconf installed, and other GTK2 programs still work fine (including Pale Moon 27).
Does Pale Moon require gconf to be run, or can I disable it?

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Is gconf required?

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-08-18, 13:37

Yes you will need the gconf2-devel package installed to compile Pale Moon.

I'm not sure if there is a way to disable it or not. You might poke through the source code and see if there's a disable option.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-08-18, 14:40

I looked at the configure scripts and the only message I saw regarding disabling gconf was about tests not working, but I didn't really trust that message so I asked.
I think I'll just install gconf at this point, I don't really want to mess too much with the source code.
Thank you.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-08-18, 23:32

Yes you can disable it. I do a "native build" on my desktop machine. It does not have developer tools, gconf, pulseaudio, etc, so I disable a few options at build time. From my mozconfig ( see my sig :D ). Note, this is non-standard, so do NOT --enable-official-vendor

Code: Select all

# My customizations

ac_add_options --disable-dbus
ac_add_options --disable-gconf
ac_add_options --disable-gio
ac_add_options --disable-pulseaudio
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2 -march=native -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables"
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way