Theme regressions in 28.0.0 Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Newb I the Newbd

Theme regressions in 28.0.0

Unread post by Newb I the Newbd » 2018-08-18, 05:36

Hi,

In the beginning, I'd like to express my sincere thanks for all the effort in keeping people like me equipped with a browser not as bizarre as Firefox these days, yet not a Chrome clone. Specifically, thanks for keeping gtk2 supported on the Linux version for all this time - on the very day Pale Moon releases a version without support for that, I would have to make the unfortunate decision of finding myself some sort of a Chrome clone, with even the completely custom interfaces being more reliable than what gtk3 unfortunately is.

I have been using Pale Moon since a pretty long time, and the recent 28.0.0 release sadly felt like a noticeable visual downgrade to me. Specifically, all the browser parts that aren't directly related to Australis, yet are themed in cooperation with the system, seem to now be themed like their Firefox 52 ESR counterparts - and that's sadly not the look that people like me, often hating gtk3 even more than loving gtk2, appreciate.

In particular, the new Pale Moon release closely follows Firefox 52 ESR in bloating many of the widgets with unnecessary spacing, something seen all around in the "gtk3 world", while typically despised by the people still using gtk2. Furthermore, the scrollbars don't seem to retain full compatibility with the custom themes, with their background becoming all white, which I guess is a regression even when an user considers gtk3 usable, so I hereby report that. :)

To back up these claims, I'm attaching a rough comparison between a few places in Pale Moon 27.9.4 and Pale Moon 28.0.0, as well as a troubleshooting.txt (well, actually json, that extension isn't accepted for some reason) of my Pale Moon 28.0.0. They were all taken on freshly made Pale Moon profiles, with the theme White Moon installed.

Is there a chance that the described parts of Pale Moon's interface get backported to their 27.9.4 counterparts? I, for one, would be very thankful for that, perhaps just as much as I am for the lack of Australis.

Thank You Very Much.
Attachments
27.9.4.png
27.9.4 ProfileManager.png
28.0.0.png
28.0.0 ProfileManager.png
troubleshooting.txt
(17.47 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

Newb I the Newbd

Re: Theme regressions in 28.0.0

Unread post by Newb I the Newbd » 2018-08-19, 18:15

Actually, I retract most of the ranting about spacing; while I still for some reason prefer the compact way this had looked in 27.9.4, in the name of unity with the other gtk2 applications, most of the changes (barring the icons) definitely should be kept, as they are actually in line with how the other gtk2 applications have it, while it was the previous version that wasn't apparently entirely conformant, even if I considered it fancier. My apologies.

The parts of that unfortunate rant that I don't quite retract are the scrollbar bug and the spacing in menus, the spacing being there due to how the long war against facts resulted in me realizing that the menus still often use different spacing from the one in the enabled gtk2 theme, albeit only when a custom Pale Moon theme is enabled as well. According to the Pale Moon IRC channel, though, fixes for these problems are already being made.

Huge thanks to all the awesome people working on Pale Moon!