Compile Pale Moon 28 on Fedora

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
bgstack15
Fanatic
Fanatic

Compile Pale Moon 28 on Fedora

Unread post by bgstack15 » 2018-08-18, 01:42

I have successfully compiled Pale Moon 28.0.0 on Fedora 27 (my personal blog).
For those of you who do not wish to click through to the link for any reason, here are the directions. They are modified from the official CentOS 7 instructions.
Install dependencies

Code: Select all

sudo dnf -y install gtk2-devel dbus-glib-devel autoconf213 yasm mesa-libGL-devel alsa-lib-devel libXt-devel zlib-devel openssl-devel sqlite-devel bzip2-devel pulseaudio-libs-devel
sudo dnf -y groupinstall 'Development Tools'
Install additional dependencies

sudo dnf -y install GConf2-devel notification-daemon
Use autoconf 2.13
Albeit not the best way to get autoconf 2.13, it does work just to copy-paste this paragraph.

autoconfver="$( autoconf --version 2>/dev/null | awk 'NR==1 {print $NF*100;} END {print "0";}' | head -n1 )"
test ${autoconfver} -ne 213 &&amp test ${autoconfver} -gt 0 && sudo mv /usr/bin/autoconf /usr/bin/autoconf-${autoconver} 2>/dev/null ; sudo ln -sf autoconf-2.13 /usr/bin/autoconf
Fetch source

mkdir ~/pmsrc ~/pmbuild
cd ~/pmsrc
git clone https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP .
Prepare to compile
This mozconfig is identical to the mozconfig demonstrated on the official Pale Moon page for CentOS 7.

tf=~/pmsrc/.mozconfig
touch "${tf}"
cat <<'EOFMOZCONFIG' > "${tf}"
mk_add_options AUTOCLOBBER=1
mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=/home/$USER/pmbuild/
ac_add_options --enable-application=palemoon

ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2"

# Please see https://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml for restrictions when using the official branding.
ac_add_options --enable-official-branding
export MOZILLA_OFFICIAL=1

ac_add_options --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk2
ac_add_options --enable-jemalloc
ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --with-pthreads

ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-eme
ac_add_options --disable-parental-controls
ac_add_options --disable-accessibility
ac_add_options --disable-webrtc
ac_add_options --disable-gamepad
ac_add_options --disable-necko-wifi
ac_add_options --disable-updater

ac_add_options --x-libraries=/usr/lib
EOFMOZCONFIG
Compile

cd ~/pmsrc
./mach build && ./mach package

I have a few questions.
  1. I hope to create a Fedora COPR (formerly "cool other packages repos," now just "Community packages") with an rpm of Pale Moon. Do I have your permission to proceed with that plan, with the default mozconfig from the official "Compiling" page linked above?
  2. Would you be interested in adapting these instructions as needed and sharing them on the official Compiling page?

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Compile Pale Moon 28 on Fedora

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-08-18, 02:05

bgstack15 wrote:I have a few questions.

I hope to create a Fedora COPR (formerly "cool other packages repos," now just "Community packages") with an rpm of Pale Moon. Do I have your permission to proceed with that plan, with the default mozconfig from the official "Compiling" page linked above?
Would you be interested in adapting these instructions as needed and sharing them on the official Compiling page?
Please get in touch with me via forum PM or email.