Missing dependancies!

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Spudozo

Missing dependancies!

Unread post by Spudozo » 2018-08-17, 21:36

I cannot install PM due to broken packages i.e. missing files. Never had this before so any ideas please?

I note that Steve has mentioned a fix in '-2' which I think is the same issue but I still get the same result. (viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19954#p147834)

I have tried both the PPA and direct 'deb' but in both cases the following are required: 'libavcodec 54 to 58' Not seen this before and using LInux Mint ( Mate) 18.3 (Sylvia)

Spudozo

Re: Missing dependancies!

Unread post by Spudozo » 2018-08-18, 10:21

I have trolled 'Synaptic' and cannot find any reference to these files (libavcodec 54 to 58 and libavcodec-extra 54 - 58) so not able to install them.

Need help with this puzzle as not being a programmer I'm stuffed!! :thumbdown:

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-08-18, 13:27

On some distro's libavcodec is included in the ffmpeg package. Try installing that package.

Spudozo

Unread post by Spudozo » 2018-08-18, 15:53

Hi trava90 that is loaded and I have re-installed it plus libavcodec-extra and libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56 just in case. No change!

I had thought about removing one or two and replacing with 'similar' files but the 'auto-removable' queue looked deadly so I have left that for the moment,
especially as it is untrodden ground.

I shall pop a query on the Mint Forum and see if any suggestions are forthcoming.

Meanwhile using Chromium as Firefox keeps crashing. Pale Moon where are you?? :crazy:

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-08-18, 18:15

OK, looks like Ubuntu went their own way with the 16.04 packages and decided to give them yet another name with "ffmpeg" added for the transition from the libav source to ffmpeg, so I'll add those as alternatives with a new "-3" revision. New build should be ready in an hour or so.

https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/ffmpeg

The problem stems from me trying to optimize the dependencies per Debian policy, since PM really doesn't need all of ffmpeg for playback...but there turned out to be a lot of different libavcodec package names out there.
Last edited by stevenpusser on 2018-08-18, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

Spudozo

Unread post by Spudozo » 2018-08-18, 20:11

Hi stevepusser sorry to give you extra work. What I do not understand is why PM worked before when I was using 18.3. Is it an update they have done? Not that it really matters I suppose.

Looking forward to success . . . :thumbup:

EDIT 18-8 @ 21:20

Super all up and running - what a relief canna stand Firefox or Chromium!

Thanks very much.
Last edited by Spudozo on 2018-08-18, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-08-18, 20:38

Glad to see that's fixed. For previous versions, I had it depend on ffmpeg or libav-tools, which would automatically pull in the distro's version of libavcodec, but also more stuff that Pale Moon doesn't need. Debian packaging policy doesn't really like that sort of thing at all, so I'm having it just bring only what it really uses with the various versions of libavcodec.

I'll do a -4 revision to add support for Ubuntu Trusty builds if I get a successful gcc-4.9 Trusty build in the repo, but that takes hours and hours to build there.