PM 28 font problems

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Harkonnen
Moonbather
Moonbather

PM 28 font problems

Unread post by Harkonnen » 2018-08-17, 16:01

After updating to PM 28 i am experiencing some issues:

1. Fonts rendering. Some webpages looks absolutely ugly unless i disable "allow pages to chose their own fonts". I dont know whats going on here, but this is PM 27.9.3
snapshot44.png
And this is PM 28
snapshot45.png
The font page requests is "sans-serif,Arial,Helvetica". Arial and Helvetica are not installed, and sans-serif is setup to Lucida Sans in both PM and fontconfig. If "allow pages.." is unticked PM28 looks normal but this disables webfonts...

2. Scrolling. PM 27 and prior had very smooth and fast scrolling, in PM 28 scrolling is slow and jerky, with visible tearing.

3. PM28 renders <i> as bold italic instead of italic.

4. This is a problem of my profile, its not present in a new one. After update to PM 28 background color of PM notifications (file download etc), as well as urlbar dropdown and some extensions dialogs switched from light gey to annoying white, and i cant find what controls it. I dont want to start a new profile because of this :(

5. In PM27 when using full zoom 1px lines (like table borders f.e) stayed 1px until they turn 2px all at once at ~170%. In PM28 some of the lines go 2px starting with 105%, cause all tables to look ugly at any zoom except 200%.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-08-17, 21:51, edited 3 times in total.

fillerup

Re: PM 28 problems/bugs

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-08-17, 16:09

did you try to see if 1 works properly in a new profile? regarding 2, it's quite curious that i had the exact opposite experience..

Harkonnen
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Harkonnen » 2018-08-17, 16:36

1, 2 and 3 are the same in a new profile.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-08-17, 16:45

that's awful. i'll see if i experience the same issues when i fire up my linux partition and install the new version

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: PM 28 font problems

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-17, 21:55

Please include information from help -> troubleshooting information.

There's an issue there with your fonts not being antialiased like in Pale Moon 27. This might be because of graphics back-ends not agreeing with your linux setup but we need more information for that.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Harkonnen
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Harkonnen » 2018-08-18, 03:35

Here is help -> troubleshooting information from clean profile. Font issue is present.

P.S. I have just updated my other computer to PM 28. Its runs debian jessie, not stretch, and the font issue is present here too, but is significantly less severe. Like in stretch there is no AA at all with "allow pages.." enabled, but in jessie there is some AA, just worse quality that with "allow pages.." disabled.
added a help -> troubleshooting from jessie comp. Here is a jessie screenshot
snapshot46.png
P.P.S. This is getting weirder. On some sites fonts looks ok, there is literally no difference between "allow pages.." on/off. The strangest thing is that a page with no problems ask for "sans-serif,verdana,geneva,arial cyr", with verdana, geneva, and arial cyr not installed this should translate to exactly same Lucida Sans as a problematic http://anidb.net.

P.P.P.S OK, i kind of fixed it. I had set it in fontconfig that Arial is alias to sans-serif, and then that preferred sans-serif is Lucida Sans. And PM 27 picked that correctly. but PM 28 fetched some other font. I dont have Arial installed, so idk what font it used, maybe it actually went and fetched arial from the web somewhere? And on linux most of the mscorefonts renders ugly, that exactly why i dont have them installed. So i went and setup force binding for mscorefonts in fontconfig, like this

Code: Select all

<match target="pattern" >
    <test name="family" qual="any" >
     <string>Arial</string>
    </test>
    <edit mode="assign" name="family" binding="same" >
     <string>Lucida Sans</string>
    </edit>
 </match>
and now PM 28 correctly grabs Lucida Sans instead of Arial. It also seems that freetype version in jessie renders mscorefonts a little less ugly than the one in stretch, thats why it was less severe in jessie.
Attachments
a.txt
help -> troubleshooting information from stretch
(23.81 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
jessie.txt
help -> troubleshooting information from jessie
(32.14 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Last edited by Harkonnen on 2018-08-18, 08:08, edited 7 times in total.

Harkonnen
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Harkonnen » 2018-08-18, 14:13

Now, regarding to scrolling issue, it seems to be related to pictures. Pages with text only scroll fast and without tearing. On pages with pictures scroll is jerky and tears. And tearing is not a video output related, because i managed to stop scrolling a few times at exact moment of tearing, and page stayed teared for around 5 seconds before it fixed itself.

Harkonnen
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Harkonnen » 2018-08-19, 06:44

The bold italic instead of italic was a fontconfig issue too. My default font italic and bold italic variants had wrong weight and actually both registered as light italic in fontconfig, PM27 picked some other font (probably a second preferred font) for italic, PM28 picks this font with wrong weight. I thinks that PM27 behavior there was more correct, but as this issue only arise with incorrect fonts and can be fixed on fontconfig level it is a non issue.

Harkonnen
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Harkonnen » 2018-08-28, 07:53

The scrolling issue is even more interesting. It is possible to stop scroll in a state where you cant interact with a page - links are not clickable, alt text is not showing. Scrolling one tick in any direction fixes this.