Setting PM as preferred application

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Spudozo

Setting PM as preferred application

Unread post by Spudozo » 2018-08-16, 16:47

Hi,

I've had a 'play' but cannot work out how to set PM as my default or preferred browser in Mint (Mate) Tara. At the moment I only have Firefox as an option which is not even installed!

Thanks.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Setting PM as preferred application

Unread post by therube » 2018-08-16, 17:42

I don't know Linux, Mint, but maybe something here, http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_browser#Linux.

s/palemoon/firefox/g ;-).

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Re: Setting PM as preferred application

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-08-16, 17:43

How did you install Pale Moon?

The versions from my repository put PM into the alternatives system, so you can set it as the preferred "x-www-browser" from the command line or from a GUI such as galternatives. If you installed the binary from Pale Moon, you'll have to add it to the alternatives system manually.

Spudozo

Re: Setting PM as preferred application (CLOSED)

Unread post by Spudozo » 2018-08-17, 16:53

Hello,

Thanks for the replies.

therube I have tried the options available on that link to no avail - however read on:

steve Before I could get to your option my system 'died'. I'm afraid that Mint 19 has been accumulating various small niggles which have finally sent me back to Mint 18.3.

That said and all well installed I cannot install PM because of broken packages! Not seen this before namely 'libavcodec 54 to 58'. Any ideas? Using your PPA (of course :thumbup: ).

Thanks to both.

PS - Oh - and despite various critics on the web I still think PM is th best!!

Closing this as the dependencies is another issue which I have posted.
Last edited by Spudozo on 2018-08-17, 21:40, edited 2 times in total.