Remove all internet browsing traces from Palemoon?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
paddle59

Remove all internet browsing traces from Palemoon?

Unread post by paddle59 » 2018-08-10, 22:37

Hi

How do I remove all internet browsing traces from Palemoon? How do I "sanitize"?

I wanted to use Bleachbit but it does not support Palemoon.

Using Debian flavor of Linux.

Thanks

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Remove all internet browsing traces from Palemoon?

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-08-10, 23:20

History > Clear Recent History..., set Time range to clear to Everything and check everything under Details, and then Clear Now. To remove LSOs (Flash cookies) you might need another method, not sure what that would be on Linux. You could also remove your profile (in ~/.moonchild productions/pale moon), but that would also remove bookmarks, add-ons, and all customizations, and I would recommend creating a back-up somewhere before messing with it.

What are you trying to accomplish? "remove all internet browsing traces"/"sanitize" is a bit vague.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-08-11, 02:11

SpockFan02 wrote:To remove LSOs (Flash cookies) you might need another method, not sure what that would be on Linux.
Adobe Flash creates 2 directories; $HOME/.adobe and $HOME/.macromedia (note the leading dots). Removing them is accomplished from the command line by...

rm -rf $HOME/.adobe $HOME/.macromedia

One trick I used to use was...

Code: Select all

rm -rf  $HOME/.adobe $HOME/.macromedia
touch $HOME/.adobe
touch $HOME/.macromedia
This would create zero-byte files whose names would clash with the directories, so that Flash couldn't create the directories. There may be some sites that refuse to function if they can't read/write in those directories.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-08-11, 03:52

SpockFan02 wrote:To remove LSOs (Flash cookies) you might need another method, not sure what that would be on Linux.
Clearing cookies from the Clear Recent History dialog includes LSOs (and other plugin data).
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

emarkay

Unread post by emarkay » 2018-08-22, 19:47

Delete everything from yout profile directory except the following - see attachment.

MRK
Ubuntu 16.04.x & Windows XP-SP3, Dell Precision 390, Pentium D 3.40G, 4G RAM, NVIDIA GT360, 2M VRAM
Ubuntu 16.04.x Dell Dimension E520, Pentium D 2.80G, 3G RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT, 1M VRAM
Attachments
Screenshot from 2018-08-22 15-28-48.png

Lew Rockwell Fan

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2018-08-25, 09:47

The problem with recipes like these is that even if they are perfect at the time they become outdated. Even if you're useing a browser that bleachbit maintains a profile on, they're only human. Depends on who your opponent is. Your kid sister, your friendly neighborhood Russian Spy (they're everywhere you know - it says so on TV), or the real bad guys? To eliminate all local traces with confidence, the only dependable solution is a live disk. The remastering program on PClinuxOS was great last time I checked. The native ones for Ubuntu 16.04 suck like a hurricane. Respin, last I checked, wasn't really maintained for Ubuntu, but one variation of it works fine for me. The maintainer for the Debian version keeps plugging away at it, but last time I checked there, it was broken for Stable, although I think the old version still worked. The remastersys script is not terribly complicated. If one of the Sons or Remastersys doesn't work for you, if you know bash and put in some hours at it, you can probably figure out where it's broken.

Of course all that is assuming you want to make your own live disk from a nix with pm installed. You could use one of the distros that put out standard live disks and run palemoon portable or download the tar and extact it and run it directly from the executable inside.

All of which just address LOCAL traces. If you're selling the design of the antimatter bomb (just kidding NSA) to Tahitian spooks, you should remember that there are non-local traces as well. You can't delete those of course. But you can stop them from getting recorded in the first place. At least in theory. Maybe. If you believe in the tooth fairy. But that's another sTORy altogether.

And btw, if you do manage to deal wih the Tahitians, advise them that if they drop it on the gulf coast, the survivors will hunt them down and extract revenge. But if they target DC, we'll send them a nice thank you note.