Window configuration after recovery from crash Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Window configuration after recovery from crash

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-08-07, 20:40

Due to some issues on my part, the browser crashed.
After opening it again, I'm presented with the recovery screen, in which I select the tabs I want to recover from the crashed session.
However, if the crash happens when the window is unmapped (that is, it's not visible on the screen), after recovering the session, the browser window would be unmapped, going back to the same window configuration as before the crash.
I use a tiling window manager which puts every window in a list, so having the browser unmap itself means that I have to get to the list of windows and select it.
Aside from the annoyance of having to look up the browser, having it suddenly disappear after recovery is quite off-putting and a few times I thought it crashed again.
Is there a way to configure the browser so that it forgets the window configuration of the crashed session?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Window configuration after recovery from crash

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-07, 20:45

Storing window positions and states is an inherent part of sessionstore -- it can't be configured otherwise, sorry.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-08-08, 00:00

I understand, thanks for the quick reply.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-08-09, 02:25

I'm not quite following, the "unmapped' part in particular, but see what browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash might do for you?
(IOW, setting that to 'false', should not bring up about:sessionrestore after a crash [afaik].)

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-08-09, 12:19

therube wrote:I'm not quite following, the "unmapped' part in particular, but see what browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash might do for you?
(IOW, setting that to 'false', should not bring up about:sessionrestore after a crash [afaik].)
"Unmapped" is an X11 term. It means the window is not visible on any screen, but just saved in memory.
I do need the session restore screen, the issue is that after recovering the window becomes unmapped again as that was its state before the crash.
But as Moonchild said, it's not possible to change this behaviour.

Also I had forgot to mark this as solved, thanks for bumping the thread. :crazy: