Backed up profile but something broke anyway

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Backed up profile but something broke anyway

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-07-28, 18:57

I decided to try out the unstable version. I backed up my version 27 profile. I then downloaded the unstable and extracted the pale moon folder into /opt (where I had version 27 installed). After playing with it for a short while, I deleted the version 28 pale moon folder in /opt, and extracted the version 27 pale moon folder back into /opt. Then I deleted the version 28 profile in the .moonchild productions folder in home, and copied back over my old version 27 profile folder. Now it's showing I don't have any extensions installed, and when I try to install any extensions (via File >> Open File), nothing happens. What gives? I was careful to backup my version 27 profile but something still broke.

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Backed up profile but something broke anyway

Unread post by CraigPD » 2018-07-28, 20:28

I had a similar problem when running both 28beta and 27 in different profiles in home/.moonchild productions and program folders in /opt, where the default 27 profile became inaccessible, always using the 28beta profile either from launch or terminal command. The only solution was to reinstall 27 using the install script from the Pale Moon Linux download page. Somehow that cleared the issue and I was able to run each profile independently again. Since it installs to the same system location as you're extracting it's worth a shot. After starting one time then copy your profile backup and hopefully it should sort the problem out.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Backed up profile but something broke anyway

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-08-02, 22:46

Thanks for the suggestion CraigPD, but I already got it fixed. Creating a new profile fixed the problem, but I'd still like to know why things got borked. [Maybe I should've just stayed on the unstable. :eh: ]
Last edited by ron_1 on 2018-07-28, 21:12, edited 2 times in total.

Last bumped by ron_1 on 2018-08-02, 22:46.