minimalizing palemoon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
solar_eclipse

minimalizing palemoon

Unread post by solar_eclipse » 2018-07-27, 01:15

Hi there I am new.

I want to ask if it is possible to minimize palemoon in the way to just do not use ffmpeg (and all the packages comes with it) and maybe gnome-icon-themes (is this only need to have colored buttons or also for websites? Buttons that using text only would be cool)

Maybe doing this by creating and installing dummy packages or something like that?

thx for ur answers!
;)

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: minimalizing palemoon

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-07-27, 12:53

If you build the browser yourself, instead of using the official installer, you can configure it to not use certain features.
However, I wouldn't reccomend doing it, unless you really have a strong reason to do it.
Especially since custom builds are not supported (save from community help), so if you have issues you're on your own.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: minimalizing palemoon

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-07-27, 13:35

Note that you're probably on your own for support, if you stray off the beaten path. If you buy a Chrysler car, and substitute a Ford engine and GM transmission, your Chrysler dealer won't have the tools/parts/knowledge to support your setup.

Disabling ffmpeg means you'll lose audio/video abilities on PM. I don't know how it'll interact with everything else, but the source code does include an option to disable ffmpeg. You'd have to insert the following line into your mozconfig. ac_add_options --disable-ffmpeg

I prefer other ways of reducing the size of the final program.

1) Do you really need devtools? If not, insert ac_add_options --disable-devtools into mozconfig.

2) There's a tweak in GCC to minimize the binary size. No, I'm not talking "-Os" which slows down execution. There's a short discussion on the busybox mailing list... ...about how to minimize binary size. busybox is meant to operate in memory-constrained environments. The busybox devs are pros, and wouldn't do risky stuff. I add the following line to my mozconfig
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2 -msse2 -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables"

BTW, at home I run Gentoo linux, where everything except a few proprietary binary blobs (Flash plugin, Nvidia video drivers, etc) is built from source. I've been running with "-fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables" for over 5 years. If this was going to cause problems, I think I would've "found out the hard way" by now.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way