Font for specific characters Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Font for specific characters

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-07-26, 12:17

Hello.
I had installed a font to display certain (offline) contents with the proper formatting.
However, this font ended up being used by Pale Moon to render asian characters, instead of the font I was using till then.
The issue is that this font doesn't make it easy to read at small sizes (I have font size at 16), and since I sometimes read japanese text, I had to remove the font.
I'd like to know if there is a way to tell Pale Moon to use a certain font to display those asian characters, so that I can have the illegible font installed but still use the legible font when browsing the web.
I'm posting this in the Linux subsection in case there are Linux-specific steps to take.
Thank you.

yami_

Re: Font for specific characters

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-07-26, 14:23

vannilla wrote:I'd like to know if there is a way to tell Pale Moon to use a certain font to display those asian characters, so that I can have the illegible font installed but still use the legible font when browsing the web.
Try this:
  1. Go to Tools > Preferences > Content > Fonts & Colors.
  2. Click on Advanced....
  3. In the uppermost drop-down menu select Japanese.
  4. Select preferred serif, sans serif and monospace typefaces.
Pale Moon should now use fonts you specified.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-07-26, 19:47

That worked indeed.
Thank you.
But do I have to do that for every language?

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-07-26, 22:56

vannilla wrote:But do I have to do that for every language?
If you want to use the same typeface everywhere you need to do that for every supported writing system.