Which version of Palemoon and which dependencies do I need? Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
al_5488

Which version of Palemoon and which dependencies do I need?

Unread post by al_5488 » 2018-07-25, 20:37

Super Newbie, not looking to build or customize, just want to use Linux and Pale Moon. Mint Cinnamon 19 is currently working fine from the ubc drive.
I'm looking to download the Palemoon Linux version and have some questions about which Palemoon version ( download location) is correct for Mint Cinnamon 19 (ubantu based)?
And which dependencies should I choose?
I have-
GTK+ v3.22.30
GLibc v2.54.3
Pango v1.40.4
I need-
X.Org (ftp://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/x.org/current/)
libstdc++ 4.3 (https://pkgs.org/download/libstdc++)
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Which version of Palemoon and which dependencies do I need?

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-07-25, 20:50

Back when I was running Linux Mint (13 through 18), I don't remember ever needing to install any extra packages for dependencies. I remember Pale Moon working just fine on a fresh Mint installation.

Depending on how comfortable you are installing software on Linux, you can either use the pminstaller tool on the linux.palemoon.org page or install Pale Moon from one of Steve Pusser's repos in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11466
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2018-07-25, 21:02

al_5488 wrote:Super Newbie, not looking to build or customize, just want to use Linux and Pale Moon. Mint Cinnamon 19 is currently working fine from the ubc drive.
I'm looking to download the Palemoon Linux version and have some questions about which Palemoon version ( download location) is correct for Mint Cinnamon 19 (ubantu based)?
And which dependencies should I choose?
I have-
GTK+ v3.22.30
GLibc v2.54.3
Pango v1.40.4
I need-
X.Org (ftp://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/x.org/current/)
libstdc++ 4.3 (https://pkgs.org/download/libstdc++)
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Don't worry about dependencies. Those are for older distros. Just download the Pale Moon installer, extract it and run the pminstaller.sh file. Nemo filemanager should present a dialog asking how you want to run the script. Choose "Run" (not Run in Terminal) and the Pale Moon installer should appear.

If you install on a regular live USB without persistence, Pale Moon will be gone next time you boot. Install Linux first and then Pale Moon.

al_5488

Unread post by al_5488 » 2018-07-25, 22:02

thanks to you both. I was following the instructions on this post ( http://linux.palemoon.org/) and yeah , it was looking tricky. My plan is to download and save everything i need. When I have it all then I'll figure out in which order to install and where to save everything. Linux doesn't appear to have the same storage system as windows? I'm pretty sure I don't have enough memory to run both OS's from the hd so it will be one of those 'install linux at the same time as I am deleting windows deals' If that's possible LOL. thanks again.

al_5488

Unread post by al_5488 » 2018-07-25, 22:18

Pardon my brain fuzz, it's been a long day. Am I right to assume that if I download the installer and run it, it will download the correct version of Pale Moon? Or is there only one version of Pale Moon for Linux and many ways to install it based on the Linux version?

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2018-07-25, 22:31

al_5488 wrote:Pardon my brain fuzz, it's been a long day. Am I right to assume that if I download the installer and run it, it will download the correct version of Pale Moon? Or is there only one version of Pale Moon for Linux and many ways to install it based on the Linux version?
The installer should give you the latest version of Pale Moon for Linux x64.

The version of Pale Moon for Linux that is delivered by the installer works on all big distros as far as I know. :thumbup:

al_5488

Unread post by al_5488 » 2018-07-25, 22:51

cheers! I'm almost there!

tooshorttoolong
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tooshorttoolong » 2018-07-26, 17:47

al_5488 wrote: Linux doesn't appear to have the same storage system as windows?
Generally speaking, Linux can read and write Windows’ filesystems, but Windows cannot read Linux’ filesystems. You can use an NTFS partition to share data between Linux and Windows.

As to the space needed for a Linux installation, I’d say 10GB is a minimum, 20GB would be safer, depending on what you want to install/store on the Linux partition.