Palemoon on Linus Mint 19 64 -cannot launch Palmoon-wont open up now?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Dustie_Rose
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Palemoon on Linus Mint 19 64 -cannot launch Palmoon-wont open up now?

Unread post by Dustie_Rose » 2018-07-20, 18:35

hello to all users of Mint 19
I did recently do the upgrade on my Dell laptop 64 Precision 2800, 64bit OS. I keep all updated daily. Everything was working beautifully, did not install anything but repository addons to the O.S. Cannot figure out after all my backtracking what caused Palemoon to not open up by clicking on it as always to launch my browser, weird. Analysed all desktop settings, checked all my OS settings on hardware and software.
Never had any issues with my favorite browser, Palemoon. I see a few signs of a new type of malware I read about today, my issue is weird, I reinstalled several times, this happened before updating and after also. Also I had an email spoof from my Dr. that they didn't send re: personal medical information in Microsoft Outlook formats, never seen before in my Zoho email which never happens. If I post this in wrong forum, my apologies so don't rip me a new one. lol.

ISSUE: cannot launch Palemoon by any method using mouse or keyboard. Terminal does not recognize it.

Not sure what is causing this, I ruled out all the obvious causes, did the recovery method twice, uninstalled recent downloads, even did all the usual steps that I know have nothing to do with this happening. Also, the installer to update was very difficult to launch which I did try every available installation method, including zip and installer download. finally got the update done, but still would not launch. it opens up as if it is corrupted. If I need to add more details,please let me know. thanks for all the hard work done on Palemoon again, my primary browser. (I was forced to use Firefox temporarily because of this, YUK). :thumbdown: :think: :roll:

Any input is more than welcome, if I am overlooking the tiny stupidest thing, ideas?
Off-topic:
Also found this article on a new malware intriguing today:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/desktop- ... n=19072018

As people become wiser to how malware works, malicious developers have had to up their game in order to trick people into downloading their payloads. One of the more interesting methods that has arisen in the past few days is a type of malware that starts off changing how a desktop shortcut works so that it executes a file. It’s a very interesting attack vector which people should definitely keep an eye out for in the future!

How Desktop Shortcuts Work
shortcut-malware-icon

To understand how the malware works, we need to first break down what a shortcut is. If you install a piece of software on your PC, it typically puts itself in a folder such as Program Files. When you want to access it, you need to run the executable file inside the software’s folder within Program Files. Having to navigate through a network of folders every time you want to run software is a real chore! Fortunately, shortcuts were made to help speed up the process.
Shortcuts are just as the name says: a shortcut to the executable’s home on your computer. When you double-click a shortcut, it goes into the folders and runs the executable for you, so you don’t need to do any work. You can see what a shortcut will activate by right-clicking it, clicking “Properties” and looking in the “Target” box.

shortcut-malware-path

How the Attack Works
This particular strain of attack begins its life as a Word macro. Somehow you’ll have downloaded a document in Russian with a photo of a house on it, but theoretically, this macro could be put into any document.
Once the macro activates, the malware looks for specific shortcuts on the desktop. This includes Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, and Skype. Once it finds one, it downloads a malicious executable file, then changes the target of the shortcut it found to point at the malicious file.
When the user double-clicks the infected shortcut, they end up running the infected target, and more malicious code is downloaded. Part of the code includes setting up an Ammyy Admin, a remote desktop software that malware developers use maliciously to gain control of people’s computers. It also harvests some system information and sends it via email to the attacker.

How to Stop It

Of course, constantly checking your desktop shortcuts for altered targets is not ideal! The best defense here is to not download shady documents, let alone running macros off of them. Always double-check that the document you’re downloading is coming from a good source.
Of course, this may be the start of something larger as people take on this new attack vector. In this case a strong antivirus should hopefully detect the malicious executables being installed and warn you of them before they can do any damage. There are many free antiviruses available that do a stellar job of protecting your PC despite their nonexistent price tag.

Cutting Out Shortcut Malware
The prospect of your desktop shortcuts suddenly morphing into malware activators can be distressing, but getting the malware onto your system in the first place involves a lot of steps that should never be done in general. Now you know how to dodge this attack and can keep aware of it in the future should it return.
----------------------------------
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-07-20, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Palemoon on Linus Mint 19 64 -cannot launch Palmoon-wont open up now?

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-07-20, 18:43

Dustie_Rose wrote:but still would not launch. it opens up as if it is corrupted.
What do you mean by this? What specific error message(s) do you get?
Dustie_Rose wrote:Terminal does not recognize it.
Again, what specific error message(s) do you get?
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-07-20, 19:22

Which desktop environment are you using in 64 bit linux Mint 19 (Tara)? Are you using Cinnamon, Mate or Xfce? And are you running the 64 bit version of linux Pale Moon?

I'm asking because in Mint, if you inadvertently choose the wrong bit browser, 32 bit instead of 64 bit, the browser won't open. This happened to one of my friends who was not paying attention and chose 32 bit linux Pale Moon instead of 64 bit since his motherboard is 64 bit, but he is also using Mint 18.3 in the Xfce desktop environment. Once he realized what he had done and installed 64 bit linux Pale Moon, his Pale Moon opened and work properly.

The above is just a "shot in the dark".
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-07-20, 19:39

Night Wing wrote: I'm asking because in Mint, if you inadvertently choose the wrong bit browser, 32 bit instead of 64 bit, the browser won't open.
Not necessarily. Multiarch support allows 32-bit apps to run on 64-bit Linux, and if it's not already enabled by default it can easily be installed/enabled.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Dustie_Rose
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Dustie_Rose » 2018-07-22, 02:25

thank you for the suggestions, I did verify it was the correct download. However, it happened before and after. I think it had something to do with the latest Firefox update, my default was switched. It is working ok now. I disabled all addons with safemode to diagnose the situation. I got no error message, just non reactive.
I am not sure exactly what caused this but I am fixing to do an upgrade on Mint again to reinstall it and make sure it is a clean install.
again, thank you all for the help. Always appreciated as always.
Dustie_Rose.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-07-22, 02:30

Off-topic:
Clean installs of a newer Mint version is better than going the upgrade route. There's always a handful of posts on the Mint forums concerning borked upgrades. Just make sure you backup all your stuff.

Dustie_Rose
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Dustie_Rose » 2018-07-22, 02:39

Regarding Mint 19, with the issue now on the Palemoon downloader, I use the Cinnamon version by the way, all 64 OS. I only have one Dell that is 32, which still runs 17.3 Mint-Cinnamon desktop. They are constantly making improvements with Mint. I have never had any issues with Palemoon on any of my PCs, or laptops, till now. An amazingly compatable browser, now though I am really not trusting Firefox anymore. Noone seems to be impressed with the Quantum versions.
I do with they would adapt Palemoon as their default browser across the Linux platforms as least as an alternative choice which I realize is not an easy feat with all the distros.
I will now check out the other versions just to keep an eye on adaptability with Mint, and other versions of Linux I try out. I have a couple more already on CD and flash to test drive.
Thanks all for the suggestions, sometimes overlooking the obvious makes a person feel stupid, LOL. Didn't do it this time.
Dustie.

Dustie_Rose
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Dustie_Rose » 2018-07-22, 02:41

I always do my backups, now I have several drives for each one of my laptops. Never had a botched upgrade, however there is always a first. thanks for reminders.
Dustie.