Palemoon crashing every minute with GLXBadContext error

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Palemoon crashing every minute with GLXBadContext error

Unread post by dinosaur » 2018-07-19, 21:33

terranigma wrote:Is there any chance that NVIDIA's proprietary driver installed with Mesa libGL?
A very good question, indeed.

When using the proprietary drivers, you must always reinstall them each time your distro's Mesa (and/or X11) packages are updated, else you will run into library conflicts (NVIDIA's GL libraries replace Mesa's) !
Last edited by dinosaur on 2018-07-19, 21:34, edited 3 times in total.

eater

Unread post by eater » 2018-07-19, 21:55

Amazing. I've reinstalled the Nvidia drivers (various versions) a handful of times yesterday and today already, but I just went in and manually symlinked /usr/lib/libGLX_mesa.so.0.0.0 -> libGLX_nvidia.so and now I have WebGL. Thanks!

There was already a libGLX_mesa.so.0.0.0 there but it's timestamped May 3, so whatever changed to cause the crashing this week, that wasn't it.

terranigma

Unread post by terranigma » 2018-07-20, 16:52

It seems your distro has some packaging post-install/upgrade problems. Whenever you install some alternative LibGL, package manager must take care of proper switching between libGL variants, at least it should prevent to install the package due to the conflict.

If you ask me, I wouldn't spend a nickel for a Nvidia card for use. This company isn't doing well with OpenSource community.

AMD and Intel are contrary. They have good support.
Last edited by terranigma on 2018-07-20, 16:55, edited 3 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-20, 17:46

terranigma wrote:It seems your distro has some packaging post-install/upgrade problems.
This is Arch we're talking about. You shouldn't be surprised.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2018-07-21, 15:00

eater wrote:Amazing. I've reinstalled the Nvidia drivers (various versions) a handful of times yesterday and today already, but I just went in and manually symlinked /usr/lib/libGLX_mesa.so.0.0.0 -> libGLX_nvidia.so and now I have WebGL. Thanks!

There was already a libGLX_mesa.so.0.0.0 there but it's timestamped May 3, so whatever changed to cause the crashing this week, that wasn't it.
You should not be symlinking system libraries, you will definitely get bitten further down the road. The only time I've ever had nvidia issues is when I've forgotten to reboot after an nvidia update, as alluded to by dinosaur.
Off-topic:
vannilla wrote:All I know is that Arch is notorious for breaking X one way or another (but I don't know if these rumors are true), so all I can suggest is to uninstall X and its drivers, and GTK just in case, then reinstall them.
Make sure you also delete any config you added to fix this issue.
If you don't know if the rumours are true then how can you then know "Arch is notorious for breaking X one way or another"? It isn't by the way, you shouldn't listen to rumours. And what is the point of uninstalling "X and its drivers, and GTK just in case", just to reinstall them? If the system's up to date then any packaging problem would have already been flagged by the update process.
Moonchild wrote:
terranigma wrote:It seems your distro has some packaging post-install/upgrade problems.
This is Arch we're talking about. You shouldn't be surprised.
Well I'd be surprised and I've been using it since 2009. More rumours from people who don't actually use it? ;) Not that there aren't occasional issues (obviously, also dependent on what you've got installed) but in my experience they're very few and far between and very easily fixed. Arch is rock solid for me. It's running on four machines here and I honestly couldn't tell you the last time there was an issue.
Pale Moon and Epyrus on Arch Linux.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-21, 16:51

Off-topic:
We've recently had plenty of issues with Arch -- not because of the OS itself, but we were talking specifically about the packagers who have been dropping the ball regularly...
So, not rumors ;) But certainly also not talking about the OS itself, just how packages are managed.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2018-07-21, 17:15

Off-topic:
Moonchild wrote:We've recently had plenty of issues with Arch -- not because of the OS itself, but we were talking specifically about the packagers who have been dropping the ball regularly...
So, not rumors ;) But certainly also not talking about the OS itself, just how packages are managed.
Admittedly I don't read every thread on the forum but I'd be genuinely interested to know what packages you're referring to. The only thing I remember seeing was reference to AUR packages but that must have been before I started using Pale Moon.

Anyway... keep up the good work. Myself and the Mrs really enjoy using Pale Moon :)

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-07-21, 18:35

Off-topic:
distantpluto wrote: If you don't know if the rumours are true then how can you then know "Arch is notorious for breaking X one way or another"? It isn't by the way, you shouldn't listen to rumours. And what is the point of uninstalling "X and its drivers, and GTK just in case", just to reinstall them? If the system's up to date then any packaging problem would have already been flagged by the update process.
Going around other places I've seen people mocking Arch for breaking X, so that's the "All I know".
But since I'm not an Arch user, "I don't know if those rumors are true".

As for uninstalling stuff, I can tell you I had an issue some time ago in which some of my system files ended up corrupted. That's not something the packaging system can detect.
The only way to fix that was to reinstall the affected programs.
Since I didn't know what was going on with eater's problem, I took into consideration that some files might've been corrupted by something.
I suggested uninstalling them to make sure the system was clean (save for user-edited files), before reinstalling them, as to avoid spurious errors.

terranigma

Unread post by terranigma » 2018-07-21, 19:43

I'm a former Arch user and I tired of getting unnecessarily urgent package upgrades.
Bleeding edge may sounds good but it begins to irritate in time when unnecessary updates break things.

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2018-07-22, 10:34

Off-topic:
vannilla wrote:As for uninstalling stuff, I can tell you I had an issue some time ago in which some of my system files ended up corrupted. That's not something the packaging system can detect.
The only way to fix that was to reinstall the affected programs.
Since I didn't know what was going on with eater's problem, I took into consideration that some files might've been corrupted by something.
I suggested uninstalling them to make sure the system was clean (save for user-edited files), before reinstalling them, as to avoid spurious errors.
Fair enough.
terranigma wrote:I'm a former Arch user and I tired of getting unnecessarily urgent package upgrades.
Bleeding edge may sounds good but it begins to irritate in time when unnecessary updates break things.
Well I guess all our experiences are different. Like I said earlier, I've been using it since 2009 on a variety of different hardware and moved my original install on four motherboard/cpu/hd/ssd/etc upgrades on my desktop, never reinstalling. My wife and daughter's laptops and my server are also running Arch, no problems. Staying up to date and not constantly suffering from stale packages and having to dist upgrade every six months was the reason I moved from Ubuntu.

I honestly don't relate to other people's "Arch woes"!

tooshorttoolong
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tooshorttoolong » 2018-07-22, 11:39

Since we’re off topic… I started using Arch in 2010 and stopped in 2015 because the Arch devs kept jumping on unstable software and breaking things.
I don’t remember having significant problems with the nvidia drivers though.

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2018-07-22, 13:40

Off-topic:
I'm definitely in the minority around here! Time to :silent: ... :thumbup: