Palemoon crashing every minute with GLXBadContext error

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
eater

Palemoon crashing every minute with GLXBadContext error

Unread post by eater » 2018-07-17, 14:50

I've been using Pale Moon all day every day for months with no problem, running the Arch binary build on my Arch Linux desktop with vanilla i3 as window manager. Suddenly yesterday afternoon, I hadn't changed any config or made any updates to anything, and the browser crashed.

Since then, whenever I launch it, it crashes after a few seconds, saying:

Code: Select all

[24772] ###!!! ABORT: X_GLXDestroyContext: GLXBadContext; 4 requests ago: file /home/trava90/PaleMoon/pmsrc/toolkit/xre/nsX11ErrorHandler.cpp, line 144
[24772] ###!!! ABORT: X_GLXDestroyContext: GLXBadContext; 4 requests ago: file /home/trava90/PaleMoon/pmsrc/toolkit/xre/nsX11ErrorHandler.cpp, line 144
zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)  palemoon
I tried safe mode, I tried removing my profile, and I tried all the GTK-related tips I found in this thread.

Then I tried using the latest binary download from linux.palemoon.org instead of the Arch package. Same crash.

Then I tried uninstalling the Arch palemoon-bin package and building my own executable from the Arch source package, and that still gives the same error, just with a different file location:

[22232] ###!!! ABORT: X_GLXDestroyContext: GLXBadContext; 3 requests ago: file /tmp/pamac-build-eater/palemoon/src/Pale-Moon/toolkit/xre/nsX11ErrorHandler.cpp, line 144
What the heck is going on? I'm posting this from Chromium and I hate it!

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Palemoon crashing every minute with GLXBadContext error

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-07-17, 17:46

It's an error with GTK or with the X server. That kind of error has nothing to do with Pale Moon.
Try reinstalling them or something like that.
I'd start with the X server though.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-17, 18:09

Please check for any updated system packages that were installed at the time this problem started.
As pointed out this isn't a Pale Moon code problem, it's something in X11, and Pale Moon is just reporting the error as it bubbles up before crashing (since there is no graphics context anymore, it can't continue).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

eater

Unread post by eater » 2018-07-17, 18:22

Weird. I haven't done any upgrades. The most recently modified file in /etc is datestamped July 7. Likewise in /usr/bin except for the new palemoon I built trying to solve this. And dozens of other GTK applications are running perfectly fine.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-17, 18:44

Is your graphics card still kosher? If it's on the way out, that would explain too.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

tooshorttoolong
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tooshorttoolong » 2018-07-17, 18:54

Based on https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=873434 , I wonder if:
- you can run glxgears
- you have rebooted your machine recently

eater

Unread post by eater » 2018-07-17, 19:19

glxgears does not run:

$ glxgears   
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  154 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  21
  Current serial number in output stream:  22
I've never tried to run it before, so no idea if something changed there.

I hadn't rebooted for a couple of weeks before today, but this morning I did, and again just now. No change.

terranigma

Unread post by terranigma » 2018-07-17, 20:41

Can you post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log here or to https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/ if it's loo long.

terranigma

Unread post by terranigma » 2018-07-18, 20:31

Your problem seems related with "Indirect GLX disabled"

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi ... text-issue
.... newer X servers disable indirect GLX by default for security reasons. Does it work if you start your X server with the +iglx option?

eater

Unread post by eater » 2018-07-18, 21:25

Wild! I edited my lightdm.conf, which I've never touched before (it was timestamped a few months ago) and added xserver-command=X +iglx and restarted X and now I can stare at those beautiful glxgears spinning all day if I want! Oh, and Pale Moon too.

Thanks so much for helping me track down this mysterious little roadblock.
Last edited by eater on 2018-07-18, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-18, 21:37

So, I guess your X server got updated when this started then -- it's a potential issue though if this becomes a default. Workarounds are fine, of course, but no real solution.

eater

Unread post by eater » 2018-07-18, 22:01

If it was a change to the X server, wouldn't the X session need to have been restarted for that to take effect? When the Pale Moon issue began, I had been logged in for several days.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-18, 22:38

eater wrote:If it was a change to the X server, wouldn't the X session need to have been restarted for that to take effect?
No idea! I don't use X myself. maybe the Linux gurus around here can provide more information.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-07-19, 12:14

Apparently indirect GLX has been disabled by default in version 1.16, which is fairly old (the git repository says 4 years, but I'm not sure it's correct).
Though if it's about indirect rendering, maybe you have a setup that starts programs like they are on a remote machine.
Do you have a custom configuration for the X server? If so, what happens if you use the default settings?
Also check other programs' configs, like session managers, window managers, etc. just to make sure.
No need to change configs of applications like Pale Moon as that doesn't affect how programs are executed.

eater

Unread post by eater » 2018-07-19, 15:51

No, I haven't ever customized anything in X or lightdm, it's all straight out of the box. The first time I ever touched it was to put in terranigma's suggestion yesterday.

Strangely, that fix seems to have broken WebGL in Pale Moon. I have webgl.disabled=false and webgl.force-enabled=true but https://get.webgl.org/ now says "While your browser seems to support WebGL, it is disabled or unavailable."

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-07-19, 16:40

Well, WebGL most likely requires direct rendering (for good reasons, being more performant and all), but since Pale Moon is running under indirect rendering, the browser can't use it.
Unfortunately I can't help you any more, as I don't know what is going on.
All I know is that Arch is notorious for breaking X one way or another (but I don't know if these rumors are true), so all I can suggest is to uninstall X and its drivers, and GTK just in case, then reinstall them.
Make sure you also delete any config you added to fix this issue.

eater

Unread post by eater » 2018-07-19, 17:16

WebGL definitely isn't something I need, it's just cool for occasional browser games, so in my case, ripping out an otherwise perfectly good display server and starting again is a little too drastic an experiment.

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dinosaur » 2018-07-19, 20:47

Strange... I'm using Pale Moon (both v27 and v28) and never have had any issue with GLX (no crash). I'm using NVIDIA's proprietary drivers and Xorg.0.log reports:

(II) Initializing extension GLX
(II) Indirect GLX disabled.
WebGL is working just fine too.

terranigma

Unread post by terranigma » 2018-07-19, 21:22

Is there any chance that NVIDIA's proprietary driver installed with Mesa libGL? You can check it via :

glxinfo
ls -l /usr/lib/libGL*