unable to run palemoon on centos 6

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
jalalmadini

unable to run palemoon on centos 6

Unread post by jalalmadini » 2018-07-08, 16:59

Hello

i have a centos vps and i have installed xrdp to be able to connect to it via remote desktop , it works fine and i tried to install Pale moon (currently using firefox) , i have used the pminstaller tool.

the instalation was "successful" and i got palemoon in my internet tab under applications , but when i try to run it , get a tab for palemoon in the botton bar saying
Starting Pale Moon W.... but it disappears after 15 seconds and palemoon never starts

i have tried to remove it and re-install it and noticed that it gives me some erors at the end of instalation :

Code: Select all

which: no palemoon in (/tmp/pminstaller.lPcfpZ/bin/x86_64:/tmp/pminstaller.lPcfpZ/tools:/tmp/pminstaller.lPcfpZ/bin/x86_64:/tmp/pminstaller.lPcfpZ/tools:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin)
gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.
which: no update-alternatives in (/tmp/pminstaller.lPcfpZ/bin/x86_64:/tmp/pminstaller.lPcfpZ/tools:/tmp/pminstaller.lPcfpZ/bin/x86_64:/tmp/pminstaller.lPcfpZ/tools:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin)
ls: cannot access /usr/share/hunspell: No such file or directory
any idea what is the issue here ?

cheers

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: unable to run palemoon on centos 6

Unread post by therube » 2018-07-08, 20:55

I gather you're getting PM through your distro?
(And suspect they're packaging incorrectly.)

The the download from, http://linux.palemoon.org/.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-08, 21:20

therube wrote:I gather you're getting PM through your distro?
(And suspect they're packaging incorrectly.)
No, they are using the pminstaller script supplied by us.
Unfortunately I can't help since Linux isn't my forte and I know very little about the installer -- but alternatively to the installer you can always just download the tarball and unpack it to a writable directory of your choice, and run ./palemoon from there.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

tooshorttoolong
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tooshorttoolong » 2018-07-09, 17:53

Centos is using very old libraries (even older than Debian I believe) so it may be the issue. Try running palemoon from a terminal and see if you get an error message.

Alternatively try running:

Code: Select all

ldd $(which palemoon)
and see if it says some libs are missing.
Last edited by tooshorttoolong on 2018-07-09, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.