easy way to add second profile?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
zack832

easy way to add second profile?

Unread post by zack832 » 2018-07-03, 03:22

I'd like to have the option as I had in Firefox to choose which profile I want to open, have not stumbled across a way to do that with PM and Linux Mint 17.3 Tried adding "palemoon %u -p" to the launch icon but that did not work. Any easy way to enable this and import another profile?

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: easy way to add second profile?

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-07-03, 05:08

I think launching with the -profilemanager flag [Edit: Or -P] should let you do what you want to do. I would also recommend this extension, based on code taken from SeaMonkey.
Last edited by SpockFan02 on 2018-07-03, 05:11, edited 1 time in total.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-07-03, 06:00

you need to use either the "-no-remote" or "-new-instance" option. They're effectively identical. It's mentioned in the output when you run "palemoon -h" from the commandline in a terminal. E.g. to launch a profile named "youtube", you'd need to do something like...

palemoon -no-remote -p youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_2gbGXzFbs

I have a whole slew of profiles, not all open at the same time.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-07-03, 06:09

To open multiple instances of Pale Moon with different profiles, you need to do what Walter Dnes said. If you just want multiple profiles, and to use one at a time, the flags I mentioned are enough.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-07-03, 11:52

zack wrote:Tried adding "palemoon %u -p" to the launch icon but that did not work
Explain, this "launch icon" (& what gets passed in %u)?

Anyhow, the -P switch does work, does bring up the Profile Manager.
If PM is already running, running palemoon -P would not have an affect.

[quote="Walter]"-no-remote" or "-new-instance" option. They're effectively identical.[/quote]
That may not be the case - in Windows? (Actually hard to say offhand. Over time, the meaning of the switches changed, maybe even changed back - on the Mozilla end, & may also differ by OS. And then throwing a particular PM version into the equation & which meaning may have been in force at the time of that particular PM version ...)
Last edited by therube on 2018-07-03, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

zack832

Unread post by zack832 » 2018-07-03, 14:41

I found what I was after. I edited the tray icon and removed the" palemoon %u -p" line from the command line. Replaced it with the command I used in the desktop link I had created long ago to do multiple profiles open at once " palemoon -new-instance " and it brings up the dialog about choosing a profile as I wanted.

Thanks for the info-
Last edited by zack832 on 2018-07-03, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-07-03, 16:36

Cool! :thumbup: