version 27.9.2 & 27.9.3 crashes

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
missmoondog

version 27.9.2 & 27.9.3 crashes

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-06-15, 15:17

had version 27.9.2 installed on a brand new lubuntu 18.04 install and it started crashing fairly often. removed it and waited for new version to come out. just crashed signning out of my hushmail and protonmail accounts!

palemoon NEVER has crashed before and i've been using it for a long time. only extensions i have are ublock origin and ublock origin updater and i'm NOT going to remove those. they have never caused any issues before either.

don't know what's been changed to start causing this but will not be using palemoon much longer if this continues. started using vivaldi browser and it's very quick and doesn't crash, so might be time for a change, maybe.

anyone have any ideas on what is causing the crashes.

thank you

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: version 27.9.2 & 27.9.3 crashes

Unread post by adesh » 2018-06-15, 15:33

Try running the browser binary from command line and see if it spits out any errors.
Also, if you can capture and share core dump, that may help. Not sure if Moonchild creates any build with debug symbols, those may be handy for the core dump.

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-06-15, 15:47

don't have a clue how to do any of what you suggest! :(

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-15, 16:43

missmoondog: maybe this thread helps. Seems *buntu 18.04 flavors omit certain system fonts which can cause trouble.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19013
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-06-15, 23:22

Is this with the builds from my repository or installed manually or with the PM installer?

If it really needs the font package, I could add it as a Recommends or a hard dependency for my builds. The difference is that a recommended package may or not get installed automatically, depending on how a distro configures apt to install recommends.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-15, 23:51

If it really causes these level of issues you should consider it a hard dependency, Steve.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mseliger
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mseliger » 2018-06-16, 10:37

missmoondog wrote:don't have a clue how to do any of what you suggest! :(
a) Have you tried to start Palemoon with a new profile or with "Safe Mode"?

=> SafeMode: Help - Restart in Safe Mode (then you can configure if extensions are disabled etc.)

=> NewProfile: Go to your Pale Moon Installation directory. If you use the installer it is
/opt/palemoon
Open a command line in this folder and type palemoon -p. This will start the profile manager and you can add a new profile to try, if the errors are vanished.

b) You may also try to open palemoon from the command line - this is what adesh means:

=> Go to folder /opt/palemoon and open a terminal in this folder
=> Start palemmon by typing its name in the terminal
There might be some messages when you start palemoon. These messages might be helpful and you can post them in the forum.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Greetings
Maria
---
Ich bin ein Westfale, und zwar ein Stockwestfale, nämlich ein Münsterländer – Gott sei Dank! füge ich hinzu ...
Annette von Droste zu Hülshoff, Bei uns zu Lande auf dem Lande

mseliger
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mseliger » 2018-06-16, 10:41

stevepusser wrote:Is this with the builds from my repository or installed manually or with the PM installer?

If it really needs the font package, I could add it as a Recommends or a hard dependency for my builds. The difference is that a recommended package may or not get installed automatically, depending on how a distro configures apt to install recommends.
Perhaps not a bad idea, but although I've have installed Thunderbird with the official (L)Ubuntu packages, it does not install the font fonts-symbola (and the error in Thunderbird is as worse as the error in Pale Moon when browsing some special sites).

But perhaps we could put a note somewhere in a FAQ Section for Linux problems with Pale Moon.
Maria
---
Ich bin ein Westfale, und zwar ein Stockwestfale, nämlich ein Münsterländer – Gott sei Dank! füge ich hinzu ...

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-06-17, 23:22

Moonchild wrote:If it really causes these level of issues you should consider it a hard dependency, Steve.
OK...I'll also add fonts-symbola 2.60 to the repo so that the older distros get the latest version (supports the 9.0 emoji standards, whatever those are)

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-06-18, 10:46

stevepusser wrote:Is this with the builds from my repository or installed manually or with the PM installer?

installed from here, https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... e=palemoon

let us know when you add that font package and maybe i'll try and install palemoon on my machines again.

thank you
Last edited by missmoondog on 2018-06-18, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-06-19, 14:56

i see in the updates that the symbola fonts were added to palemoon. testing to see if it still crashes and all websites work visually.

thank you

edit:
the drop down list for choosing which version of ubuntu you're using doesn't ever appear on this page, https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... e=palemoon when using palemoon. it acted like that even before the new fonts were installed also. that sure is a slow loading website too!

edit 2:
nope, nothing is fixed. crashed almost immediately watching youtube video. uninstalled! will stick with firefox, vivaldi and sometimes chromium. :(
Last edited by missmoondog on 2018-06-19, 15:11, edited 2 times in total.

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-06-20, 17:13

fortunately or unfortunately, depends on how you look at this, palemoon works just fine on the 1 windows computer in house. the unfortunate part is that i very seldom use that computer as it's the spouse's.

i like palemoon to much to totally give up on it just yet. maybe when the first point release comes out for ubuntu, i will give it another try. so far, i don't think 18.04 is as stable as 16.04 was as i've had a couple weird things happen when putting computer into suspend and shutting down.

mseliger
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mseliger » 2018-06-20, 20:03

missmoondog wrote: nope, nothing is fixed. crashed almost immediately watching youtube video. uninstalled! will stick with firefox, vivaldi and sometimes chromium. :(
Have you tried "Safe Mode" or a new profile which I had suggested? Sometimes profiles are broken. Exit Pale Moon. In your home-directory /home/<your username> you find a hidden folder named .moonchild productions. Backup (Copy) this folder to another destination e.g. /home/<your username/Documents and start Pale Moon. The folder is new created when you start Pale Moon again, but your user data like saved passwords, bookmarks, extensions are lost. Does Pale Moon crash again? If not, you should try a fresh start with Pale Moon. All your other data like bookmarks etc. are stored in the folder you have copied / backup and you can later copy (some) of the file in your new profile of Pale Moon.
Maria
---

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-06-21, 11:07

didn't explicitly state that in my first post but after removing palemoon, i had deleted the moonchild folder, thus creating a new everything. also, cleaned the crap out of stuff with bleachbit in root mode.

edit:
ok, trying palemoon again and installed using the palemoon installer this time as the page i had posted above is down, again! that site sure has it's issues!!
so far, no crashes after an hour or so of use. :)
Last edited by missmoondog on 2018-06-21, 14:15, edited 2 times in total.

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-06-25, 14:23

well, palemoon crashed again. i'm beginning to think it's caused from simply clicking links to fast. have seemed to notice on a couple computers now that if i wait for each site to totally load before going else where, i have no issues, but was just now clicking around quite fast and poof, crash, as i was signing out my hushmail account.

the speed of clicking around is about the only thing i can think of causing this, but can't say as i've ever had that issue before.

edit:
when the box appeared to show details of error, it closed instantly also, when i clicked display. never got chance to submit error!
Last edited by missmoondog on 2018-06-25, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.