Open tabs in existing Palemoon instances

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
fitheach

Open tabs in existing Palemoon instances

Unread post by fitheach » 2018-06-08, 18:58

I would like to use multiple PM profiles at the same time and then be able to direct the opening of URLs to specific profiles. Is that possible?

I have tried every combination of -no-remote, -new-instance, -remote, -new-tab along with specifying the profile name and couldn't get it to work. I either get:

Code: Select all

Error: No running window found
or

Pale Moon is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Pale Moon process, or restart your system.
Currently, I run a script which allows me to select a profile when I want to open a URL from, for example, my email client or RSS reader. This works in Firefox but not in PM.

Anyone got any ideas?

Using PM 27.8.1 on Debian Stretch x64

Lew Rockwell Fan

Re: Open tabs in existing Palemoon instances

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2018-08-26, 07:31

You might check this out:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=20144
I haven't tested the code below for terminal dependency and so on, but it works fine from lxterminal. If you are trying to do it from a script, try it in some terminals and see if it makes a difference. If you read the page linked above, you'll see I tested a somewhat similar command in 6 contexts, and it only worked from lxterminal or grun. Which is weird. I'd be curious to know if you are experiencing a variation of the same issue. I've noticed before that things don't necessarily work the same way in different terminals. Usually it's lxterminal that is the odd man out but usually the bad actor, instead of the champ.

palemoon -P profilename --new-tab example.com
works for me. You have to give it a url. Or something like a url. A local text file will do:

palemoon -P profilename --new-tab smartass-quips.txt
Or you can use your home page:

palemoon -P profilename --new-tab about:home
Probably there are lots of strings that would work, but you have to give it some argument.
Last edited by Lew Rockwell Fan on 2018-08-26, 07:43, edited 2 times in total.

Lew Rockwell Fan

Re: Open tabs in existing Palemoon instances

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2018-08-27, 03:37

OK, I may not understand your objective properly, in which case this may not be of interest, but FWIW, I have 2 profiles ATM. I start both from the Openbox menu with a command like this written directly in the menu file (~/.config/openbox/menu.xml):

palemoon -P profilename --new-instance
Whether that is equivalent to opening them from a script running in the background, or opening them from a runbox, I don't know. Until I discovered otherwise a few days ago, I assumed those different methods of running a command should produce the same results. Not so. I'm not even sure they are defaulting to bash like all my terminals do. I can't get either the OB menu or the run box to expand $0 to tell me. They may be running commands in dash instead.

If I start a palemoon from the menu and then

ps -wweo pid,args | grep palemoon | grep -v grep
I get:

30853 palemoon -P fresh --new-instance
If I start a second instance in the other profile from the menu, the same command now gives me

16421 palemoon -P default --new-instance
30853 palemoon -P fresh --new-instance
At that point, I can open a new tab with a specified url in either specified window like this:

palemoon -P fresh --new-tab bitchute.com
or

palemoon -P default --new-tab minds.com
I double checked in xvt, lxterminal, & grun. They all worked the same way.