Default applications

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
kujaw

Default applications

Unread post by kujaw » 2018-06-08, 09:13

Palemoon 27.9.2 @ Arch Linux

When I click here: https://antergos.com/try-it/# on "Download Torrent" I have the popin window asking me to open file with app or save file. The default application for .torrent files in my OS's MIME Type Editor is qBittorrent. Here I have only one possibility - Mousepad (some notepad app), which is also marked as default. I can also choose look for an app on my disk, but it's pain in the ass when I have to do this every time.
When I got to PM preferences -> Applications, there's no .torrent extension.
Any idea what happens here?

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Default applications

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-06-08, 12:16

I think the system chose a text editor because it doesn't recognize torrent files by default.
Anyway, Pale Moon on Linux has a very short list of recognized MIME. It lacks PDF files for example (unless you install an extension for them).
I made an extension to add MIME types to the list: http://addons.palemoon.org/addon/newmime/
Run it and add "application//x-bittorrent" in the MIME type field.
After restarting the browser go to Preferences -> Applications, from which you can select the program to use by default when downloading a torrent file.

kujaw

Unread post by kujaw » 2018-06-08, 12:38

I think the system chose a text editor because it doesn't recognize torrent files by default.
System recognizes, when I click on .torrent file in file manager it opens correctly.

K, I'll try the extension.

kujaw

Unread post by kujaw » 2018-06-08, 12:44

Still the same. Although I've added mime type to the browser and it appears in Prefecences->Applications and shows correctly as available to be opened via qBittorrent, but when I click on the link from previous post only the Mousepad appears as a possibility.
Last edited by kujaw on 2018-06-08, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-06-08, 16:54

I see that I made a typo on my earlier post. The MIME type has two slashes in the name instead of one. It should be "application/x-bittorrent".
Try to add the correct name and see if that works.
Sorry for the incovenience.

kujaw

Unread post by kujaw » 2018-06-08, 19:20

I've rewritten MIME type straight from my system's configuration, so I haven't even noticed your typo ;)
And even that it doesn't work. The file has name "sthsth.iso.torrent", maybe it looks after the first dot? Because even if I set PM to use qBittorrent by default (not ask what app to use) it pops out a window with app selection when I download this .torrent file.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-06-08, 22:30

Yeah, it's probably caused by the fact that your torrent isn't recognized as a torrent.
Can you try downloading a torrent from a different site and see what happens?
What if you try a magnet link?
If other sites work as intended it's an issue with the Antergos website.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-06-09, 05:08

There is no need for mime-type entry to be in "Applications" in Pale Moon preferences. I do not have it, and whenever I click a torrent file, I am asked to open it in my torrent software.

File association on my system:

Code: Select all

$ xdg-mime query default application/x-bittorrent
tixati.desktop
Using XFCE with Arch Linux.

kujaw

Unread post by kujaw » 2018-06-09, 10:45

I've just tried random Piratebay magnet link and downloading torrent from Manjaro website and it works as it should. The file downloaded from AntergOS website isn't opened correctly. I should've check all the possibilities earlier, sorry guys for it. Should I mark the topic as solved?