Default applications

Support and discussions for the x86/x64 Linux version of Pale Moon.

Moderators: trava90, satrow

kujaw
Moongazer
Moongazer

Default applications

Unread postby kujaw » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 09:13

Palemoon 27.9.2 @ Arch Linux

When I click here: https://antergos.com/try-it/# on "Download Torrent" I have the popin window asking me to open file with app or save file. The default application for .torrent files in my OS's MIME Type Editor is qBittorrent. Here I have only one possibility - Mousepad (some notepad app), which is also marked as default. I can also choose look for an app on my disk, but it's pain in the ass when I have to do this every time.
When I got to PM preferences -> Applications, there's no .torrent extension.
Any idea what happens here?

vannilla
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Default applications

Unread postby vannilla » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 12:16

I think the system chose a text editor because it doesn't recognize torrent files by default.
Anyway, Pale Moon on Linux has a very short list of recognized MIME. It lacks PDF files for example (unless you install an extension for them).
I made an extension to add MIME types to the list: http://addons.palemoon.org/addon/newmime/
Run it and add "application//x-bittorrent" in the MIME type field.
After restarting the browser go to Preferences -> Applications, from which you can select the program to use by default when downloading a torrent file.

kujaw
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread postby kujaw » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 12:38

I think the system chose a text editor because it doesn't recognize torrent files by default.

System recognizes, when I click on .torrent file in file manager it opens correctly.

K, I'll try the extension.

kujaw
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread postby kujaw » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 12:44

Still the same. Although I've added mime type to the browser and it appears in Prefecences->Applications and shows correctly as available to be opened via qBittorrent, but when I click on the link from previous post only the Mousepad appears as a possibility.
Last edited by kujaw on Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

vannilla
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread postby vannilla » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 16:54

I see that I made a typo on my earlier post. The MIME type has two slashes in the name instead of one. It should be "application/x-bittorrent".
Try to add the correct name and see if that works.
Sorry for the incovenience.

kujaw
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread postby kujaw » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 19:20

I've rewritten MIME type straight from my system's configuration, so I haven't even noticed your typo ;)
And even that it doesn't work. The file has name "sthsth.iso.torrent", maybe it looks after the first dot? Because even if I set PM to use qBittorrent by default (not ask what app to use) it pops out a window with app selection when I download this .torrent file.

vannilla
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread postby vannilla » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 22:30

Yeah, it's probably caused by the fact that your torrent isn't recognized as a torrent.
Can you try downloading a torrent from a different site and see what happens?
What if you try a magnet link?
If other sites work as intended it's an issue with the Antergos website.

adesh
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread postby adesh » Sat, 09 Jun 2018, 05:08

There is no need for mime-type entry to be in "Applications" in Pale Moon preferences. I do not have it, and whenever I click a torrent file, I am asked to open it in my torrent software.

File association on my system:

Code: Select all

$ xdg-mime query default application/x-bittorrent
tixati.desktop

Using XFCE with Arch Linux.

kujaw
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread postby kujaw » Sat, 09 Jun 2018, 10:45

I've just tried random Piratebay magnet link and downloading torrent from Manjaro website and it works as it should. The file downloaded from AntergOS website isn't opened correctly. I should've check all the possibilities earlier, sorry guys for it. Should I mark the topic as solved?

Return to “Pale Moon for Linux”